* poky-extras
@ 2013-06-28  8:51 Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-06-28  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashfield, Bruce, Hart, Darren; +Cc: yocto

Hi Bruce/Darren,

My attention was drawn to the existence of poky-extras. This was really
a short term gap filling repository and I think the time has come to
remove it. There are basically two chunks of code in there.

The meta-linaro pieces in there haven't been touched in two years and
are therefore dead. I think we should delete them to alleviate any
confusion.

The kernel pieces have been touched more recently. Some moved into the
core, mostly its just example boiler plate type code now. I think this
needs moving to a better named repository if its still wanted/useful, or
we delete it. I personally don't have a strong preference.

Can someone take care of sorting this out?

I did notice there is an empty checksums.ini file in there!

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-06-28 12:52 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-06-28 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Hart, Darren, yocto

On 13-06-28 04:51 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> Hi Bruce/Darren,
>
> My attention was drawn to the existence of poky-extras. This was really
> a short term gap filling repository and I think the time has come to
> remove it. There are basically two chunks of code in there.
>
> The meta-linaro pieces in there haven't been touched in two years and
> are therefore dead. I think we should delete them to alleviate any
> confusion.
>
> The kernel pieces have been touched more recently. Some moved into the
> core, mostly its just example boiler plate type code now. I think this
> needs moving to a better named repository if its still wanted/useful, or
> we delete it. I personally don't have a strong preference.
>
> Can someone take care of sorting this out?

I can take care of finding it a new home. I use the repo daily, and keep
bumping it with examples with each new kernel update or release. I was
working on some urlremapper code for the layer, to replace the old
boiler plate "uncomment this" examples that are current in the recipes ..
that work has been backgrounded, but I can pick it up again as part
of relocating the changes.

I'm out of the office for the next week and a half, but can have a look
after that. Does that timeframe work ?

Bruce

> I did notice there is an empty checksums.ini file in there!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-06-28 12:57   ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-06-28 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Hart, Darren, yocto

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 08:52 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 13-06-28 04:51 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > Hi Bruce/Darren,
> >
> > My attention was drawn to the existence of poky-extras. This was really
> > a short term gap filling repository and I think the time has come to
> > remove it. There are basically two chunks of code in there.
> >
> > The meta-linaro pieces in there haven't been touched in two years and
> > are therefore dead. I think we should delete them to alleviate any
> > confusion.
> >
> > The kernel pieces have been touched more recently. Some moved into the
> > core, mostly its just example boiler plate type code now. I think this
> > needs moving to a better named repository if its still wanted/useful, or
> > we delete it. I personally don't have a strong preference.
> >
> > Can someone take care of sorting this out?
>
> I can take care of finding it a new home. I use the repo daily, and keep
> bumping it with examples with each new kernel update or release. I was
> working on some urlremapper code for the layer, to replace the old
> boiler plate "uncomment this" examples that are current in the recipes ..
> that work has been backgrounded, but I can pick it up again as part
> of relocating the changes.
>
> I'm out of the office for the next week and a half, but can have a look
> after that. Does that timeframe work ?

Yes, its not urgent and I don't want to remove something people use. I
do think that this would better as a meta-yocto-kernel or something
similar. How about we simply rename it to that and delete meta-linaro
from it?

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-06-28 13:02     ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-06-28 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Hart, Darren, yocto

On 13-06-28 08:57 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 08:52 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On 13-06-28 04:51 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
>>> Hi Bruce/Darren,
>>>
>>> My attention was drawn to the existence of poky-extras. This was really
>>> a short term gap filling repository and I think the time has come to
>>> remove it. There are basically two chunks of code in there.
>>>
>>> The meta-linaro pieces in there haven't been touched in two years and
>>> are therefore dead. I think we should delete them to alleviate any
>>> confusion.
>>>
>>> The kernel pieces have been touched more recently. Some moved into the
>>> core, mostly its just example boiler plate type code now. I think this
>>> needs moving to a better named repository if its still wanted/useful, or
>>> we delete it. I personally don't have a strong preference.
>>>
>>> Can someone take care of sorting this out?
>>
>> I can take care of finding it a new home. I use the repo daily, and keep
>> bumping it with examples with each new kernel update or release. I was
>> working on some urlremapper code for the layer, to replace the old
>> boiler plate "uncomment this" examples that are current in the recipes ..
>> that work has been backgrounded, but I can pick it up again as part
>> of relocating the changes.
>>
>> I'm out of the office for the next week and a half, but can have a look
>> after that. Does that timeframe work ?
>
> Yes, its not urgent and I don't want to remove something people use. I
> do think that this would better as a meta-yocto-kernel or something
> similar. How about we simply rename it to that and delete meta-linaro
> from it?

Agreed. That's an effective way to clarify what's left in the layer.
I'll take care of cleaning up the contents later.

If it's just the rename, I assume Michael can take care of it and
there's nothing immediate for me to do.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Cheers,
>
> Richard

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-06-28 13:22       ` Rifenbark, Scott M
From: Rifenbark, Scott M @ 2013-06-28 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield, Richard Purdie; +Cc: Hart, Darren, yocto

All I need is the name to make some initial changes.

Scott

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-06-28 13:40         ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-06-28 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rifenbark, Scott M; +Cc: Hart, Darren, yocto

On 13-06-28 09:22 AM, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
> All I need is the name to make some initial changes.

Personally, I'm fine with 'meta-yocto-kernel'. Naming things is
never easy, so I won't agonize over whether or not an "extras"
should be on the end. But the name should be clear that it isn't
the main yocto kernel, it's just a few crappy bbappends that make
working with it locally easier for some :)

So my only counter proposal is: meta-yocto-kernel-extras

I'm going to de-crapify the bbappends so they are more useful, and
have started on that work, but haven't finished it yet.

Bruce

> Scott

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-06-28 13:49           ` Rifenbark, Scott M
From: Rifenbark, Scott M @ 2013-06-28 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Hart, Darren, yocto

I would favor adding "extras" into the name then so there is no confusion over it being the main thing.

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-06-28 13:56           ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-06-28 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Hart, Darren, yocto

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 09:40 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 13-06-28 09:22 AM, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
> > All I need is the name to make some initial changes.
>
> Personally, I'm fine with 'meta-yocto-kernel'. Naming things is
> never easy, so I won't agonize over whether or not an "extras"
> should be on the end. But the name should be clear that it isn't
> the main yocto kernel, it's just a few crappy bbappends that make
> working with it locally easier for some :)
>
> So my only counter proposal is: meta-yocto-kernel-extras
>
> I'm going to de-crapify the bbappends so they are more useful, and
> have started on that work, but haven't finished it yet.

No strong feelings here. I just wiped out meta-linaro from there (hoping
Darren won't mind) and that checksums.ini file.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-06-29  5:08             ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-06-29  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 14:56 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 09:40 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> > On 13-06-28 09:22 AM, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
> > > All I need is the name to make some initial changes.
> >
> > Personally, I'm fine with 'meta-yocto-kernel'. Naming things is
> > never easy, so I won't agonize over whether or not an "extras"
> > should be on the end. But the name should be clear that it isn't
> > the main yocto kernel, it's just a few crappy bbappends that make
> > working with it locally easier for some :)
> >
> > So my only counter proposal is: meta-yocto-kernel-extras
> >
> > I'm going to de-crapify the bbappends so they are more useful, and
> > have started on that work, but haven't finished it yet.
>
> No strong feelings here. I just wiped out meta-linaro from there (hoping
> Darren won't mind) and that checksums.ini file.

That's fine, I was just thinking about that last week when I saw Linaro
has a meta-linaro. That's where it belongs, so buh-bye. :-)

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-07-01  5:19               ` Rifenbark, Scott M
From: Rifenbark, Scott M @ 2013-07-01  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hart, Darren, Richard Purdie; +Cc: yocto

Hi,

I updated the dev-manual section that tells the user what is in this repo and shows an example of cloning it.  Nothing changes except for the name, which I switched to 'meta-yocto-kernel-extras'.  To me, it appears that the contents of the repo still contain the kernel BitBake append files that you edit to point to your locally modified kernel source files as described in the text.  Within the entire YP documentation set, this little area is the only reference to the old 'poky-extras' repo.  Here is the link to see the changes - http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.5/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#meta-yocto-kernel-extras-repo.

I am assuming that the name of the repo will indeed be changed to 'meta-yocto-kernel-extras'.  If I don't hear from anyone, I will assume everything is good.

Thanks,
Scott

@ 2013-07-01  5:33                 ` Michael Halstead
From: Michael Halstead @ 2013-07-01  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rifenbark, Scott M; +Cc: Hart, Darren, yocto

I can change the name shortly. Is there any reason to keep a read-only
copy available at the current location temporarily?

Michael Halstead
Yocto Project / Sys Admin

@ 2013-07-01  5:44                   ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-07-01  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Halstead; +Cc: yocto

On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 22:33 -0700, Michael Halstead wrote:
> I can change the name shortly. Is there any reason to keep a read-only
> copy available at the current location temporarily?

Not really. Unless Bruce is using it in some automated scripts that need
to be updated.

--
Darren

@ 2013-07-01  6:18                     ` Michael Halstead
From: Michael Halstead @ 2013-07-01  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart, Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto

On 06/30/2013 10:44 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 22:33 -0700, Michael Halstead wrote:
>> I can change the name shortly. Is there any reason to keep a read-only
>> copy available at the current location temporarily?
> Not really. Unless Bruce is using it in some automated scripts that need
> to be updated.
>
> --
> Darren
The name has been changed. Shall we update the description or is
"Supplementary metadata layers to extend the Poky core
<https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-yocto-kernel-extras/>"
still appropriate?

Thanks,

Michael Halstead
Yocto Project / Sys Admin

@ 2013-07-01  6:46                       ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-07-01  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Halstead; +Cc: Darren Hart, yocto

On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 23:18 -0700, Michael Halstead wrote:
> On 06/30/2013 10:44 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 22:33 -0700, Michael Halstead wrote:
> > > I can change the name shortly. Is there any reason to keep a read-only
> > > copy available at the current location temporarily?
> > Not really. Unless Bruce is using it in some automated scripts that need
> > to be updated.
> >

> The name has been changed. Shall we update the description or is
> "Supplementary metadata layers to extend the Poky core" still
> appropriate?

We can change it to something like "Supplementary linux-yocto kernel
development metadata" unless Bruce has any better description.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-07-01 17:28                         ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-07-01 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: yocto

On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 07:46 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 23:18 -0700, Michael Halstead wrote:
> > > Not really. Unless Bruce is using it in some automated scripts that need
> > > to be updated.
> > >

> > The name has been changed. Shall we update the description or is
> > "Supplementary metadata layers to extend the Poky core" still
> > appropriate?
>
> We can change it to something like "Supplementary linux-yocto kernel
> development metadata" unless Bruce has any better description.

Bruce is out this week with limited email access. He isn't terribly
picky on naming and that description should work as good as any.

--

@ 2013-07-01 17:31                           ` Rifenbark, Scott M
From: Rifenbark, Scott M @ 2013-07-01 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hart, Darren, Richard Purdie; +Cc: yocto

I think the name is meta-yocto-kernel-extras.  That is what I have pushed to the docs.

Scott

@ 2013-07-03  2:24                   ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-07-03  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Halstead; +Cc: Hart, Darren, yocto

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM, Michael Halstead
<michael@yoctoproject.org> wrote:
> I can change the name shortly. Is there any reason to keep a read-only
> copy available at the current location temporarily?

It can't hurt, but I also can't think of a really compelling reason that it is
absolutely required. By the name alone, we can be sure that nothing
core to a build uses it, or fetches it, and that anyone with a copy can
continue to use their local copy under the current name .. until they
track down the new repo name.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Michael Halstead
> Yocto Project / Sys Admin
>
> On 06/30/2013 10:19 PM, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I updated the dev-manual section that tells the user what is in this repo and shows an example of cloning it.  Nothing changes except for the name, which I switched to 'meta-yocto-kernel-extras'.  To me, it appears that the contents of the repo still contain the kernel BitBake append files that you edit to point to your locally modified kernel source files as described in the text.  Within the entire YP documentation set, this little area is the only reference to the old 'poky-extras' repo.  Here is the link to see the changes - http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.5/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#meta-yocto-kernel-extras-repo.
>>
>> I am assuming that the name of the repo will indeed be changed to 'meta-yocto-kernel-extras'.  If I don't hear from anyone, I will assume everything is good.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott

thee at its end"

* Re: poky-extras
@ 2013-07-03  2:26                           ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-07-03  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Darren Hart <darren.hart@intel.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 07:46 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
>> > >

>> > The name has been changed. Shall we update the description or is
>> > "Supplementary metadata layers to extend the Poky core" still
>> > appropriate?
>>
>> We can change it to something like "Supplementary linux-yocto kernel
>> development metadata" unless Bruce has any better description.
>
> Bruce is out this week with limited email access. He isn't terribly
> picky on naming and that description should work as good as any.

Yup, and apparently my access when it comes back .. makes me
read email in random order!

The description and resolution are all fine with me.

Bruce