* [linux-lvm] LVM handling the entire physical disk
@ 2013-07-01 10:51 Alessandro MACUZ
From: Alessandro MACUZ @ 2013-07-01 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

What are the benefits/disadvantages between building VGs over 0x8e
partitions or having LVM managing the entire disk with no partition table?

We're not speaking about boot volumes since I assume I know how to handle
that case.

Alex

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM handling the entire physical disk
@ 2013-07-02 14:29 ` matthew patton
From: matthew patton @ 2013-07-02 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

The only reason to use partitions anymore is if you want to break the PV:VG=1:1 relationship such that a single spindle can be part of multiple VGs. For example I have been known to short-stroke a disk into an outer quarter, a middle half, and leave the rest undefined with appropriately named VolumeGroups. Otherwise just use the raw, un-partitioned disk.

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM handling the entire physical disk
@ 2013-07-02 17:22 ` Stuart Gathman
From: Stuart Gathman @ 2013-07-02 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Long ago, Nostradamus foresaw that on 07/01/2013 06:51 AM, Alessandro
MACUZ would write:
> What are the benefits/disadvantages between building VGs over 0x8e
> partitions or having LVM managing the entire disk with no partition
> table?
>
> We're not speaking about boot volumes since I assume I know how to
> handle that case.

Disadvantage:

If the disk will/could ever be seen by another OS, it is better if the
alien OS knows there is some data (of unknown format) there via the
partition table.  This can help prevent accidental reformatting.

Advantage:

When mapping virtual disks to virtual machines, I find it especially
useful to bypass partition tables.  Using kpartx to access partitions
from the host is just another layer of complexity that doesn't buy you
anything.