* Does a kernel developer need a hardware to do kernel development?
@ 2016-09-30 23:07 Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2016-09-30 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

(1)
I want to work on staging drivers. But I've two questions,
Does a kernel developer need a hardware (e.g. board) to do kernel
development?

(2)
I'm able to send patch using sendmail and git. I'm able to apply patch
using git-am.
But unable to setup mutt to download patch from this emailid.
How to setup mutt to download patches?

Amit Kumar
Twitter: @freeark1
Only Numbers Can Command.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Does a kernel developer need a hardware to do kernel development?
@ 2016-10-01  1:58 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2016-10-01  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 23:07:11 -0000, Amit Kumar said:

> Does a kernel developer need a hardware (e.g. board) to do kernel
> development?

That *really* depends on exactly what part of the kernel the developer is
working on.   If you're  monkeying with the IPv6 code in the networking
stack, or adding new features to btrfs, all you need is any system that
can support a network connection or a disk.

But if you're trying to cram a Linux kernel onto specific new hardware,
how are you going to test the drivers without at least access to the hardware?
You may not need the hardware yourself, but at the very least you will need
somebody who *does* have the hardware and is willing/able to test for you.
* Does a kernel developer need a hardware to do kernel development?
@ 2016-10-01  3:04   ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2016-10-01  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016, 7:28 AM <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 23:07:11 -0000, Amit Kumar said:
>
> > Does a kernel developer need a hardware (e.g. board) to do kernel
> > development?
>
> That *really* depends on exactly what part of the kernel the developer is
> working on.   If you're  monkeying with the IPv6 code in the networking
> stack, or adding new features to btrfs, all you need is any system that
> can support a network connection or a disk.
>
> But if you're trying to cram a Linux kernel onto specific new hardware,
> how are you going to test the drivers without at least access to the
> hardware?
> You may not need the hardware yourself, but at the very least you will need
> somebody who *does* have the hardware and is willing/able to test for you.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm able to send patch using sendmail and git, which you have seen
yesterday "initest".
I'm able to apply patch using git-am.  But I am unable to setup mutt to

@ 2016-10-01  3:14     ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2016-10-01  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, 01 Oct 2016 03:04:28 -0000, Amit Kumar said:
> How to setup mutt to download patches?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux+kernel+patch+mutt

Also, you probably should read this:

Eric S. Raymond wrote it a *long* time ago, but the basic principles
still stand.