* Booting NetBSD in pygrub
@ 2013-09-07 11:56 M. Boerschig
From: M. Boerschig @ 2013-09-07 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi,

I'm working on NetBSD support in pygrub: I've posted my work on the
NetBSD port-xen list [1].  It adds support for FFSv2 to tools/libfsimage
and NetBSD partition/disklabel support to tools/pygrub.
I started off using xen-unstable and the xl tools on a kernel 3.2, but
I'm now on xen-4.3 and kernel 3.10.

Retrieving the kernel and arguments appears to work, but the boot
process waits for a console escape character before continuing:

 dom0# pygrub --debug --output-directory=/tmp /dev/mapper/vg00-ffsv2
 linux (kernel /tmp/boot_kernel.NR37Lm)(args "root=xbd0 ")
 dom0# md5sum /tmp/boot_kernel.NR37Lm
 9e492b31e18f7e816f3e374d7f365857  /tmp/boot_kernel.NR37Lm
 dom0# $XEN/tools/xcutils/readnotes /tmp/boot_kernel.NR37Lm
 __xen_guest: GUEST_OS=NetBSD,GUEST_VER=4.99,XEN_VER=xen-3.0,LOADER=generic,
 VIRT_BASE=0xffffffff80000000,ELF_PADDR_OFFSET=0xffffffff80000000,
 VIRT_ENTRY=0xffffffff80100000,HYPERCALL_PAGE=0x00000101,BSD_SYMTAB=yes

 dom0# xl create -c ffsv2/config
 Parsing config from ffsv2/config
 #XXX here it hangs in a xenconsole until a Control-] is enterted
 ^]
 Daemon running with PID 3635
 Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
     2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
     The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
 Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
     The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

 NetBSD 6.1 (XEN3_DOMU)
 total memory = 512 MB
 avail memory = 487 MB
 mainbus0 (root)
 hypervisor0 at mainbus0: Xen version 4.3.1-pre
 [... snip]
 boot device: xbd0
 root on xbd0a dumps on xbd0b
 Your machine does not initialize mem_clusters; sparse_dumps disabled
 root file system type: ffs
 /etc/rc.conf is not configured.  Multiuser boot aborted.
 Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: /bin/ksh
 # md5 /netbsd
 MD5 (/netbsd) = 9e492b31e18f7e816f3e374d7f365857

I've tracked this issue down to the boot hanging in a xenconsole:
xenconsoled creates a xenconsole which basically does nothing.
The boot continues with a new xenconsole after sending a control-].
I experimented with different boot arguments like "console=hvc0
xencons=tty" to no avail.

I'm really clueless about what's wrong.
Any help appreciated.

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2013/09/02/msg008020.html

* Re: Booting NetBSD in pygrub
@ 2013-09-09 12:35 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-09-09 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Boerschig; +Cc: xen-devel

On Sat, 2013-09-07 at 11:56 +0000, M. Boerschig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on NetBSD support in pygrub: I've posted my work on the
> NetBSD port-xen list [1].  It adds support for FFSv2 to tools/libfsimage
> and NetBSD partition/disklabel support to tools/pygrub.
> I started off using xen-unstable and the xl tools on a kernel 3.2, but
> I'm now on xen-4.3 and kernel 3.10.

I think this implies a Linux dom0?

I imagine this is equally broken with a Linux domU, because it doesn't
seem likely to be guest specific, given that it is mostly before the
guest runs...

> Retrieving the kernel and arguments appears to work, but the boot
> process waits for a console escape character before continuing:
>
>  dom0# pygrub --debug --output-directory=/tmp /dev/mapper/vg00-ffsv2
>  linux (kernel /tmp/boot_kernel.NR37Lm)(args "root=xbd0 ")
>  dom0# md5sum /tmp/boot_kernel.NR37Lm
>  9e492b31e18f7e816f3e374d7f365857  /tmp/boot_kernel.NR37Lm
>  dom0# $XEN/tools/xcutils/readnotes /tmp/boot_kernel.NR37Lm
>  __xen_guest: GUEST_OS=NetBSD,GUEST_VER=4.99,XEN_VER=xen-3.0,LOADER=generic,
>  VIRT_BASE=0xffffffff80000000,ELF_PADDR_OFFSET=0xffffffff80000000,
>  VIRT_ENTRY=0xffffffff80100000,HYPERCALL_PAGE=0x00000101,BSD_SYMTAB=yes
>
>  dom0# xl create -c ffsv2/config
>  Parsing config from ffsv2/config
>  #XXX here it hangs in a xenconsole until a Control-] is enterted
>  ^]
>  Daemon running with PID 3635
>  Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
>      2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
>      The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
>  Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
>      The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
>
>  NetBSD 6.1 (XEN3_DOMU)
>  total memory = 512 MB
>  avail memory = 487 MB
>  mainbus0 (root)
>  hypervisor0 at mainbus0: Xen version 4.3.1-pre
>  [... snip]
>  boot device: xbd0
>  root on xbd0a dumps on xbd0b
>  Your machine does not initialize mem_clusters; sparse_dumps disabled
>  root file system type: ffs
>  /etc/rc.conf is not configured.  Multiuser boot aborted.
>  Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: /bin/ksh
>  # md5 /netbsd
>  MD5 (/netbsd) = 9e492b31e18f7e816f3e374d7f365857
>
> I've tracked this issue down to the boot hanging in a xenconsole:
> xenconsoled creates a xenconsole which basically does nothing.
> The boot continues with a new xenconsole after sending a control-].
> I experimented with different boot arguments like "console=hvc0
> xencons=tty" to no avail.
>
> I'm really clueless about what's wrong.

This stuff ha been a bit fragile in the past, I wouldn't be too
surprised if it had regressed, especially since it isn't especially
amenable to automated testing.

What is supposed to happen is that pygrub gets launched attached to a
pty, and that ptr gets written to xenstore such that the xenconsole
client connects to it and presents the pygrub output to the user as if
it were the guest console, xl acts as a pump copying data back and forth
between the console pty and pygrubs pty (since both console and pygrub
expect to be a slave). Much of this code is in libxl_bootloader.c.

Once pygrub exits this pty disappears and the console client should
reattach to the real guest console pty, which is provided by
xenconsoled.

It sounds like that first connection is not going to the right place or
is otherwise broken.

Are you seeing the pygrub menu? DO you expect to? Perhaps the automatic
exit of the first session is not working?

The last relevant looking commit to libxl_bootloader.c was
7253e0fd1aeb3ae7d4714bcc1d86b846b3331995 which looks like the sort of
thing which might accidentally introduce such behaviour.

@ 2013-09-09 17:52   ` M. Boerschig
From: M. Boerschig @ 2013-09-09 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel

On 09/09/13 14:35, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-09-07 at 11:56 +0000, M. Boerschig wrote:
> I think this implies a Linux dom0?

Yes, of course. I didn't even get a recent xen (> 4.2) to compile on my
NetBSD machine.

> I imagine this is equally broken with a Linux domU, because it doesn't
> seem likely to be guest specific, given that it is mostly before the
> guest runs...

An Ubuntu domU works on this same machine, so I think this problem is
limited to my use case (or a similar one, like solaris)

> This stuff ha been a bit fragile in the past, I wouldn't be too
> surprised if it had regressed, especially since it isn't especially
> amenable to automated testing.
>
> What is supposed to happen is that pygrub gets launched attached to a
> pty, and that ptr gets written to xenstore such that the xenconsole
> client connects to it and presents the pygrub output to the user as if
> it were the guest console, xl acts as a pump copying data back and forth
> between the console pty and pygrubs pty (since both console and pygrub
> expect to be a slave). Much of this code is in libxl_bootloader.c.
>
> Once pygrub exits this pty disappears and the console client should
> reattach to the real guest console pty, which is provided by
> xenconsoled.
>
> It sounds like that first connection is not going to the right place or
> is otherwise broken.
>
> Are you seeing the pygrub menu? DO you expect to? Perhaps the automatic
> exit of the first session is not working?

No, and I didn't expect a menu to appear.
I assumed a menu is only displayed if the run_grub()-method succeeds in
finding a valid GRUB menu.lst/config on the disk.
I used the sniff_solaris() code as a guideline: if I understand the code
correctly it just returns a configuration dictionary without displaying
anything.

> The last relevant looking commit to libxl_bootloader.c was
> 7253e0fd1aeb3ae7d4714bcc1d86b846b3331995 which looks like the sort of
> thing which might accidentally introduce such behaviour.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll investigate if pygrub's exit is properly
handled later this week.

@ 2013-09-10  8:29     ` Egger, Christoph
From: Egger, Christoph @ 2013-09-10  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Boerschig; +Cc: Ian Campbell, xen-devel

On 09.09.13 19:52, M. Boerschig wrote:
> On 09/09/13 14:35, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> On Sat, 2013-09-07 at 11:56 +0000, M. Boerschig wrote:
>> I think this implies a Linux dom0?
>
> Yes, of course. I didn't even get a recent xen (> 4.2) to compile on my
> NetBSD machine.

Can you report build errors on this list, please?

Christoph

* Re: Booting NetBSD in pygrub
@ 2013-09-10  8:56     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-09-10  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Boerschig; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 19:52 +0200, M. Boerschig wrote:
> On 09/09/13 14:35, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-09-07 at 11:56 +0000, M. Boerschig wrote:
> > I think this implies a Linux dom0?
>
> Yes, of course. I didn't even get a recent xen (> 4.2) to compile on my
> NetBSD machine.
>

> > I imagine this is equally broken with a Linux domU, because it doesn't
> > seem likely to be guest specific, given that it is mostly before the
> > guest runs...
> >

> An Ubuntu domU works on this same machine, so I think this problem is
> limited to my use case (or a similar one, like solaris)

In this case do you get the interactive menu? I wonder if passing
bootloader_args = ["--entry=0"] would reproduce the same error you are
seeing by skipping the menu and making it behave like sniff_solaris?

> > This stuff ha been a bit fragile in the past, I wouldn't be too
> > surprised if it had regressed, especially since it isn't especially
> > amenable to automated testing.
> >
> > What is supposed to happen is that pygrub gets launched attached to a
> > pty, and that ptr gets written to xenstore such that the xenconsole
> > client connects to it and presents the pygrub output to the user as if
> > it were the guest console, xl acts as a pump copying data back and forth
> > between the console pty and pygrubs pty (since both console and pygrub
> > expect to be a slave). Much of this code is in libxl_bootloader.c.
> >
> > Once pygrub exits this pty disappears and the console client should
> > reattach to the real guest console pty, which is provided by
> > xenconsoled.
> >
> > It sounds like that first connection is not going to the right place or
> > is otherwise broken.
> >
> > Are you seeing the pygrub menu? DO you expect to? Perhaps the automatic
> > exit of the first session is not working?
>
> No, and I didn't expect a menu to appear.
> I assumed a menu is only displayed if the run_grub()-method succeeds in
> finding a valid GRUB menu.lst/config on the disk.
> I used the sniff_solaris() code as a guideline: if I understand the code
> correctly it just returns a configuration dictionary without displaying
> anything.

OK.

> > The last relevant looking commit to libxl_bootloader.c was
> > 7253e0fd1aeb3ae7d4714bcc1d86b846b3331995 which looks like the sort of
> > thing which might accidentally introduce such behaviour.
>
> Thanks for the pointer, I'll investigate if pygrub's exit is properly
> handled later this week.

Great, please let us know how you get on!

Ian.

* Re: Booting NetBSD in pygrub
@ 2013-09-13 16:06         ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-09-13 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Boerschig; +Cc: Ian Jackson, xen-devel

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 18:00 +0000, M. Boerschig wrote:
> On 09/10/13 08:56, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, of course. I didn't even get a recent xen (> 4.2) to compile on my
> >> NetBSD machine.

> >> An Ubuntu domU works on this same machine, so I think this problem is
> >> limited to my use case (or a similar one, like solaris)
> >
> > In this case do you get the interactive menu? I wonder if passing
> > bootloader_args = ["--entry=0"] would reproduce the same error you are
> > seeing by skipping the menu and making it behave like sniff_solaris?
> >

> This triggers exactly the same error as with booting a netbsd domU.
> I tested this also on a Ubuntu 13.04 dom0 with an unmodified stable-4.3
> (4.3.1-pre) on a different machine (with another 13.04 domU), just to
> make sure it's nothing I broke.
> So either this problem is specific to debian(-derived) systems or a
> generic problem with libxl.

Probably generic libxl.

> >> No, and I didn't expect a menu to appear.
> >> I assumed a menu is only displayed if the run_grub()-method succeeds in
> >> finding a valid GRUB menu.lst/config on the disk.
> >> I used the sniff_solaris() code as a guideline: if I understand the code
> >> correctly it just returns a configuration dictionary without displaying
> >> anything.
> >
> > OK.

> >> Thanks for the pointer, I'll investigate if pygrub's exit is properly
> >> handled later this week.
> >
> > Great, please let us know how you get on!
>
> I did have less time than anticipated to familiarize with libxl, as I'm
> quite busy studying for an exam ...
> However, I did some debugging and the
> libxl_aoutils.c:datacopier_pollhup_handled() never received a POLLHUP
> event, although execution goes through
> libxl_bootloader.c:bootloader_finished().
> Maybe someone more knowledgable about libxl might want a look at this.

Ian J (cc-d) knows all about POSIX semantics i.e. when POLLHUP can and
should be received etc, I think I might leave this one to him ;-)

> > Ian.

* Re: Booting NetBSD in pygrub
@ 2013-09-13 16:16   ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2013-09-13 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: M. Boerschig, xen-devel

Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Booting NetBSD in pygrub"):
> I imagine this is equally broken with a Linux domU, because it doesn't
> seem likely to be guest specific, given that it is mostly before the
> guest runs...

It may be that the guest fs makes pygrub behave differently.  I'm
suspecting some kind of race.

> > I've tracked this issue down to the boot hanging in a xenconsole:
> > xenconsoled creates a xenconsole which basically does nothing.
> > The boot continues with a new xenconsole after sending a control-].
> > I experimented with different boot arguments like "console=hvc0
> > xencons=tty" to no avail.
> >
> > I'm really clueless about what's wrong.

Can you please run this with xl's verbosity turned way up ?
  xl -vvvv create [etc]

Also, can you see (in ps) whether pygrub is running, and send us the
output of xenstore-ls -fp ?

Ian.

* Re: Booting NetBSD in pygrub
@ 2013-09-13 16:27     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-09-13 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: M. Boerschig, xen-devel

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 17:16 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Booting NetBSD in pygrub"):
> > I imagine this is equally broken with a Linux domU, because it doesn't
> > seem likely to be guest specific, given that it is mostly before the
> > guest runs...
>
> It may be that the guest fs makes pygrub behave differently.

It's pygrub being in non-interactive mode either due to explicit
--entry=FOO or because of the guest type being Solaris or NetBSD for
which pygrub doesn't support an interactive menu.

> I'm suspecting some kind of race.

Yes, given the above pygrub will exit more quickly than normal.

* Re: Booting NetBSD in pygrub
@ 2013-09-13 18:00       ` M. Boerschig
From: M. Boerschig @ 2013-09-13 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel