* scsi-mq + open-iscsi support patches..?
@ 2013-10-28 22:03 Nicholas A. Bellinger
From: Nicholas A. Bellinger @ 2013-10-28 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Christie; +Cc: linux-scsi, LKML, target-devel, Open iSCSI, Or Gerlitz

Hi Mike,

Just curious as to the status of the scsi-mq conversion patches for
open-iscsi that you where working on a while back..?

I'm asking because recently I've been spending alot of time with scsi-mq
+ virtio-scsi, and would really to start banging on iser-target ports
using an scsi-mq enabled iser-initiator as well..

So that said, are there any blockers holding things up towards getting a
working prototype..?

--nab

* Re: scsi-mq + open-iscsi support patches..?
@ 2013-11-01 14:46   ` Mike Christie
From: Mike Christie @ 2013-11-01 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: open-iscsi
  Cc: Nicholas A. Bellinger, linux-scsi, LKML, target-devel, Or Gerlitz

On 10/28/13 5:03 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Just curious as to the status of the scsi-mq conversion patches for
> open-iscsi that you where working on a while back..?
>
> I'm asking because recently I've been spending alot of time with scsi-mq
> + virtio-scsi, and would really to start banging on iser-target ports
> using an scsi-mq enabled iser-initiator as well..
>
> So that said, are there any blockers holding things up towards getting a
> working prototype..?

Just time. Just finished a release at work and just got back from
vacation so hoping to work on this some more in the next weeks.

On a related note, some iscsi vendor has been hitting a crash with your
tree. Have you rebased it it to take in Christoph's changes and fixes
that are in Jens's tree? The code here

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/nab/target-pending.git/log/?h=scsi-mq

looks ok. That is the current code right?

From: Mike Christie @ 2013-11-01 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: open-iscsi-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw
  Cc: Nicholas A. Bellinger, linux-scsi, LKML, target-devel, Or Gerlitz

@ 2013-11-01 20:37     ` Nicholas A. Bellinger
From: Nicholas A. Bellinger @ 2013-11-01 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Christie; +Cc: open-iscsi, linux-scsi, LKML, target-devel, Or Gerlitz

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 09:46 -0500, Mike Christie wrote:
> On 10/28/13 5:03 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > Just curious as to the status of the scsi-mq conversion patches for
> > open-iscsi that you where working on a while back..?
> >
> > I'm asking because recently I've been spending alot of time with scsi-mq
> > + virtio-scsi, and would really to start banging on iser-target ports
> > using an scsi-mq enabled iser-initiator as well..
> >
> > So that said, are there any blockers holding things up towards getting a
> > working prototype..?
> >

> Just time. Just finished a release at work and just got back from
> vacation so hoping to work on this some more in the next weeks.

<nod>

Btw, I'm happy to help move things along here too, and have a few extra
cycles to spare..

> On a related note, some iscsi vendor has been hitting a crash with your
> tree.

I got an email from Jayamohan recently, but the OOPs did not appear to
be scsi-mq related..

>  Have you rebased it it to take in Christoph's changes and fixes
> that are in Jens's tree? The code here
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/nab/target-pending.git/log/?h=scsi-mq
>
> looks ok. That is the current code right?

It's current as of a few weeks ago, but does not include the very latest
blk-mq code that's now in next from Jens.

I'll be rebasing once blk-mq hits mainline over the next weeks..  ;)

From: Nicholas A. Bellinger @ 2013-11-01 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Christie
  Cc: open-iscsi-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, linux-scsi, LKML,
	target-devel, Or Gerlitz

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 09:46 -0500, Mike Christie wrote:
> On 10/28/13 5:03 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > Just curious as to the status of the scsi-mq conversion patches for
> > open-iscsi that you where working on a while back..?
> >
> > I'm asking because recently I've been spending alot of time with scsi-mq
> > + virtio-scsi, and would really to start banging on iser-target ports
> > using an scsi-mq enabled iser-initiator as well..
> >
> > So that said, are there any blockers holding things up towards getting a
> > working prototype..?
> >

> Just time. Just finished a release at work and just got back from
> vacation so hoping to work on this some more in the next weeks.

<nod>

Btw, I'm happy to help move things along here too, and have a few extra
cycles to spare..

> On a related note, some iscsi vendor has been hitting a crash with your
> tree.

I got an email from Jayamohan recently, but the OOPs did not appear to
be scsi-mq related..

>  Have you rebased it it to take in Christoph's changes and fixes
> that are in Jens's tree? The code here
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/nab/target-pending.git/log/?h=scsi-mq
>
> looks ok. That is the current code right?

It's current as of a few weeks ago, but does not include the very latest
blk-mq code that's now in next from Jens.

I'll be rebasing once blk-mq hits mainline over the next weeks..  ;)

--nab

* Re: some iscsi vendor has been hitting a crash
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2013-11-01 21:28   ` Thomas Glanzmann
From: Thomas Glanzmann @ 2013-11-01 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Christie
  Cc: open-iscsi, Nicholas A. Bellinger, linux-scsi, target-devel, Or Gerlitz

Hello Mike,

* Mike Christie <michaelc@cs.wisc.edu> [2013-11-01 15:56]:
> On a related note, some iscsi vendor has been hitting a crash with
> your tree.

I hit an 'IO stall' with the tree, but was not able to reproduce this.
Has this vendor information on it (dmesg, OOPS)? I reverted back to
RTSOS for production classes that I do not give myself, but will run the
Nab's tree as soon as I give a VMware class myself in order to reproduce
the issue and than track it down.

Cheers,
        Thomas

* Re: some iscsi vendor has been hitting a crash
@ 2013-11-01 23:14     ` Nicholas A. Bellinger
From: Nicholas A. Bellinger @ 2013-11-01 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Glanzmann
  Cc: Mike Christie, open-iscsi, linux-scsi, target-devel, Or Gerlitz

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 22:28 +0100, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> Hello Mike,
>
> * Mike Christie <michaelc@cs.wisc.edu> [2013-11-01 15:56]:
> > On a related note, some iscsi vendor has been hitting a crash with
> > your tree.
>
> I hit an 'IO stall' with the tree, but was not able to reproduce this.
> Has this vendor information on it (dmesg, OOPS)? I reverted back to
> RTSOS for production classes that I do not give myself, but will run the
> Nab's tree as soon as I give a VMware class myself in order to reproduce
> the issue and than track it down.

Hey Thomas,

Mike's talking about the WIP scsi-mq -> blk-mq initiator stack here, and
not specifically about anything related to target code.

@ 2013-11-02  4:35       ` Thomas Glanzmann
From: Thomas Glanzmann @ 2013-11-02  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas A. Bellinger
  Cc: Mike Christie, open-iscsi, linux-scsi, target-devel, Or Gerlitz

Hallo Nab,

> Mike's talking about the WIP scsi-mq -> blk-mq initiator stack here,
> and not specifically about anything related to target code.

I see. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
        Thomas

@ 2013-11-02 16:10     ` Jayamohan Kallickal
From: Jayamohan Kallickal @ 2013-11-02 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: open-iscsi, Mike Christie; +Cc: linux-scsi, LKML, target-devel, Or Gerlitz

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 09:46 -0500, Mike Christie wrote:
> On 10/28/13 5:03 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > Just curious as to the status of the scsi-mq conversion patches for
> > open-iscsi that you where working on a while back..?
> >
> > I'm asking because recently I've been spending alot of time with
> > scsi-mq
> > + virtio-scsi, and would really to start banging on iser-target
> > + ports
> > using an scsi-mq enabled iser-initiator as well..
> >
> > So that said, are there any blockers holding things up towards
> > getting a working prototype..?
> >

> Just time. Just finished a release at work and just got back from
> vacation so hoping to work on this some more in the next weeks.

<nod>

>Btw, I'm happy to help move things along here too, and have a few extra cycles to spare..

>> On a related note, some iscsi vendor has been hitting a crash with
>> your tree.

>I got an email from Jayamohan recently, but the OOPs did not appear to be scsi-mq related..

I do see the crash on my Ubuntu VM running on VirtualBox  but don't see the crash on a Standalone system.
Attaching the screenshot

>  Have you rebased it it to take in Christoph's changes and fixes that
> are in Jens's tree? The code here
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/nab/target-pending.git/lo
> g/?h=scsi-mq
>
> looks ok. That is the current code right?

It's current as of a few weeks ago, but does not include the very latest blk-mq code that's now in next from Jens.

I'll be rebasing once blk-mq hits mainline over the next weeks..  ;)

--nab

[-- Attachment #2: Ubuntu-VM-crash.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 27707 bytes --]

* Re: scsi-mq + open-iscsi support patches..?
@ 2013-11-04 18:56       ` Nicholas A. Bellinger
From: Nicholas A. Bellinger @ 2013-11-04 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayamohan Kallickal
  Cc: open-iscsi, Mike Christie, linux-scsi, LKML, target-devel, Or Gerlitz

On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 16:10 +0000, Jayamohan Kallickal wrote:

<SNIP>

> >> On a related note, some iscsi vendor has been hitting a crash with
> >> your tree.
>
> >I got an email from Jayamohan recently, but the OOPs did not appear to be scsi-mq related..
>
> I do see the crash on my Ubuntu VM running on VirtualBox  but don't see the crash on a Standalone system.
> Attaching the screenshot

Hi Jayamohan,

Care to enable the virtual serial port for this VM in order to grab the
full dmesg output..?

Also, an idea of what SATA emulation is being used here would be helpful
as well.  (eg: lspci -vvv for the ATA device on the running system)

--nab

* Re: Re: scsi-mq + open-iscsi support patches..?
@ 2013-11-27  2:46           ` kedacomkernel
From: kedacomkernel @ 2013-11-27  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nab, Jayamohan Kallickal
  Cc: open-iscsi, Mike Christie, linux-scsi, LKML, target-devel, Or Gerlitz

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 1246 bytes --]

Hi all,
	I used target-pending/scsi-mq to test intel ahci,but it can't work.I modify some places, now it can work.But still met hung task or oops.
Who can receive my patch for that?

Thanks!
Jianpeng Ma

From: kedacomkernel @ 2013-11-27  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nab, Jayamohan Kallickal
  Cc: open-iscsi, Mike Christie, linux-scsi, LKML, target-devel, Or Gerlitz

@ 2013-11-27 18:43           ` Nicholas A. Bellinger
From: Nicholas A. Bellinger @ 2013-11-27 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kedacomkernel; +Cc: linux-scsi, LKML, target-devel

Hi Jianpeng,

(Trimming CC's)

On Wed, 2013-11-27 at 10:46 +0800, kedacomkernel wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I used target-pending/scsi-mq to test intel ahci,but it can't work.I
> modify some places, now it can work.But still met hung task or oops.

So after looking at your patches sent offlist, I don't exactly
understand why they are necessary for AHCI to function.

> Who can receive my patch for that?

Please repost your patches to linux-scsi, with the specifics of each bug
you've encountered, and why each patch is necessary to address the
issue.

Thanks!

--nab