* about remus and xl patches
@ 2013-12-16  7:04 wencongyang
From: wencongyang @ 2013-12-16  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rshriram, xen-devel, eddie.dong

hi, shriram

i don't use this mail to subscribe to the list. so i don't reply the thread.

1. about the script, you check some modules, but the user can build it into the kernel....
2. in the function init_qdisc(), you use nl_socket_alloc() to alloc new netlink socket, but i don't find nl_socket_free()
.  You don't cleanup when something fails?
3. in the function get_guest_vif_list(), you call get_vifname() in LOG(), you don't free the memory.

* Re: about remus and xl patches
@ 2013-12-16  7:57 ` Shriram Rajagopalan
From: Shriram Rajagopalan @ 2013-12-16  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wencongyang; +Cc: eddie.dong, xen-devel

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM, wencongyang <wencongyang@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi, shriram
>
> i don't use this mail to subscribe to the list. so i don't reply the
> thread.
>
> 1. about the script, you check some modules, but the user can build it
> into the kernel....

At the moment, I am only concerned about users who just want to run Remus
on their stock distribution.
(Over the last two years, a majority of Remus help requests I have received
were from people who didnt have the expertise
or did not want to mess with custom kernels on their test boxes :) ). So I
figured if someone is smart enough to compile
a module into the kernel itself, he/she would be easily able to fix the
script to make Remus work in their setup :).

> 2. in the function init_qdisc(), you use nl_socket_alloc() to alloc new
> netlink socket, but i don't find nl_socket_free()

Good catch. Thanks!

> .  You don't cleanup when something fails?

I do. Check the *_teardown functions. It currently uses nl_close. But I
should be using nl_socket_free as it seems to invoke
nl_close too.

> 3. in the function get_guest_vif_list(), you call get_vifname() in LOG(),
> you don't free the memory.

No need to, AFAIK.  get_vifname allocates the string in gc context.
Besides, get_vif_list (and subsequently get_vifname) is a
one time call during net buffer setup, i.e., before Remus starts.

* Re: about remus and xl patches
@ 2013-12-16 10:02   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-12-16 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rshriram; +Cc: wencongyang, eddie.dong, xen-devel

On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 01:57 -0600, Shriram Rajagopalan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM, wencongyang <wencongyang@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         hi, shriram
>
>         i don't use this mail to subscribe to the list. so i don't
>         reply the thread.
>
>         1. about the script, you check some modules, but the user can
>         build it into the kernel....
>

> At the moment, I am only concerned about users who just want to run
> Remus on their stock distribution.
> (Over the last two years, a majority of Remus help requests I have
> received were from people who didnt have the expertise
> or did not want to mess with custom kernels on their test boxes :) ).
> So I figured if someone is smart enough to compile
> a module into the kernel itself, he/she would be easily able to fix
> the script to make Remus work in their setup :).

FWIW rather than using modinfo I think the normal approach is to use
modprobe [-q] which IIRC does the right thing if the module is
statically compiled in.

Ian.

* Re: about remus and xl patches
@ 2013-12-18  1:52   ` Wen Congyang
From: Wen Congyang @ 2013-12-18  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rshriram; +Cc: wencongyang, eddie.dong, xen-devel

At 12/16/2013 03:57 PM, Shriram Rajagopalan Wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM, wencongyang <wencongyang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hi, shriram
>>
>> i don't use this mail to subscribe to the list. so i don't reply the
>> thread.
>>
>> 1. about the script, you check some modules, but the user can build it
>> into the kernel....
>>

> At the moment, I am only concerned about users who just want to run Remus
> on their stock distribution.
> (Over the last two years, a majority of Remus help requests I have received
> were from people who didnt have the expertise
> or did not want to mess with custom kernels on their test boxes :) ). So I
> figured if someone is smart enough to compile
> a module into the kernel itself, he/she would be easily able to fix the
> script to make Remus work in their setup :).

sch_plug sch_ingress act_mirred cls_u32 will be loaded automatically by tc commands.
So I think there is no need to check them. If these modules doesn't exist
or are built into kernel, tc will fail, and we can report error later.

Thanks
Wen Congyang