* passing smbios table from qemu
@ 2014-01-06 21:01 Zhang, Eniac
From: Zhang, Eniac @ 2014-01-06 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Zhang, Eniac

Hi all,

Qemu 1.6.1 allows us to passing multiple SMBIOS table to it using -smbios option(s).  However, I couldn't seem to see the table I passed into guest OS.  I used rwall under the windows and dmidecode under linux, they both returns a fresh smbios table built in the hvmloader instead of the ones I pass into qemu.

I tried to figure out what's missing by digging into the code.  To my surprise, although qemu now can read and put multiple smbios tables in a nice structure, that never gets used by hvmloader or seabios.  I have looked from Xen4.2.0 to Xen4.2.3, with Seabios up to 1.7.3.

Question, am I missing anything, or this feature (passing smbios) is still work in progress?

Regards/Eniac

* Re: passing smbios table from qemu
@ 2014-01-07 13:56 ` Ian Campbell
       [not found]   ` <3B22ECA2D19A3D408C83F4F15A9CB7D45076233C@G4W3221.americas.hpqcorp.net>
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-01-07 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang, Eniac; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, 2014-01-06 at 21:01 +0000, Zhang, Eniac wrote:

> Question, am I missing anything, or this feature (passing smbios) is
> still work in progress?

Under Xen smbios tables are supplied via hvmloader, not via qemu.

What tables and or values do you want to override/supply?

I believe that libxc supports passing in extra smbios tables when
building the guest (via struct xc_hvm_build_args.smbios_module) but
nothing has been plumbed in to make use of this.

I'm not aware of any on going work to plumb that stuff further up, e.g.
to libxl and xl or other toolstacks. (I think the libxc functionality is
only consumed by the XenClient toolstack).

There is also some support in hvmloader for setting certain SMBIOS
parameters via xenstore keys. See the varios HVM_XS_* in
tools/firmware/hvmloader/smbios.c. It includes things like the system
manufacturer, chassis number etc.

Do either of those cover your use case? Are you interested in plumbing
them up?

Ian.

* Re: passing smbios table from qemu
       [not found]           ` <2559B97E2BCECA4BA2AF63DA8CF5C7200D095CD7@G1W3640.americas.hpqcorp.net>
@ 2014-01-08 16:58             ` Zhang, Eniac
From: Zhang, Eniac @ 2014-01-08 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian.Campbell; +Cc: Zhang, Eniac, xen-devel

Dear Ian,

Thanks for the clarification.

None of the things you mentioned addresses my needs where I wanted to pass part of SMBIOS table to guest thus make it look more like the physical host we are running on.  I actually made it work by some extra code.  The change is small but I would like to have our corporate legal staff review it before releasing that to xen community.

On top of that, I still doubt that who-else would be interest in this except myself.  After all, the essence of virtualization is to abstract physical systems rather than trying to make guest looks similar to the host.

Regards/Eniac

@ 2014-01-08 17:51               ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-01-08 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang, Eniac; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, 2014-01-08 at 16:58 +0000, Zhang, Eniac wrote:
> None of the things you mentioned addresses my needs where I wanted to
> passpartof SMBIOStable to guest thus make it look more like the
> physical host we are running on.

I thought that was why the code to let various bits of the tables be set
from xenstore was for -- to allow the tools to propagate bits of host
smbios tables. Is it just not covering some specific value you are
interested in?

>  I actually made it work by some extra code.  The change is small but
> I would like to haveour corporate legal staffreview itbefore releasing
> that to xen community.

Understood.

> On top of that, I still doubt that who-else would be interest in this
> except myself.  After all, the essence of virtualization is to
> abstract physical systems rather than trying to make guest looks
> similar to the host.

As I say some of the existing code is there to serve this usecase, I
don't think it is that weird, e.g. on the client end in particular.

Ian,.

@ 2014-01-08 18:29   ` Ross Philipson
From: Ross Philipson @ 2014-01-08 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell, Zhang, Eniac; +Cc: xen-devel

Just FYI, I did go back and add the support (and docs) for it in
libxl. I did this after the first set of patches went in per someone's
request (can't recall who it was at the moment).

@ 2014-01-09 10:06     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-01-09 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Philipson; +Cc: Zhang, Eniac, xen-devel

On Wed, 2014-01-08 at 18:29 +0000, Ross Philipson wrote:
> [...]

Ah yes, here it is:
       smbios_firmware="STRING"
           Specify a path to a file that contains extra SMBIOS firmware
           structures to pass in to a guest. The file can contain a set DMTF
           predefined structures which will override the internal defaults.
           Not all predefined structures can be overridden, only the
           following types: 0, 1, 2, 3, 11, 22, 39. The file can also contain
           any number of vendor defined SMBIOS structures (type 128 - 255).
           Since SMBIOS structures do not present their overall size, each
           entry in the file must be preceded by a 32b integer indicating the
           size of the next structure.

Did you not have a tool/library for helping to create such blobs
somewhere? Or is my memory playing tricks?

Ian.

* Re: passing smbios table from qemu
@ 2014-01-09 14:46       ` Ross Philipson
From: Ross Philipson @ 2014-01-09 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Zhang, Eniac, xen-devel

On 01/09/2014 05:06 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-01-08 at 18:29 +0000, Ross Philipson wrote:

Your memory is intact; I did provide a helper library. I posted it as a
tarball since I could not figure out where such a thing might live in
the xen tree. I posted it twice - the second time with some fixes:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-03/msg01850.html

@ 2014-01-09 14:56         ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-01-09 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Philipson; +Cc: Zhang, Eniac, xen-devel

On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 09:46 -0500, Ross Philipson wrote:
> On 01/09/2014 05:06 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:

> > Did you not have a tool/library for helping to create such blobs
> > somewhere? Or is my memory playing tricks?
>
> Your memory is intact; I did provide a helper library. I posted it as a
> tarball since I could not figure out where such a thing might live in
> the xen tree. I posted it twice - the second time with some fixes:
>
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-03/msg01850.html

Thanks!

I went looking for a suitable wiki page to link this from, but didn't
find one... Oh well, maybe next time I'll have enough memory to look in
the archives...

Ian.

* Re: passing smbios table from qemu
@ 2014-01-09 19:00         ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2014-01-09 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Philipson; +Cc: Zhang, Eniac, Ian Campbell, xen-devel

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 09:46:59AM -0500, Ross Philipson wrote:
> [...]

Would it make sense to try to have it as part of the Xen tree?
It looks in good shape.

@ 2014-01-10 10:20           ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-01-10 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: Zhang, Eniac, Ross Philipson, xen-devel

On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 14:00 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 09:46:59AM -0500, Ross Philipson wrote:

> > Your memory is intact; I did provide a helper library. I posted it
> > as a tarball since I could not figure out where such a thing might
> > live in the xen tree. I posted it twice - the second time with some
> > fixes:
> >
> > http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-03/msg01850.html
>
> Would it make sense to try to have it as part of the Xen tree?
> It looks in good shape.

I think we considered this before, but I can't remember why we didn't
(assuming we even explicitly decided that rather than just letting it
slip through the cracks).

Ian.

* Re: passing smbios table from qemu
@ 2014-01-10 14:25             ` Ross Philipson
From: Ross Philipson @ 2014-01-10 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel, Zhang, Eniac

On 01/10/2014 05:20 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 14:00 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 09:46:59AM -0500, Ross Philipson wrote:
>
>>> Your memory is intact; I did provide a helper library. I posted it
>>> as a tarball since I could not figure out where such a thing might
>>> live in the xen tree. I posted it twice - the second time with some
>>> fixes:
>>>
>>> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-03/msg01850.html
>>
>> Would it make sense to try to have it as part of the Xen tree?
>> It looks in good shape.
>
> I think we considered this before, but I can't remember why we didn't
> (assuming we even explicitly decided that rather than just letting it
> slip through the cracks).

It has been a while but yea, we did discuss putting it in the tools
somewhere. I then went off and tried to find a reasonable place for it
and could not. The last thing that happened was that I sent an email
asking for suggestions, did not get any replies and then I got
distracted (sorry 'bout that).

So I guess that is the question: where to put it? Should it be merged
into another lib or be brought in as a separate lib or utility?

Thanks
Ross

@ 2014-01-10 15:03               ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-01-10 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Philipson; +Cc: Ian Jackson, xen-devel, Zhang, Eniac

On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 09:25 -0500, Ross Philipson wrote:
> So I guess that is the question: where to put it? Should it be merged
> into another lib or be brought in as a separate lib or utility?

I guess the choices are libxc, libxl, libxlutils or an entirely new lib?

At what level would we expect this to be used? Would it be internal to
e.g. libxl (in which case libxc or libxl would be appropriate) or would
toolstacks be expected to use it and pass the result to libxl? If that
is the case then libxc is inappropriate (users of libxl are not supposed
to have to deal with libxc directly).

Fitting in with libxl proper would require the API to look a certain way
(take a context etc), so perhaps libxlu would be more appropriate,
alongside the disk syntax parser etc?

Ian.

* Re: passing smbios table from qemu
@ 2014-01-10 20:32                 ` Ross Philipson
From: Ross Philipson @ 2014-01-10 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Ian Jackson, xen-devel, Zhang, Eniac

On 01/10/2014 10:03 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 09:25 -0500, Ross Philipson wrote:
>> So I guess that is the question: where to put it? Should it be merged
>> into another lib or be brought in as a separate lib or utility?
>
> I guess the choices are libxc, libxl, libxlutils or an entirely new lib?
>
> At what level would we expect this to be used? Would it be internal to
> e.g. libxl (in which case libxc or libxl would be appropriate) or would
> toolstacks be expected to use it and pass the result to libxl? If that
> is the case then libxc is inappropriate (users of libxl are not supposed
> to have to deal with libxc directly).

I don't think it would be internal to libxl. I think it would be used
the second way you mention; toolstacks would use it and pass the
results. The exact way it is used would be implementation specific.
Files might need to be generated once, on every boot, before vms are
started, etc. I did not think it belonged in either libxl/xc.

> Fitting in with libxl proper would require the API to look a certain way
> (take a context etc), so perhaps libxlu would be more appropriate,
> alongside the disk syntax parser etc?

Possibly. I looked at that back then (and today again) and it seemed to
all be related to parsing things into XLU_Config objects. I guess I did
not have a good feel for what libxlu was supposed to be. If it is
supposed to be a generic library of auxiliary toolstack functionality
then I think it would be a good place.

Thanks
Ross

@ 2014-01-13 10:25                   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-01-13 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Philipson; +Cc: Ian Jackson, xen-devel, Zhang, Eniac

On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 15:32 -0500, Ross Philipson wrote:
> On 01/10/2014 10:03 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > Fitting in with libxl proper would require the API to look a certain way
> > (take a context etc), so perhaps libxlu would be more appropriate,
> > alongside the disk syntax parser etc?
>
> Possibly. I looked at that back then (and today again) and it seemed to
> all be related to parsing things into XLU_Config objects. I guess I did
> not have a good feel for what libxlu was supposed to be. If it is
> supposed to be a generic library of auxiliary toolstack functionality
> then I think it would be a good place.

I think that (aux functionality) was the intention -- the fact that it
is all parsing stuff right now is just a coincidence.

(Ian J: right?)

Ian.

* Re: passing smbios table from qemu
@ 2014-01-13 11:31                     ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2014-01-13 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel, Zhang, Eniac, Ross Philipson

Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] passing smbios table from qemu"):
> On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 15:32 -0500, Ross Philipson wrote:
> > On 01/10/2014 10:03 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > > Fitting in with libxl proper would require the API to look a certain way
> > > (take a context etc), so perhaps libxlu would be more appropriate,
> > > alongside the disk syntax parser etc?
> >
> > Possibly. I looked at that back then (and today again) and it seemed to
> > all be related to parsing things into XLU_Config objects. I guess I did
> > not have a good feel for what libxlu was supposed to be. If it is
> > supposed to be a generic library of auxiliary toolstack functionality
> > then I think it would be a good place.
>
> I think that (aux functionality) was the intention -- the fact that it
> is all parsing stuff right now is just a coincidence.
>
> (Ian J: right?)

Yes, that's right.

Thanks,
Ian.

* Re: passing smbios table from qemu
@ 2014-01-14 15:21                       ` Ross Philipson
From: Ross Philipson @ 2014-01-14 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: xen-devel, Zhang, Eniac, Ian Campbell

On 01/13/2014 06:31 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] passing smbios table from qemu"):
>>>
>>> Possibly. I looked at that back then (and today again) and it seemed to
>>> all be related to parsing things into XLU_Config objects. I guess I did
>>> not have a good feel for what libxlu was supposed to be. If it is
>>> supposed to be a generic library of auxiliary toolstack functionality
>>> then I think it would be a good place.
>>
>> I think that (aux functionality) was the intention -- the fact that it
>> is all parsing stuff right now is just a coincidence.

Ok then libxlu sounds like a reasonable place for this. I will submit a
patch.

>> (Ian J: right?)
>
> Yes, that's right.
>
> Thanks,
> Ian.
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Ross Philipson

* Re: passing smbios table from qemu
@ 2014-01-14 15:23                         ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-01-14 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Philipson; +Cc: Zhang, Eniac, xen-devel, Ian Jackson

On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 10:21 -0500, Ross Philipson wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 06:31 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] passing smbios table from qemu"):

> >> I think that (aux functionality) was the intention -- the fact that it
> >> is all parsing stuff right now is just a coincidence.
>
> Ok then libxlu sounds like a reasonable place for this. I will submit a
> patch.

Thanks. It's probably a bit late to squeeze this in for 4.4, so you've
got a little while until 4.5 development opens.

Ian.

* Re: passing smbios table from qemu
@ 2014-01-14 15:39                           ` Ross Philipson
From: Ross Philipson @ 2014-01-14 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Zhang, Eniac, xen-devel, Ian Jackson

On 01/14/2014 10:23 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 10:21 -0500, Ross Philipson wrote:

>> Ok then libxlu sounds like a reasonable place for this. I will submit a
>> patch.
>
> Thanks. It's probably a bit late to squeeze this in for 4.4, so you've
> got a little while until 4.5 development opens.

Right, I will shoot for 4.5 then - thanks.

--
Ross Philipson