* Request: XenCenter/XE Command To Preserve VM MAC Addresses/VIFs when XS NIC Settings Change
@ 2014-01-22 17:20 Jesse Benedict
From: Jesse Benedict @ 2014-01-22 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'xen-api-request@lists.xen.org', xen-devel

All,

This request comes from experience with many clients.  It is somewhat easy to script, but here it goes:

ISSUE:
We currently have the capability to "AUTOMATICALLY" add a network to NEW VMs, but no way to "PRESERVE" existing VM Network IDs and MACs when XenServer interfaces are changed.

SCENARIO:
User has several hundred VMs and needs to change BONDs/Interfaces in XenServer
After breaking bonds or modifying XenServer interfaces, the VMs are no longer associated with a "Network"

REQUEST:
Offer a method where:

-          Modifications to a network interface or Bond notes that "VMs are associated with this network"

-          After changes are made to said interfaces, ask user "Would you like to update your VMs to use this interface and retain Network ID and MAC ADDRESS?"

o   Yes (All)

o   No (List of VMs to apply to or NONE)

I have a script - not currently with me - that I wrote to handle this type of activity as BOND configuration, additions, etc happen all the time and I had one client (achem), have to manually associate all VMs with a specific network bond that had to be modified.

If this request is not clear, I will reply with the script I wrote and will offer screen shots.

Sincerely,

Jesse Benedict, CCA | Citrix, Inc. | XenServer, XenClient Support Team
Work Better.  Live Better.  Call us at 1-800-4CITRIX!
Join the Community: support.citrix.com<http://support.citrix.com/> | discussions.citrix.com<http://discussions.citrix.com/> | blogs.citrix.com<http://blogs.citrix.com/> | taas.citrix.com<https://taas.citrix.com/>

Customer Satisfaction is our goal.
If you have feedback regarding my performance, please feel free to contact my Manager william.aycock@citrix.com<mailto:william.aycock@citrix.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail message and all documents which accompany it are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which addressed, and may contain privileged or confidential information. Any unauthorized disclosure or distribution of this e-mail message is prohibited. Any private files or utilities that are included in this e-mail are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which this is addressed and distribution of these files or utilities is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify me immediately. Thank you.

* Re: Request: XenCenter/XE Command To Preserve VM MAC Addresses/VIFs when XS NIC Settings Change
@ 2014-01-23 10:46 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-01-23 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Benedict; +Cc: 'xen-api@lists.xen.org'

On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 17:20 +0000, Jesse Benedict wrote:
> All,

I think you wanted xen-api@ not xen-api-request@ (the latter being some
sort of admin address I think). I've made that change to this reply.

No XenCenter/Xe development happens on xen-devel@ (which is the list for
development of the upstream hypervisor and associated low level tools)
so I have moved that to Bcc. I think for XenCenter stuff you probably
want one of the xenserver.org lists, but I guess xen-api@ folks can
redirect as necessary.

Quotes untrimmed for the benefit of xen-api@.

Ian.