* Unsupported Valley View 'LPE' adapter?
@ 2013-11-30 19:33 Adam Williamson
From: Adam Williamson @ 2013-11-30 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi, folks. I recently bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro -
a Bay Trail / Valley View-based Intel tablet - to try and get Fedora
running on it. Among the many things I'm currently fighting :) , the
sound doesn't work. snd-hda-intel is not loaded at all, and there are no
audio devices present at any level.

In Windows' Device Manager I see an 'Intel SST Audio Device' with PCI ID
0x86:0f28 . Indeed, the PCI ID database has this listed as "ValleyView
LPE Audio Controller" - http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086/0f28 . But
hda-intel does not have 0f28 as a supported device. The commit for 'Bay
Trail' audio support added the ID 0f04:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/5/16/38

So...what is this 0f28? Is support for it going to be added? Is there
any info I can provide to help? (I can boot Linux on the tablet and get
info out of it _just barely_, but it's pretty painful - there's no wifi
and an install to 'disk' (really a usb stick) doesn't work too well, so
I'm stuck working in a live image with no network).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

* Re: Unsupported Valley View 'LPE' adapter?
@ 2013-11-30 21:45 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2013-11-30 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Williamson; +Cc: Vinod Koul, alsa-devel, Harsha Priya

Adam Williamson wrote:
> In Windows' Device Manager I see an 'Intel SST Audio Device' with PCI ID
> 0x86:0f28. Indeed, the PCI ID database has this listed as "ValleyView
> LPE Audio Controller" - http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086/0f28 . But
> hda-intel does not have 0f28 as a supported device.
>
> So...what is this 0f28?

It is not an HDA controller.  The SST thingy uses I²S codecs.

> Is support for it going to be added?

There is something in sound/soc/mid-x86/, but that is only for the
Medfield platform.  The PCI SST driver that was not merged four years
ago used the ID 080a.

Only Intel knows.

> Is there any info I can provide to help?

"lspci -vv -d 8086:0f28"?

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: Unsupported Valley View 'LPE' adapter?
@ 2013-12-01  2:38   ` Adam Williamson
From: Adam Williamson @ 2013-12-01  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch; +Cc: Vinod Koul, alsa-devel, Harsha Priya

On Sat, 2013-11-30 at 22:45 +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > In Windows' Device Manager I see an 'Intel SST Audio Device' with PCI ID
> > 0x86:0f28. Indeed, the PCI ID database has this listed as "ValleyView
> > LPE Audio Controller" - http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086/0f28 . But
> > hda-intel does not have 0f28 as a supported device.
> >
> > So...what is this 0f28?
>
> It is not an HDA controller.  The SST thingy uses I²S codecs.
>
> > Is support for it going to be added?
>
> There is something in sound/soc/mid-x86/, but that is only for the
> Medfield platform.  The PCI SST driver that was not merged four years
> ago used the ID 080a.
>
> Only Intel knows.

Ah! I did see that stuff, but it seemed so old it couldn't be
relevant...

> > Is there any info I can provide to help?
>
> "lspci -vv -d 8086:0f28"?

OK, will get that for you shortly. Thanks for the info.
--

@ 2013-12-02  6:32     ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2013-12-02  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Williamson, lgirdwood, Jarkko Nikula; +Cc: alsa-devel, Clemens Ladisch

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 06:38:37PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-11-30 at 22:45 +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > In Windows' Device Manager I see an 'Intel SST Audio Device' with PCI ID
> > > 0x86:0f28. Indeed, the PCI ID database has this listed as "ValleyView
> > > LPE Audio Controller" - http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086/0f28 . But
> > > hda-intel does not have 0f28 as a supported device.
> > >
> > > So...what is this 0f28?
> >
> > It is not an HDA controller.  The SST thingy uses I²S codecs.
yes it doesnt look like HDA, but the SoC might have one which can be enabled
in BIOS...

> > > Is support for it going to be added?
> >
> > There is something in sound/soc/mid-x86/, but that is only for the
> > Medfield platform.  The PCI SST driver that was not merged four years
> > ago used the ID 080a.
> >
> > Only Intel knows.
I think Liam or Jarkko might have something for you...

--
~Vinod

@ 2013-12-03  1:56       ` Adam Williamson
From: Adam Williamson @ 2013-12-03  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: alsa-devel, Jarkko Nikula, Clemens Ladisch, lgirdwood

On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 12:02 +0530, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 06:38:37PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > It is not an HDA controller.  The SST thingy uses I²S codecs.

> yes it doesnt look like HDA, but the SoC might have one which can be enabled
> in BIOS...

I don't think I saw anything like that. The firmware (pleeeeeease, call
it 'the firmware', I'm fighting a heroic (quixotic?) but retreating
battle against the trend to call a PC's firmware 'the BIOS' even when
it's not frickin' BIOS) is pretty barebones, it has 'on/off' switches
for various bits of hardware, but nothing more than that, and I'm pretty
sure they're all set 'on' OOTB, inc. audio.

> > > There is something in sound/soc/mid-x86/, but that is only for the
> > > Medfield platform.  The PCI SST driver that was not merged four years
> > > ago used the ID 080a.
> > >
> > > Only Intel knows.

> I think Liam or Jarkko might have something for you...

Hope so! Thanks for the reply and the redirect.

> > > "lspci -vv -d 8086:0f28"?
> >
> > OK, will get that for you shortly. Thanks for the info.

I'm just about to build a new test image which I'm throwing a couple of
kernel patches for other bugs into, I'll grab this lspci output while
I'm testing that.
--

@ 2013-12-30  2:19         ` Adam Williamson
From: Adam Williamson @ 2013-12-30  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: alsa-devel, Jarkko Nikula, Clemens Ladisch, lgirdwood

On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 17:56 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > I think Liam or Jarkko might have something for you...
>
> Hope so! Thanks for the reply and the redirect.

> > > OK, will get that for you shortly. Thanks for the info.
>
> I'm just about to build a new test image which I'm throwing a couple of
> kernel patches for other bugs into, I'll grab this lspci output while
> I'm testing that.

So I got time today to poke at this device again, and here's something:
it's not actually a PCI device at all, I missed that. Neither lspci
(Linux) nor pcitree (Windows) shows a PCI device with ID 8086:0f28. It
must be connected some other way, SDIO or something. So, I don't know
how to get more info on it, really.

I'll file a bug on this device with all the details I have attached, for
now, I guess.
--

@ 2013-12-30  2:23           ` Adam Williamson
From: Adam Williamson @ 2013-12-30  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: alsa-devel, Jarkko Nikula, Clemens Ladisch, lgirdwood

On Sun, 2013-12-29 at 18:19 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > I think Liam or Jarkko might have something for you...
> >
> > Hope so! Thanks for the reply and the redirect.

> > I'm just about to build a new test image which I'm throwing a couple of
> > kernel patches for other bugs into, I'll grab this lspci output while
> > I'm testing that.
>
> So I got time today to poke at this device again, and here's something:
> it's not actually a PCI device at all, I missed that. Neither lspci
> (Linux) nor pcitree (Windows) shows a PCI device with ID 8086:0f28. It
> must be connected some other way, SDIO or something. So, I don't know
> how to get more info on it, really.
>
> I'll file a bug on this device with all the details I have attached, for
> now, I guess.

...or, since the bug tracker is apparently down, I guess I can't. What's
the next step? Just wait and see if I hear from someone with an
@intel.com ? :/

I honestly wasn't expecting it to be THIS difficult to get almost
anything working on a vlv tablet :(
--

@ 2014-01-05 10:55             ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2014-01-05 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Williamson
  Cc: Vinod Koul, alsa-devel, Jarkko Nikula, Clemens Ladisch, lgirdwood

At Sun, 29 Dec 2013 18:23:12 -0800,
Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > Hope so! Thanks for the reply and the redirect.

> > > I'm just about to build a new test image which I'm throwing a couple of
> > > kernel patches for other bugs into, I'll grab this lspci output while
> > > I'm testing that.
> >
> > So I got time today to poke at this device again, and here's something:
> > it's not actually a PCI device at all, I missed that. Neither lspci
> > (Linux) nor pcitree (Windows) shows a PCI device with ID 8086:0f28. It
> > must be connected some other way, SDIO or something. So, I don't know
> > how to get more info on it, really.
> >
> > I'll file a bug on this device with all the details I have attached, for
> > now, I guess.
>
> ...or, since the bug tracker is apparently down, I guess I can't. What's
> the next step? Just wait and see if I hear from someone with an
> @intel.com ? :/
>
> I honestly wasn't expecting it to be THIS difficult to get almost
> anything working on a vlv tablet :(

Ask Intel guys at best.  It must be a device controlled by
i2c/spi/whatever, not a standard HD-audio.  IIRC, the control can be
taken from ACPI, but it's not implemented properly yet.

Takashi

* Re: Unsupported Valley View 'LPE' adapter?
@ 2014-02-17  9:54               ` bobby
From: bobby @ 2014-02-17  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

This is a pci device for which the driver is not yet available.
I went through the intel atom processor manual and found that it has 3 I2S
ports, has its
own DMA. The Soc is interfaced with LPE audio core via internal PCI bus.
Did you guys hear anything from intel about the driver support. Any inputs
would be of great help please

* Re: Unsupported Valley View 'LPE' adapter?
@ 2014-02-18  0:40                 ` Adam Williamson
From: Adam Williamson @ 2014-02-18  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bobby; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 09:54 +0000, bobby wrote:

> This is a pci device for which the driver is not yet available.
> I went through the intel atom processor manual and found that it has 3 I2S
> ports, has its
> own DMA. The Soc is interfaced with LPE audio core via internal PCI bus.
> Did you guys hear anything from intel about the driver support. Any inputs
> would be of great help please

Jan Michael Brummer at Intel pointed this out to me recently:

https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lrg/asoc/+/intel/haswell-audio-dsp%5E

looks like it's being worked on.
--

@ 2014-02-18  0:48                   ` Adam Williamson
From: Adam Williamson @ 2014-02-18  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bobby; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 16:40 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 09:54 +0000, bobby wrote:
> >
> > This is a pci device for which the driver is not yet available.
> > I went through the intel atom processor manual and found that it has 3 I2S
> > ports, has its
> > own DMA. The Soc is interfaced with LPE audio core via internal PCI bus.
> > Did you guys hear anything from intel about the driver support. Any inputs
> > would be of great help please
>
> Jan Michael Brummer at Intel pointed this out to me recently:
>
> https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lrg/asoc/+/intel/haswell-audio-dsp%5E
>
> looks like it's being worked on.

Heh, that's actually just a mirror of the git ASoC branch. All those
patches went through this very list last week. I don't know precisely
how the upstreaming process goes for this stuff, but I'm guessing it'll
wind up in 3.14 or 3.15.

(I may try building the patches into my Fedlet kernel builds and see if
that gets anywhere...)
--

@ 2014-02-19  4:59                     ` Adam Williamson
From: Adam Williamson @ 2014-02-19  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bobby, Liam Girdwood; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 16:48 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 16:40 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 09:54 +0000, bobby wrote:
> > >
> > > This is a pci device for which the driver is not yet available.
> > > I went through the intel atom processor manual and found that it has 3 I2S
> > > ports, has its
> > > own DMA. The Soc is interfaced with LPE audio core via internal PCI bus.
> > > Did you guys hear anything from intel about the driver support. Any inputs
> > > would be of great help please
> >
> > Jan Michael Brummer at Intel pointed this out to me recently:
> >
> > https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lrg/asoc/+/intel/haswell-audio-dsp%5E
> >
> > looks like it's being worked on.
>
> Heh, that's actually just a mirror of the git ASoC branch. All those
> patches went through this very list last week. I don't know precisely
> how the upstreaming process goes for this stuff, but I'm guessing it'll
> wind up in 3.14 or 3.15.
>
> (I may try building the patches into my Fedlet kernel builds and see if
> that gets anywhere...)

FWIW, I tried building a 3.14rc3 kernel with these patches applied and
the drivers enabled as modules. On boot on a Dell Venue 8 Pro, all the
relevant modules are loaded, but there's no ALSA device, and no
obviously useful errors in any logs, or useful output from alsa-info.sh.
Is it expected that the driver doesn't actually work yet? Per the recent
commits, do I need some kind of firmware? Any debugging that would be
useful?

Thanks.
--

@ 2014-02-19  7:41                       ` Liam Girdwood
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2014-02-19  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Williamson; +Cc: alsa-devel, bobby, Nikula, Jarkko

> On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 16:48 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > Jan Michael Brummer at Intel pointed this out to me recently:
> > >
> > > https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lrg/asoc/+/intel/haswell-audio-dsp%5E
> > >
> > > looks like it's being worked on.
> >
> > Heh, that's actually just a mirror of the git ASoC branch. All those
> > patches went through this very list last week. I don't know precisely
> > how the upstreaming process goes for this stuff, but I'm guessing it'll
> > wind up in 3.14 or 3.15.
> >
> > (I may try building the patches into my Fedlet kernel builds and see if
> > that gets anywhere...)
>
> FWIW, I tried building a 3.14rc3 kernel with these patches applied and
> the drivers enabled as modules. On boot on a Dell Venue 8 Pro, all the
> relevant modules are loaded, but there's no ALSA device, and no
> obviously useful errors in any logs, or useful output from alsa-info.sh.
> Is it expected that the driver doesn't actually work yet? Per the recent
> commits, do I need some kind of firmware? Any debugging that would be
> useful?

Sorry, we're not finished with the upstreaming yet. The current patches
upstream are for the low level parts of the Intel DSP drivers. Jarkko
and I still have to upstream the upper layers of the drivers (probably
today) and you will also need firmware.

Once upstream the drivers will support Valley View, Baytrail, Haswell
and Broadwell. The firmware for Baytrail and Valleyview will be
available shortly too.

Liam

* Re: Unsupported Valley View 'LPE' adapter?
@ 2014-02-27  8:36                         ` bobby
From: bobby @ 2014-02-27  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Liam Girdwood <liam.r.girdwood <at> linux.intel.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 20:59 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

PCI bus.
Any inputs

https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lrg/asoc/+/intel/h
aswell-audio-dsp%5E

> > > Heh, that's actually just a mirror of the git ASoC branch. All those
> > > patches went through this very list last week. I don't know precisely
> > > how the upstreaming process goes for this stuff, but I'm guessing
it'll
> > > wind up in 3.14 or 3.15.
> > >
> > > (I may try building the patches into my Fedlet kernel builds and see
if
> > > that gets anywhere...)
> >
> > FWIW, I tried building a 3.14rc3 kernel with these patches applied and
> > the drivers enabled as modules. On boot on a Dell Venue 8 Pro, all the
> > relevant modules are loaded, but there's no ALSA device, and no
> > obviously useful errors in any logs, or useful output from alsa-
info.sh.
> > Is it expected that the driver doesn't actually work yet? Per the
recent
> > commits, do I need some kind of firmware? Any debugging that would be
> > useful?
>
> Sorry, we're not finished with the upstreaming yet. The current patches
> upstream are for the low level parts of the Intel DSP drivers. Jarkko
> and I still have to upstream the upper layers of the drivers (probably
> today) and you will also need firmware.
>
> Once upstream the drivers will support Valley View, Baytrail, Haswell
> and Broadwell. The firmware for Baytrail and Valleyview will be
> available shortly too.
>
> Liam

Thanks Liam and Jarkko saw your patches related to the Intel SST Audio
Platform drivers, I hope the upstreaming process is complete for this
module. Please let us know when the firmware is available.

I have few question here, the i2s mode should be enabled in the platform
drivers right.

In the Bayley Bay bios I saw that the LPE audio could be enumerated via
PCI or ACPI, the patches I saw mostly cover the ACPI mode. Will the PCI
mode be covered in the patches.

Thanks in Advance
Bobby