* Re: [GSOC] Google Storage API Project
       [not found] <1393874910.26569.YahooMailNeo@web194906.mail.sg3.yahoo.com>
@ 2014-03-03 19:36 ` Vipul Nayyar
From: Vipul Nayyar @ 2014-03-03 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, yehuda; +Cc: patrick

Hello,

I'm Vipul, a Computer Engg. student studying in New Delhi. I've been a past GSOC student under RTEMS last year, along with experience in working on distributed storage systems, especially Redhat's Gluster. So, basically I have some successful experience in contributing to Open Source and interest in the domain where Ceph works.

I'm keen to work on the project of implementing Google cloud storage APIs for Ceph object gateway. As it's mentioned that modelling the previous S3 API is a good way to go about this, so can anyone please point me in the direction where I can find this previous work ? Any other bootstrapping pointers or tips for getting to know Ceph would really be helpful.

Regards
Vipul Nayyar

* Re: [GSOC] Google Storage API Project
@ 2014-03-03 19:58   ` Ian Colle
From: Ian Colle @ 2014-03-03 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vipul Nayyar, ceph-devel, yehuda; +Cc: patrick

Vipul,

Great to hear from you!

You can start here: http://www.ceph.com/docs/master/.

For the S3 API specifically http://www.ceph.com/docs/master/radosgw/s3/

Background architecture docs might be of interest -
http://www.ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/

Have you looked in https://github.com/ceph/ceph?

Ian R. Colle
Director of Engineering
Inktank
Delivering the Future of Storage
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ircolle
http://www.twitter.com/ircolle
Cell: +1.303.601.7713
Email: ian@inktank.com

@ 2014-03-18 19:43     ` Vipul Nayyar
From: Vipul Nayyar @ 2014-03-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Colle, ceph-devel, yehuda; +Cc: patrick

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the links that you gave. I've gone through them and I'm currently studying the Google Storage API in order to figure out it's implementation. I've also gone through the source code of libs3 in the ceph repo. Due to the excellent clarity of the code, I was able to easily understand the basic flow of how things are working with respect to the S3. Following are the methods that will be implemented under the Google API.

GET Service : Lists all of the buckets in a specified project.
DELETE Bucket
GET Bucket
HEAD Bucket
PUT Bucket
DELETE Object
GET Object
HEAD Object
POST Object
PUT Object

The format of the HTTP headers that need to be sent regarding each method have been clearly given in the Google documentation which is quite similar to the S3 API. Regarding the Authorization part, every request that needs to be authorized must have a request header that contains an authentication string. This authentication string can be extracted with the help of Oauth. As written in the project description, that authentication will take up the majority of the project's time, hence I'd like to know the challenges regarding this beforehand since the Google docs focus more on the Oauth authentication from the user's perspective.

FInally, since only a few days are left for proposal submission deadline, so I'll fast track my proposal preparation based on your feedback and guidance.

Regards
Vipul Nayyar