* Problems running the tests in BlueZ 5.18
@ 2014-05-02 18:53 Sejo Ruiz
From: Sejo Ruiz @ 2014-05-02 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi.
This is the first mail that I write to this mailing list, so I'm not
sure how this works exactly. I need to develop an application with a
bluetooth dongle that makes use of the thermometer profile. The thing is
that, after succesfully pair and connect with the device, whenever I try
to run the test-therometer file, I obtain the following error:

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:
Method "RegisterWatcher" with signature "s" on interface
"org.bluez.ThermometerManager1" doesn't exist

I have also tested the test-heartrate, and I obtain something similar:

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:
Method "RegisterWatcher" with signature "s" on interface
"org.bluez.HeartRateManager1" doesn't exist

I have succesfully tested the dongle with bluetoothctl, so I can discard
hardware compatibilities issues.
I'd like to know if I'm missing something while running the tests. If
you need more data, like some configuration files or logs, you can ask
for it and i'll provide it ASAP.
Thank you very much for your help.

* Re: Problems running the tests in BlueZ 5.18
@ 2014-05-05  7:37 ` Johan Hedberg
From: Johan Hedberg @ 2014-05-05  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sejo Ruiz; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Sejo,

On Fri, May 02, 2014, Sejo Ruiz wrote:
> This is the first mail that I write to this mailing list, so I'm not
> sure how this works exactly. I need to develop an application with a
> bluetooth dongle that makes use of the thermometer profile. The thing is
> that, after succesfully pair and connect with the device, whenever I try
> to run the test-therometer file, I obtain the following error:
>
> dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:
> Method "RegisterWatcher" with signature "s" on interface
> "org.bluez.ThermometerManager1" doesn't exist
>
> I have also tested the test-heartrate, and I obtain something similar:
>
> dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:
> Method "RegisterWatcher" with signature "s" on interface
> "org.bluez.HeartRateManager1" doesn't exist
>
> I have succesfully tested the dongle with bluetoothctl, so I can discard
> hardware compatibilities issues.
> I'd like to know if I'm missing something while running the tests. If
> you need more data, like some configuration files or logs, you can ask
> for it and i'll provide it ASAP.
> Thank you very much for your help.

First thing that comes to mind: have you passed --enable-experimental to
configure when building BlueZ, and have you passed -E to bluetoothd when
running it? At least the former is needed for the thermometer plugin
(about the latter I'm not completely sure).

Johan

* Re: Problems running the tests in BlueZ 5.18
@ 2014-05-05 13:19   ` Sergio Ruiz
From: Sergio Ruiz @ 2014-05-05 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Hedberg; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Johan.

On 05/05/14 09:37, Johan Hedberg wrote:
> Hi Sejo,
>
> First thing that comes to mind: have you passed --enable-experimental to
> configure when building BlueZ, and have you passed -E to bluetoothd when
> running it? At least the former is needed for the thermometer plugin
> (about the latter I'm not completely sure).
>
> Johan
First, I'd like to thank you for your answer, it solved the problems I
was having.
The thing is that now I can only run the tests when I log in as root.
Despite is not a big problem, I'd like to know if there is a way of
executing the tests without having to grant root permissions (I'm
worried about security issues on the system) Is it enough to add the
current user to the lp group? Or maybe I need to modify the policies
that are set in bluetooth.conf? (by the way, now I don't have a proper
bluetooth.conf file, so I'm not sure where are those policies set now)
Finally, I'm still not able to run the proximity test. It points to the
same problem (the interface org.bluez.ProximityMonitor1 doesn't exist)
I'm not going to use this service, and since I haven't seen anything
related to the test in bluetooth.conf, I have assumed that is not
completely implemented, but still I'd like to help if some testing is
needed.

Thank you again for your help.