* USB and Windows guests
@ 2014-05-16 19:21 ckonstanski
From: ckonstanski @ 2014-05-16 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Using app-emulation/qemu-2.0.0 from Gentoo portage. I'm a little fuzzy
on whether qemu and kvm are the same thing. If they're not, kindly
inform me and I'll be on my way. Also I don't know if this list is
strictly for kernelspace issues or if userspace may also be discussed.
And I can't be sure where my issue lies anyway, though on the surface it
seems like a kernel issue.

I'm trying to connect a Galaxy Note 3 phone to a Windows guest. Having
an issue with the USB device moving around. For instance:

1. I plug in the phone and do an lsusb:
Bus 003 Device 03: ID 04e8:6860 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd GT-I9100
Phone [Galaxy S II], GT-I9300 Phone [Galaxy S III], GT-P7500 [Galaxy Tab
10.1] , GT-I9500 [Galaxy S 4]

2. I create the proper configuration in my qemu command line:
-usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostaddr=3

(for completeness, the entire command line:)
sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -name hly-ckonstan07 -k de -vga
vmware -soundhw ac97 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostaddr=4 -display
vnc=:1 -nographic -balloon virtio -net
tap,ifname=tap1,script=no,downscript=no -net
nic,model=virtio,macaddr=44:44:44:44:44:04 -localtime -drive
file="/home/ckonstanski/kvm/hly-ckonstan07/hly-ckonstan07.qcow2",if=virtio
-boot order=c -m 2048 -cpu host -smp
cpus=2,maxcpus=2,cores=2,threads=1,sockets=2 &

3. I start the guest by running the above command.

When I start the VM, the USB jumps to another hostaddr, and it is not
available to the guest.

This does not happen with my old Droid4 phone, nor with my USB foot
pedal. It seems to plague my Galaxy Note 3 only.

I have a udev rule for the phone in 51-android.rules, and USB debugging
is turned on in the phone.

 From what docs I could find, it seems that there are several ways to
configure a USB passthrough, but this is the only one that works with
Windows guests. If there are other options, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Carlos Konstanski

* Re: USB and Windows guests
@ 2014-05-19  6:11 ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2014-05-19  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ckonstanski; +Cc: kvm

> 1. I plug in the phone and do an lsusb:
> Bus 003 Device 03: ID 04e8:6860 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd GT-I9100
> Phone [Galaxy S II], GT-I9300 Phone [Galaxy S III], GT-P7500 [Galaxy Tab
> 10.1] , GT-I9500 [Galaxy S 4]

> 2. I create the proper configuration in my qemu command line:
> -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostaddr=3

> When I start the VM, the USB jumps to another hostaddr, and it is not
> available to the guest.

Probably the phone disconnects, then re-appears with a different
configuration.  Using hostport=... instead of hostaddr should fix it.

cheers,
  Gerd