* 2.25-rc2: how to disable prlimit?
@ 2014-07-07 20:12 Benno Schulenberg
From: Benno Schulenberg @ 2014-07-07 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Util-Linux

Running ./configure I get this:

-----
checking for syscall prlimit64... no
configure: WARNING: Unable to detect syscall prlimit64.
configure: WARNING: prlimit64 syscall not found; do not build prlimit
-----

There were several other messages, like "do not build nsenter" and
"do not build runuser".  All of those are suppressed when using the
appropriate --disable flags.  But when I try --disable-prlimit, it says:

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-prlimit

How does one prevent prlimit from being built?

Benno

  http://www.fastmail.fm/help/overview_quotes.html

* Re: 2.25-rc2: how to disable prlimit?
@ 2014-07-09 15:16 ` Benno Schulenberg
From: Benno Schulenberg @ 2014-07-09 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Util-Linux

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014, at 22:12, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> configure: WARNING: prlimit64 syscall not found; do not build prlimit

For me the build used to break when not passing things like
--disable-runuser and --disable-login to ./configure, but now
programs that cannot be built get automatically disabled.
Which is nice.  But the message could be a little clearer:
"do not build" seems to say the user should do something.
A simple "not building" would be better.  Upcoming patch
makes that change.

Benno

                          or over the web

* Re: 2.25-rc2: how to disable prlimit?
@ 2014-07-16 10:23 ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2014-07-16 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benno Schulenberg; +Cc: Util-Linux

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 10:12:26PM +0200, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> How does one prevent prlimit from being built?

We currently does not have --disable-* options for all utils, and we
don't have any strict policy about it (I hate when people blindly
follow rules, common sense is better).

We usually have the option for large things (e.g. libs), things that
are not unique to util-linux (e.g. kill, login), too old things
or very new utils (e.g. nsenter).

And many utils we assume everywhere (e.g. ipcs or swapon).

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com