* [Printing-architecture] CUPS and color management
@ 2014-07-07 15:47 Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2014-07-07 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

Hello,

I have a question regarding color management with CUPS. I need to print
a raster image (jpeg, tiff) which has already been converted with the
printer profile. The printing is done using the CUPS API
(cupsPrintFile). I want to ensure that NO color management is done by
CUPS or any filters.

Is there something to do? If so What do I need to do?

  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

* Re: [Printing-architecture] CUPS and color management
@ 2014-07-08 15:12 ` Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2014-07-08 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pascal, Michael R Sweet; +Cc: printing-architecture

Hi Pascal,

Copying Mike Sweet (CUPS author) for the answer to you question.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic@gmail.com

@ 2014-07-08 15:20   ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2014-07-08 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: printing-architecture

Ira,

I'm on this list too, and I sent Pascal here because I don't know the answer... :/  There was discussion of adding an option for this just recently, but I just don't know what the final option name is...

On Jul 8, 2014, at 11:12 AM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pascal,
>
> Copying Mike Sweet (CUPS author) for the answer to you question.
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
> Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
> Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG
> Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
> mailto: blueroofmusic@gmail.com
> Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
> Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434
>

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding color management with CUPS. I need to print
> a raster image (jpeg, tiff) which has already been converted with the
> printer profile. The printing is done using the CUPS API
> (cupsPrintFile). I want to ensure that NO color management is done by
> CUPS or any filters.
>
> Is there something to do? If so What do I need to do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>   Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)
>
>   The best way to travel is by means of imagination
>
>   http://v2p.fr.eu.org
>   http://www.obry.net
>
>   gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [Printing-architecture] CUPS and color management
@ 2014-07-08 15:40     ` Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2014-07-08 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet, Ira McDonald; +Cc: printing-architecture

Hi Pascal and Mike,

[Thanks Mike for the pointer - I think I've tracked down the answer]

The result of the recent Open Printing thread on "no color management"
was this note sent by Joe Simon on 12 June:

Hi everyone,

Rev. 7225 of 'cups-filters' now replaces "no-color-management" with
"cm-calibration" for the bool option. So the following commands should work
without the added '=' symbol, and will disable ICC profile management:

$ rastertopdf 1 foo bar 1 "cm-calibration" input.ras >>output.pdf
$ foomatic-rip -p foo -o cm-calibration

Joe Simon

Cheers,
- Ira

@ 2014-07-08 15:51       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2014-07-08 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: printing-architecture

Hi Ira,
> Rev. 7225 of 'cups-filters' now replaces "no-color-management" with
> "cm-calibration" for the bool option. So the following commands should
> work without the added '=' symbol, and will disable ICC profile
> management:
>

> $ rastertopdf 1 foo bar 1 "cm-calibration" input.ras >>output.pdf
>
> $ foomatic-rip -p foo -o cm-calibration
>

> Joe Simon

Hum... I'm new to CUPS :) So how does that translate in terms of CUPS
API?

Is the cm-calibration just a regular option?

So, should I just do:

  num_options = cupsAddOption("cm-calibration",
                              "false",
                              num_options, &options);

And pass num_optionss & options to cupsPrintFile()?

Cheers,
Pascal.
--

@ 2014-07-08 16:05         ` Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2014-07-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Obry, Joseph Simon, Ira McDonald; +Cc: printing-architecture

Hi Joe,

Can you answer Pascal's question below, please?

Cheers,
- Ira

@ 2014-07-08 16:22         ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2014-07-08 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pascal; +Cc: printing-architecture

Pascal,

On Jul 8, 2014, at 11:51 AM, Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net> wrote:
> Is the cm-calibration just a regular option?

Yes; at the IPP level it is a boolean attribute.

> So, should I just do:
>
>  num_options = cupsAddOption("cm-calibration",
>                              "false",
>                              num_options, &options);

Use "true" for the value (otherwise the filter will see "nocm-calibration"...)

> And pass num_optionss & options to cupsPrintFile()?

Yes.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [Printing-architecture] CUPS and color management
@ 2014-07-09  8:59           ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2014-07-09  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet; +Cc: printing-architecture

Michael,

> On Jul 8, 2014, at 11:51 AM, Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net> wrote:
> > Is the cm-calibration just a regular option?
>
> Yes; at the IPP level it is a boolean attribute.
>
> > So, should I just do:
> >
> >  num_options = cupsAddOption("cm-calibration",
> >                              "false",
> >                              num_options, &options);
>
> Use "true" for the value (otherwise the filter will see "nocm-calibration"...)

Makes sense indeed! Thanks a lot to all for the quick help.

Cheers,