* curent state of GSO over IPv6 tunnel
@ 2014-09-15  8:55 Yuval Mintz
From: Yuval Mintz @ 2014-09-15  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi,

Tried running simple scenarios using ipv6/ipv6 via gre-tunnel [ip6_gre].

When I've tried sniffing Tx traffic [tcpdump] I've noticed there were
no aggregations being set, i.e., only MTU-sized packets reached NIC.

Looking at output of `ethtool -k', I can see `tx_gre_segmentation' is on.

What's the current state of the feature? Is it feasible and I'm missing
some configuration, or is it yet an unsupported feature?

Thanks,
Yuval

________________________________

This message and any attached documents contain information from QLogic Corporation or its wholly-owned subsidiaries that may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute, or use this information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message.

* Re: curent state of GSO over IPv6 tunnel
@ 2014-09-15 10:14 ` Eric Dumazet
From: Eric Dumazet @ 2014-09-15 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuval Mintz; +Cc: netdev

On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 08:55 +0000, Yuval Mintz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tried running simple scenarios using ipv6/ipv6 via gre-tunnel [ip6_gre].
>
> When I've tried sniffing Tx traffic [tcpdump] I've noticed there were
> no aggregations being set, i.e., only MTU-sized packets reached NIC.
>
> Looking at output of `ethtool -k', I can see `tx_gre_segmentation' is on.
>
> What's the current state of the feature? Is it feasible and I'm missing
> some configuration, or is it yet an unsupported feature?

As far as I know, only bnx2x driver currently supports NETIF_F_GSO_GRE

* RE: curent state of GSO over IPv6 tunnel
@ 2014-09-15 10:19   ` Yuval Mintz
From: Yuval Mintz @ 2014-09-15 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Dumazet; +Cc: netdev

> > Hi,
> >
> > Tried running simple scenarios using ipv6/ipv6 via gre-tunnel [ip6_gre].
> >
> > When I've tried sniffing Tx traffic [tcpdump] I've noticed there were
> > no aggregations being set, i.e., only MTU-sized packets reached NIC.
> >
> > Looking at output of `ethtool -k', I can see `tx_gre_segmentation' is on.
> >
> > What's the current state of the feature? Is it feasible and I'm
> > missing some configuration, or is it yet an unsupported feature?
>
> As far as I know, only bnx2x driver currently supports NETIF_F_GSO_GRE

Hi Eric,

Might be true, but should this flag hold any sway over IPv6?
[Both at the moment and in general, i.e., if it does not would we need
an additional feature or simply extend the functionality so that it would
effect IPv6 as well?]

Thanks,
Yuval

* RE: curent state of GSO over IPv6 tunnel
@ 2014-09-15 10:29     ` Eric Dumazet
From: Eric Dumazet @ 2014-09-15 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuval Mintz; +Cc: netdev

On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 10:19 +0000, Yuval Mintz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Tried running simple scenarios using ipv6/ipv6 via gre-tunnel [ip6_gre].
> > >
> > > When I've tried sniffing Tx traffic [tcpdump] I've noticed there were
> > > no aggregations being set, i.e., only MTU-sized packets reached NIC.
> > >
> > > Looking at output of `ethtool -k', I can see `tx_gre_segmentation' is on.
> > >
> > > What's the current state of the feature? Is it feasible and I'm
> > > missing some configuration, or is it yet an unsupported feature?
> >
> > As far as I know, only bnx2x driver currently supports NETIF_F_GSO_GRE
> >

> Hi Eric,
>
> Might be true, but should this flag hold any sway over IPv6?
> [Both at the moment and in general, i.e., if it does not would we need
> an additional feature or simply extend the functionality so that it would
> effect IPv6 as well?]

Both ipv4 and ipv6 are supported under this single flag.

Really, in 2014 all NIC supporting TSO for GRE should support IPv6 as
well.

* RE: curent state of GSO over IPv6 tunnel
@ 2014-09-16  6:30       ` Yuval Mintz
From: Yuval Mintz @ 2014-09-16  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Dumazet; +Cc: netdev

 > > > Hi,

> > > As far as I know, only bnx2x driver currently supports
> > > NETIF_F_GSO_GRE
> > >

> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > Might be true, but should this flag hold any sway over IPv6?
> > [Both at the moment and in general, i.e., if it does not would we need
> > an additional feature or simply extend the functionality so that it
> > would effect IPv6 as well?]
>
> Both ipv4 and ipv6 are supported under this single flag.
>
> Really, in 2014 all NIC supporting TSO for GRE should support IPv6 as well.

O.k. - I can see that natively ip6_gre device doesn't show any features.
If I would like to modify its code in order for it to support GSO/TSO,
what would that entail?

[I assume it would require a deep-dive otherwise someone would have done
it already; But still, I'd like to get a pointer if possible].

Thanks,
Yuval