* [Qemu-devel] Dummy Panel.
       [not found] <1618105799.2706822.1493821255206.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-05-03 14:20 ` John Bradley
From: John Bradley @ 2017-05-03 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi
I have created a new fork on GitHub https://github.com/flypie/flypie-pi-qemu and an associated project https://github.com/flypie/GDummyPanel the idea as well as getting the Original PI emulation working is to add some facility for simulated IO. This is a demonstration of the latest version, running the QEMU demo from https://github.com/rsta2/circle. I took the idea from an implementation for the BIFFboard but only the socket number is left, the commuications is all via IP. The code is only really Alpha level at the moment and needs some refing to reduce bandwidth. I could also extend the code so that the connection can be to a remote machine rather than via the local host.

I intend to generalise the code, to work with several different boards other than the PI, could anyone suggest a board that would benefit from such an add on.
Is this a worth while addon?
John BradleyTel: 07896 839635Skype: flypie125 125B Grove StreetEdge Hill Liverpool L7 7AF

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Dummy Panel.
@ 2017-05-05 15:07   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2017-05-05 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bradley; +Cc: qemu-devel, John Bradley, Alex Bennée, Peter Maydell

On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 02:20:55PM +0000, John Bradley via Qemu-devel wrote:
> Hi
> I have created a new fork on GitHub https://github.com/flypie/flypie-pi-qemu and an associated project https://github.com/flypie/GDummyPanel the idea as well as getting the Original PI emulation working is to add some facility for simulated IO. This is a demonstration of the latest version, running the QEMU demo from https://github.com/rsta2/circle. I took the idea from an implementation for the BIFFboard but only the socket number is left, the commuications is all via IP. The code is only really Alpha level at the moment and needs some refing to reduce bandwidth. I could also extend the code so that the connection can be to a remote machine rather than via the local host.
>
> I intend to generalise the code, to work with several different boards other than the PI, could anyone suggest a board that would benefit from such an add on.
> Is this a worth while addon?
> John BradleyTel: 07896 839635Skype: flypie125 125B Grove StreetEdge Hill Liverpool L7 7AF

CCing ARM maintainers (see the ./MAINTAINERS file to find the right
people to CC)

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Dummy Panel.
@ 2017-05-05 15:27     ` Alex Bennée
From: Alex Bennée @ 2017-05-05 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi
  Cc: John Bradley, qemu-devel, John Bradley, Peter Maydell, Edgar E. Iglesias

Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 02:20:55PM +0000, John Bradley via Qemu-devel wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have created a new fork on GitHub https://github.com/flypie/flypie-pi-qemu and an associated project https://github.com/flypie/GDummyPanel the idea as well as getting the Original PI emulation working is to add some facility for simulated IO. This is a demonstration of the latest version, running the QEMU demo from https://github.com/rsta2/circle. I took the idea from an implementation for the BIFFboard but only the socket number is left, the commuications is all via IP. The code is only really Alpha level at the moment and needs some refing to reduce bandwidth. I could also extend the code so that the connection can be to a remote machine rather than via the local host.
>>
>> I intend to generalise the code, to work with several different
>> boards other than the PI, could anyone suggest a board that would
>> benefit from such an add on.

There is certainly interest in being able to plug in generic GPIO
devices into QEMU's emulation. The trick would be to come up with
something that is both flexible enough and simple to plug into device
emulation.

There are other out-of-tree solutions to this that have been developed
by hardware tool bods to plug QEMU into things like SystemC emulations
of FPGAs and other devices.

>> Is this a worth while addon?

It's certainly worth exploring but it would have to be a generic
solution not tied just to the Raspberry Pi.

--
Alex Bennée

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Dummy Panel.
@ 2017-05-05 16:07     ` John Bradley
From: John Bradley @ 2017-05-05 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi, John Bradley; +Cc: qemu-devel, Alex Bennée, Peter Maydell

The underlying protocol is flexible enough, though only binary at the moment. I could image a situation were a device driver communicated with the emulation using it or alternately an application communicated with some hardware and passed it on to the emulator. As the protocol is quite simple and open it could easily be adapted, the GDummyPanel could be viewed as a separate project just one of many potential clients.
Code would have to be added to each different emulation as the specifics of the IO of each vary.
Here is a video of the latest version running on windows.demo may 4

|    |
demo may 4
 QEMU Emulating a Raspberry PI 2 running the QEMU IO demo from Circle low level system. Using GDummyPanel to inte...  |   |