* auto assemble in read-only mode?
@ 2014-10-06 13:06 Errol Neal
From: Errol Neal @ 2014-10-06 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-RAID

hi folks. is it possible to assemble an md device in read-only mode?
after an array has been assembled, I know I can mark it as readonly with --misc -o /dev/md0 for example, but only after its been assembled it seems..

tia,

* Re: auto assemble in read-only mode?
@ 2014-10-07  6:56 ` Errol Neal
From: Errol Neal @ 2014-10-07  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eneal; +Cc: Linux-RAID

On Mon, 10/06/2014 09:06 AM, Errol Neal <eneal@businessgrade.com> wrote:
> hi folks. is it possible to assemble an md device in read-only mode?
> after an array has been assembled, I know I can mark it as readonly with --misc -o /dev/md0 for example, but only after its been assembled it seems..

Hi again. No thoughts here?
I'm need to run a RAID1 device on two independent nodes (shared storage) and I'd like to assemble the device on the "slave" node in read-only mode to prevent any sync actions and etc.

* Re: auto assemble in read-only mode?
@ 2014-10-07  7:15   ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2014-10-07  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Errol Neal; +Cc: Linux-RAID

On Tue, 7 Oct 2014 02:56:31 -0400 Errol Neal <eneal@businessgrade.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10/06/2014 09:06 AM, Errol Neal <eneal@businessgrade.com> wrote:
> > hi folks. is it possible to assemble an md device in read-only mode?
> > after an array has been assembled, I know I can mark it as readonly with --misc -o /dev/md0 for example, but only after its been assembled it seems..
> >

> Hi again. No thoughts here?

Not even 18 hours since you last asked - what do you thing this is? The
Internet :-)

> I'm need to run a RAID1 device on two independent nodes (shared storage) and I'd like to assemble the device on the "slave" node in read-only mode to prevent any sync actions and etc.

Did you try adding the "--readonly" option to your --assemble command?
(Always best to report everything you tried and how it failed - requires less
guess work).

I hope you don't expect too much of a filesystem mounted from such an array
while the  other node is writing to the array...

NeilBrown

* Re: auto assemble in read-only mode?
@ 2014-10-07 12:31     ` Errol Neal
From: Errol Neal @ 2014-10-07 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NeilBrown; +Cc: Linux-RAID

On Tue, 10/07/2014 03:15 AM, NeilBrown <neilb@suse.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2014 02:56:31 -0400 Errol Neal <eneal@businessgrade.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10/06/2014 09:06 AM, Errol Neal <eneal@businessgrade.com> wrote:
> > > hi folks. is it possible to assemble an md device in read-only mode?
> > > after an array has been assembled, I know I can mark it as readonly with --misc -o /dev/md0 for example, but only after its been assembled it seems..
> > >

> > Hi again. No thoughts here?
>
> Not even 18 hours since you last asked - what do you thing this is? The
> Internet :-)

HAHA. I tend to feel ignored on large mailing lists lol. Need to see my therapist again ;)

> > I'm need to run a RAID1 device on two independent nodes (shared storage) and I'd like to assemble the device on the "slave" node in read-only mode to prevent any sync actions and etc.
>
> Did you try adding the "--readonly" option to your --assemble command?
> (Always best to report everything you tried and how it failed - requires less
> guess work).

I did that previously and mdadm told me that  "option --readonly not valid in assemble mode". E.g. "mdadm --assemble --scan --readonly".
The readonly flag seems like it can only be used after a device has been assembled. So for example, after the device has been assembled, I can
run mdadm --misc -o /dev/md0 but that is not always safe for my use case.

> I hope you don't expect too much of a filesystem mounted from such an array
> while the  other node is writing to the array...

I don't. It will be read-only until the pacemaker RA promotes the slave.

* Re: auto assemble in read-only mode?
@ 2014-10-07 23:33       ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2014-10-07 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Errol Neal; +Cc: Linux-RAID