* dead qemu make targets in toplevel Makefile
@ 2014-10-07 13:07 Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2014-10-07 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel

Ian,

with commit b0f69ec5c71de1248d915c193b57c43e786857dd ("tools: Make
qemu-xen-traditional build optional.") the existing make targets are
wrapped in ifeq ($(CONF),y), but CONF is never set because
config/Tools.mk is not included. I wonder if that ever worked or if I
just broke it with my changes. But looking at 4.4.1 I dont see how
CONFIG_QEMU_TRAD is set. And in staging QEMU_TRAD_DIR_TGT is also not
used.

Are these make targets useful? I see "git clean -dfx && ./configure &&
make tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir CONFIG_QEMU_TRAD=y" clones the tree.

Olaf

 72 ifeq ($(CONFIG_QEMU_TRAD),y)
 73 QEMU_TRAD_DIR_TGT := tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir
 74
 75 tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir:
 76         $(MAKE) -C tools qemu-xen-traditional-dir-find
 77
 78 .PHONY: tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir-force-update
 79 tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir-force-update:
 80         $(MAKE) -C tools qemu-xen-traditional-dir-force-update
 81 endif
 82
 83 ifeq ($(CONFIG_QEMU_XEN),y)
 84 QEMU_XEN_DIR_TGT := tools/qemu-xen-dir
 85
 86 tools/qemu-xen-dir:
 87         $(MAKE) -C tools qemu-xen-dir-find
 88
 89 .PHONY: tools/qemu-xen-dir-force-update
 90 tools/qemu-xen-dir-force-update:
 91         $(MAKE) -C tools qemu-xen-dir-force-update
 92 endif

* Re: dead qemu make targets in toplevel Makefile
@ 2014-10-07 13:16 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-10-07 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Hering; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, 2014-10-07 at 15:07 +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> Ian,
>
> with commit b0f69ec5c71de1248d915c193b57c43e786857dd ("tools: Make
> qemu-xen-traditional build optional.") the existing make targets are
> wrapped in ifeq ($(CONF),y), but CONF is never set because
> config/Tools.mk is not included. I wonder if that ever worked or if I
> just broke it with my changes. But looking at 4.4.1 I dont see how
> CONFIG_QEMU_TRAD is set. And in staging QEMU_TRAD_DIR_TGT is also not
> used.
>
> Are these make targets useful? I see "git clean -dfx && ./configure &&
> make tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir CONFIG_QEMU_TRAD=y" clones the tree.

I think they were just intended as a convenient shortcut to allow
updating the cloned trees (which are otherwise not automatically
updated). I'm not sure how useful they are in practice.

It looks like my build scripts use "make -C tools $FOO-force-update", so
removing them would be a problem for me personally.

On the other hand since they are only for use by end users and not
dependencies of any other rule I suppose we could just nuke the
conditionals but leave the rules themselves?

Ian.

* Re: dead qemu make targets in toplevel Makefile
@ 2014-10-07 13:26   ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2014-10-07 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, Oct 07, Ian Campbell wrote:

> It looks like my build scripts use "make -C tools $FOO-force-update", so
> removing them would be a problem for me personally.

The dead code is in the toplevel Makefile, the command above uses
tools/Makefile.

> On the other hand since they are only for use by end users and not
> dependencies of any other rule I suppose we could just nuke the
> conditionals but leave the rules themselves?

Yes, but shouldnt this be easier like "make update-qemu-trad" which
downloads and forces the tree(s) to be in a given state? And while we
are at it, I find something like "make clean-qemu-trad" useful. It
should check if the subdir is a git tree, and do either a "git clean
-dfx" or "make clean".

And perhaps all that should be in two easy targets like 'update-subprj'
and 'clean-subprj'. There is likely a better string than "subprj".

Olaf

* Re: dead qemu make targets in toplevel Makefile
@ 2014-10-07 13:28     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2014-10-07 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Hering; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, 2014-10-07 at 15:26 +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> > It looks like my build scripts use "make -C tools $FOO-force-update", so
> > removing them would be a problem for me personally.
>
> The dead code is in the toplevel Makefile, the command above uses
> tools/Makefile.

Sorry, I tried to say "would *not* be a problem", because as you note
I'm using the tools/Makefile version.

> > On the other hand since they are only for use by end users and not
> > dependencies of any other rule I suppose we could just nuke the
> > conditionals but leave the rules themselves?
>
> Yes, but shouldnt this be easier like "make update-qemu-trad" which
> downloads and forces the tree(s) to be in a given state? And while we
> are at it, I find something like "make clean-qemu-trad" useful. It
> should check if the subdir is a git tree, and do either a "git clean
> -dfx" or "make clean".
>
> And perhaps all that should be in two easy targets like 'update-subprj'
> and 'clean-subprj'. There is likely a better string than "subprj".

If you want to go further than simply fixing up the existing things then
have at it, I've no in principal objections...

Ian.