From: Denis Kenzior <denkenz@gmail.com>
To: iwd@lists.01.org
Subject: Re: >=iwd-1.8: crash in dmesg at boot
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 11:42:06 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi James,

> Side note: wpa_supplicant likely doesn't have this problem since it
> does not include ATTR_WIPHY with its GET_REG call AFAIK. Anyone know if
> GET_REG is intended to be per-phy? Or why we are including ATTR_WIPHY?

from linux/nl80211.h:
"
  @NL80211_CMD_GET_REG: ask the wireless core to send us its currently set
regulatory domain. If %NL80211_ATTR_WIPHY is specified and the device has a
private regulatory domain, it will be returned. Otherwise, the global regdomain
will be returned.

A device will have a private regulatory domain if it uses the regulatory_hint()
API. Even when a private regdomain is used the channel information will still be
mended according to further hints from the regulatory core to help with compliance.
"

So looks like wpa_s always requests the global domain, while iwd is in theory
more correct and requests a per-wiphy one.

Regards,
-Denis