* Soundmodem problems
@ 2015-01-31  8:02 Apostolos Kefalas
From: Apostolos Kefalas @ 2015-01-31  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

Hello guys,

I am using soundmodem version 0.18 on a Debian Jessie system and I have
two problems.

The first one is that every time I connect or disconnect a usb device, a
BJNP probe is sent on all network interfaces including sm0.

The second problem is, that soundmodem  seems to randomly "freeze" for
about 5 minutes, usually with PTT on. After the ~5 min period the PTT is
released and soundmodem returns to normal.

I would appreciate any help on the above problems.

73
Apostolos, SV1LJJ

* Re: Soundmodem problems
@ 2015-02-01  4:56 ` David Ranch
From: David Ranch @ 2015-02-01  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

Hello Apostolos,

> I am using soundmodem version 0.18 on a Debian Jessie system and I have
> two problems.

Though soundmodem should be workable, it hasn't been supported in years
and it doesn't work all that well.  Fortunately, we have an excellent
replacement:

    Direwolf - https://home.comcast.net/~wb2osz/site/

Download 1.1 and read the User Guide.  If you doubt my point on
Soundmodem not working well, read the appendix of the User Guide that
shows the decode counts on soundmodem vs Direwolf and many other HW TNCs
even!

Ps.  Once you get 1.1 working, it's worth noting there is a known
annoyance with an overly long TX-TAIL setting with it.  The new 1.2Beta
version has fixed this.

--David
KI6ZHD

* Soundmodem problems