* [U-Boot] Can't boot DaVinci EVM with Green Hills' Integrity OS
@ 2015-03-30 18:44 noti1234
From: noti1234 @ 2015-03-30 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I'm having problems booting my DaVinci board with Green-Hills' Integrity OS.
My setup is:
Hardware: TI's DaVinci EVM:
http://www.spectrumdigital.com/product_info.php?products_id=192
u-boot: u-boot-2015.4-rc3. Configured for dvevm with elf support.

* If the board's flash is programmed with u-boot then the Integrity OS
initialization process gets stuck.
* If the board's flash is erased (which means I get BOOTME BOOTME requests)
then the Integrity OS initialization process, using Green Hills probe
(something like JTAG), works fine.

This behavior is strange. It seems that something in the u-boot
initialization process, messes up something for the Integrity OS to run
smoothly.

To make things clearer:
The u-boot works fine before trying to boot the Integrity OS elf. I can read
memory regions, write, tftp, etc.
The problem is that the init process of the Integrity OS gets stuck.
So currently I can only boot the board using the Green Hills probe, when the
flash has no boot loader.

Do you have any idea how to approach this problem? Any way to debug it?

Thanks

* [U-Boot] Can't boot DaVinci EVM with Green Hills' Integrity OS
@ 2015-03-30 21:09 ` Jeroen Hofstee
From: Jeroen Hofstee @ 2015-03-30 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello noti1234,

On 30-03-15 20:44, noti1234 wrote:
> I'm having problems booting my DaVinci board with Green-Hills' Integrity OS.
> My setup is:
> Hardware: TI's DaVinci EVM:
> http://www.spectrumdigital.com/product_info.php?products_id=192
> u-boot: u-boot-2015.4-rc3. Configured for dvevm with elf support.
>
> * If the board's flash is programmed with u-boot then the Integrity OS
> initialization process gets stuck.
> * If the board's flash is erased (which means I get BOOTME BOOTME requests)
> then the Integrity OS initialization process, using Green Hills probe
> (something like JTAG), works fine.
>
> This behavior is strange. It seems that something in the u-boot
> initialization process, messes up something for the Integrity OS to run
> smoothly.
>
> To make things clearer:
> The u-boot works fine before trying to boot the Integrity OS elf. I can read
> memory regions, write, tftp, etc.
> The problem is that the init process of the Integrity OS gets stuck.
> So currently I can only boot the board using the Green Hills probe, when the
> flash has no boot loader.
>
> Do you have any idea how to approach this problem? Any way to debug it?

I have no knowledge of your actual setup, but it might be worth
checking if disabling caches at compile time helps (in your boards config
or perhaps menuconfig nowadays).

Regards,
Jeroen

* [U-Boot] Can't boot DaVinci EVM with Green Hills' Integrity OS
@ 2015-03-31  4:02   ` Idan Noti
From: Idan Noti @ 2015-03-31  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Why do you think caches have something to do with the problem?

Also, how do I config the compilation to disable caches? The only
configuration I'm aware about it modifying the header file:
$(uboot_folder)/include/configs/davinci_dvevm.h

Thanks

@ 2015-03-31  7:03     ` Jeroen Hofstee
From: Jeroen Hofstee @ 2015-03-31  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello Idan,

On 31-03-15 06:02, Idan Noti wrote:
> Why do you think caches have something to do with the problem?

By booting the image with the bootelf command you jump to it with some
caches
still enabled / not flushed (which is likely not what your debug
interface does and
your kernel might not really like that). A FreeBSD kernel doesn't /
didn't at least and
wouldn't boot.

I never checked, but I guess Linux doesn't like it either, but since it
is typically booted
by a bootm / bootz command it goes through e.g. arch/arm/lib/bootm.c,
which calls
cleanup_before_linux in arch/arm/cpu/arm926ejs/cpu.c, all caches are
disables and
flushes before jumping into it.

Of course I don't know if this is related to your problem, but it cannot
do any harm to
keep caches off until you have the board properly booting.

> Also, how do I config the compilation to disable caches? The only
> configuration I'm aware about it modifying the header file:
> $(uboot_folder)/include/configs/davinci_dvevm.h

Yup, see README and doc/README.arm-caches. At least below knobs are
documented.
You can simply define these in mentioned file.

  CONFIG_SYS_ICACHE_OFF - Do not enable instruction cache in U-Boot
  CONFIG_SYS_DCACHE_OFF - Do not enable data cache in U-Boot
  CONFIG_SYS_L2CACHE_OFF- Do not enable L2 cache in U-Boot

Regards,
Jeroen

* [U-Boot] Can't boot DaVinci EVM with Green Hills' Integrity OS
@ 2015-04-02  4:21       ` Idan Noti
From: Idan Noti @ 2015-04-02  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I'v tried this but it does not change anything.
Is there a way to have the u-boot run in a step-by-step mode? In order to
try and eliminate the problematic initialization?

Thanks,