* ARM-Xen customization of stage two translation.
@ 2015-05-20  8:39 Mazen Ezzeddine (Student)
From: Mazen Ezzeddine (Student) @ 2015-05-20  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Dear all,

I am using hardware assisted XEN on ARM cortex A-15, could you please hint me on the below:

I want the stage two translation from IPA to PA through the stage two translation  to  exclude a particular small contiguous region (some physical frames) of the physical memory ? is this achievable? could you please hint me on how can I accomplish?

Please share your experience experts.

Thank you so much.

* Re: ARM-Xen customization of stage two translation.
@ 2015-05-20 10:33 ` Julien Grall
       [not found]   ` <1432122444328.21832@mail.aub.edu>
From: Julien Grall @ 2015-05-20 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mazen Ezzeddine (Student), xen-devel

On 20/05/15 09:39, Mazen Ezzeddine (Student) wrote:
> Dear all,

Hello,

> I am using hardware assisted XEN on ARM cortex A-15, could you please
> hint me on the below:
>

> I want the stage two translation from IPA to PA through the stage two
> translation  to  exclude a particular small contiguous region (some
> physical frames) of the physical memory ? is this achievable? could you
> please hint me on how can I accomplish?

Is this physical region belong to the RAM or a device?

Julien Grall

@ 2015-05-20 11:52     ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2015-05-20 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mazen Ezzeddine (Student), xen-devel

Hello,

Please keep xen-devel CCed and avoid to top-post.

On 20/05/15 12:47, Mazen Ezzeddine (Student) wrote:
> Thanks Jlien,
>
> Mainly it belongs to a device. I can't see why it would be problematic for a device and not for RAM or vice-versa? could you please hint me on what is the difference?

Because you have to do it differently.

For avoiding DOM0 to use a device, you can blacklist it per platform
(see blacklist_dev xen/arch/arm/platforms/vexpress.c). While for the RAM
you can update your device tree (see /memreserve/).

Julien Grall

* Re: ARM-Xen customization of stage two translation.
@ 2015-05-20 12:05       ` Mazen Ezzeddine (Student)
From: Mazen Ezzeddine (Student) @ 2015-05-20 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel

Thanks so much.

I will ensure to keep xen-devel cced and avoid top-post. Sorry and thanks for notifying me.

However, my use-case will involve a scenario where the the page frames excluded from the second stage translation are to be allocated on the fly (through a slightly modified second stage translation) to a special guest when scheduled. Does mreserve work in such scenario?

Best regards,

* Re: ARM-Xen customization of stage two translation.
@ 2015-05-20 12:11         ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2015-05-20 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mazen Ezzeddine (Student); +Cc: xen-devel

On 20/05/15 13:05, Mazen Ezzeddine (Student) wrote:

> Thanks so much.
>
> I will ensure to keep xen-devel cced and avoid top-post. Sorry and thanks for notifying me.
>
> However, my use-case will involve a scenario where the the page frames excluded from the second stage translation are to be allocated on the fly (through a slightly modified second stage translation) to a special guest when scheduled. Does mreserve work in such scenario?

Give a look to {,un}map_mmio_regions and
guest_physmap_add_entry/guest_physmap_remove_page in xen/arch/arm/p2m.c

regards,

--
Julien Grall