* adding preprocessor defines in module makefiles
@ 2011-09-08 14:29 Christopher Harvey
From: Christopher Harvey @ 2011-09-08 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

I'm trying to build a kernel module for fun, and I can't figure out a
clean way to add preprocessor defines that correspond to Kconfig values.
I'm trying to set CONFIG_SND_DEBUG specifically. My module has only one
file, and I've tried adding #define CONFIG_SND_DEBUG as the first line
in the .c file, but now I'm getting the following warning:
WARNING: "__snd_printk" [/home/chris/snd/snd-foo.ko] undefined!

I haven't compiled the kernel running on my system with the
CONFIG_SND_DEBUG option but I haven't been able to see a reason why that
should change anything for my module.

thanks,
Chris

* adding preprocessor defines in module makefiles
@ 2011-09-08 15:49 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-09-08 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi :)

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 21:29, Christopher Harvey <chris@basementcode.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build a kernel module for fun, and I can't figure out a
> clean way to add preprocessor defines that correspond to Kconfig values.
> I'm trying to set CONFIG_SND_DEBUG specifically. My module has only one
> file, and I've tried adding #define CONFIG_SND_DEBUG as the first line
> in the .c file, but now I'm getting the following warning:
> WARNING: "__snd_printk" [/home/chris/snd/snd-foo.ko] undefined!

Without looking at your modules' course, I think that's due to you
were using unexported symbol (in this case, kernel function)

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM YOUR LIST
@ 2011-09-08 15:52   ` Shehata, Shereef
From: Shehata, Shereef @ 2011-09-08 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

FOR THE LIST OWNER, PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM YOUR LIST. I HAVE TRIED MANY TIMES AND IT KEEP REFUSING TO REMOVE MY EMAIL. All other lists's removal work except this one.

PLEASE REMOVE from your lisrt
shereef at ti.com

Best regards,
Shereef

@ 2011-09-09  2:43     ` Pei Lin
From: Pei Lin @ 2011-09-09  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

2011/9/8 Shehata, Shereef <shereef@ti.com>:
> FOR THE LIST OWNER, PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM YOUR LIST. I HAVE TRIED MANY TIMES AND IT KEEP REFUSING TO REMOVE MY EMAIL. All other lists's removal work except this one.
>
> PLEASE REMOVE from your lisrt
> shereef at ti.com

Are you kidding me? Do you try to unsubscribe your email address from
below link?

> Best regards,
> Shereef

Best Regards
Lin

* adding preprocessor defines in module makefiles
@ 2011-09-09  5:01 ` Dave Hylands
From: Dave Hylands @ 2011-09-09  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Christopher,

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Christopher Harvey
<chris@basementcode.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build a kernel module for fun, and I can't figure out a
> clean way to add preprocessor defines that correspond to Kconfig values.
> I'm trying to set CONFIG_SND_DEBUG specifically. My module has only one
> file, and I've tried adding #define CONFIG_SND_DEBUG as the first line
> in the .c file, but now I'm getting the following warning:
> WARNING: "__snd_printk" [/home/chris/snd/snd-foo.ko] undefined!
>
> I haven't compiled the kernel running on my system with the
> CONFIG_SND_DEBUG option but I haven't been able to see a reason why that
> should change anything for my module.

You need to set this in your config file (using make menuconfig or one
of the other variants) and quite probably rebuild the kernel with that
option set in order to ensure that snd_xxx functions are compiled into
the kernel.

Trying to defined CONFIG_xxx options will generally not work properly.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada