* Status of 3.10 series
@ 2015-09-11 17:57 tmhikaru
From: tmhikaru @ 2015-09-11 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable

	Hi there, I'm not sure if I'm emailing the correct address to ask
this question, but when I tried emailing Greg KH directly, I was replied to
by a bot saying the message had been discarded and one of its suggestions
was to email this address, which it claims is the -stable mailing list.  I
did not know that this existed before now, so please notify me if I'm asking
this question in the wrong place.

	In any case, I've heard rumors about work ending this month on the
3.10 -stable series, though I've seen and heard no evidence of such other
than Greg KH's declaration in september of 2013 that he'd maintain it for at
least two years.  It would not be a difficult thing for me to switch to a
newer kernel series if I need to, so I'd like to know wether there is any
fact to this rumor or not.

	Thank you for your time,
	Timothy McGrath

* Re: Status of 3.10 series
@ 2015-09-11 22:06 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2015-09-11 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tmhikaru; +Cc: stable

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 10:57:37AM -0700, tmhikaru@gmail.com wrote:
> 	Hi there, I'm not sure if I'm emailing the correct address to ask
> this question, but when I tried emailing Greg KH directly, I was replied to
> by a bot saying the message had been discarded and one of its suggestions
> was to email this address, which it claims is the -stable mailing list.  I
> did not know that this existed before now, so please notify me if I'm asking
> this question in the wrong place.

It's the correct place.

> 	In any case, I've heard rumors about work ending this month on the
> 3.10 -stable series, though I've seen and heard no evidence of such other
> than Greg KH's declaration in september of 2013 that he'd maintain it for at
> least two years.  It would not be a difficult thing for me to switch to a
> newer kernel series if I need to, so I'd like to know wether there is any
> fact to this rumor or not.

Yes, I will be stopping 3.10 soon, and yes, you should be planning to
move to a newer kernel right now, you should have started planning 6
months ago, if not earlier.  What is keeping you from moving to 4.1
today?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Status of 3.10 series
@ 2015-09-12  5:47   ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2015-09-12  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: tmhikaru, stable

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 03:06:25PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 10:57:37AM -0700, tmhikaru@gmail.com wrote:
> > 	Hi there, I'm not sure if I'm emailing the correct address to ask
> > this question, but when I tried emailing Greg KH directly, I was replied to
> > by a bot saying the message had been discarded and one of its suggestions
> > was to email this address, which it claims is the -stable mailing list.  I
> > did not know that this existed before now, so please notify me if I'm asking
> > this question in the wrong place.
>
> It's the correct place.
>
> > 	In any case, I've heard rumors about work ending this month on the
> > 3.10 -stable series, though I've seen and heard no evidence of such other
> > than Greg KH's declaration in september of 2013 that he'd maintain it for at
> > least two years.  It would not be a difficult thing for me to switch to a
> > newer kernel series if I need to, so I'd like to know wether there is any
> > fact to this rumor or not.
>
> Yes, I will be stopping 3.10 soon, and yes, you should be planning to
> move to a newer kernel right now, you should have started planning 6
> months ago, if not earlier.  What is keeping you from moving to 4.1
> today?

Or even 3.14 if he needs something moving slower. FWIW, we're currently
in the process of switching our products from 3.10 to 3.14 and the
transition has been very smooth.

Willy

* Re: Status of 3.10 series
@ 2015-09-13 19:12     ` tmhikaru
From: tmhikaru @ 2015-09-13 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 07:47:45AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 03:06:25PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 10:57:37AM -0700, tmhikaru@gmail.com wrote:
> > > 	Hi there, I'm not sure if I'm emailing the correct address to ask
> > > this question, but when I tried emailing Greg KH directly, I was replied to
> > > by a bot saying the message had been discarded and one of its suggestions
> > > was to email this address, which it claims is the -stable mailing list.  I
> > > did not know that this existed before now, so please notify me if I'm asking
> > > this question in the wrong place.
> >
> > It's the correct place.
> >
> > > 	In any case, I've heard rumors about work ending this month on the
> > > 3.10 -stable series, though I've seen and heard no evidence of such other
> > > than Greg KH's declaration in september of 2013 that he'd maintain it for at
> > > least two years.  It would not be a difficult thing for me to switch to a
> > > newer kernel series if I need to, so I'd like to know wether there is any
> > > fact to this rumor or not.
> >
> > Yes, I will be stopping 3.10 soon, and yes, you should be planning to
> > move to a newer kernel right now, you should have started planning 6
> > months ago, if not earlier.  What is keeping you from moving to 4.1
> > today?
>
> Or even 3.14 if he needs something moving slower. FWIW, we're currently
> in the process of switching our products from 3.10 to 3.14 and the
> transition has been very smooth.
>
> Willy

	Thank you for your suggestion, although 4.1.6 is working fine at the
moment.  If you're curious why I didn't stop trying to use 3.10.x until now,
it's simply because I didn't know it was going to stop being supported soon.
I don't remember reading any notices anywhere that gave an indication it
would not be supported soon.  In fact, the only thing I could find about it
at all that gave me some idea of what to expect was Greg KH's initial blog
in september 2013 saying he'd support it for about two years.  I only found
that after I'd heard rumors claiming that it was no longer going to get any
updates at all, which I scoffed at since there was no notice of such in the
LKML I could find, nor could I find anything saying so via google.  I would
have expected a notice saying that a kernel series was ending to have some
kind of search result, and I'm baffled that I couldn't find anything.

	Obviously my understanding of the situation was incorrect, and I'd
like to prevent this from happening again.  Perhaps I was looking in the
wrong place, is there some place that lists or estimates when the -stable
kernels, including LTS ones will no longer be recieving updates?  If not,
what indicators should I look for on a kernel series going out of support?
I'd really like to avoid having to bother your list about this sort of thing
again.

	Thank you for the help,
	Timothy McGrath

* Re: Status of 3.10 series
@ 2015-09-13 19:44       ` Holger Hoffstätte
From: Holger Hoffstätte @ 2015-09-13 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 12:12:04 -0700, tmhikaru wrote:

> 	Obviously my understanding of the situation was incorrect, and I'd
> like to prevent this from happening again.  Perhaps I was looking in the
> wrong place, is there some place that lists or estimates when the -stable
> kernels, including LTS ones will no longer be recieving updates?  If not,

https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

4.1 LTS should be on that list soon.

-h

* Re: Status of 3.10 series
@ 2015-12-23 17:47   ` Christoph Biedl
From: Christoph Biedl @ 2015-12-23 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable

Greg KH wrote...

> Yes, I will be stopping 3.10 soon, and yes, you should be planning to
> move to a newer kernel right now, you should have started planning 6
> months ago, if not earlier.  What is keeping you from moving to 4.1
> today?

For me it turned out to be at least three issues. So thanks for the
extension to "End of 2015", I wasn't able to take care of them all
earlier.

    Christoph

PS: In case anybody is curious:
- isdnlog stopped working. Fixed in mainline.
- a PCMCIA card stopped working. Patch sent to linux-pci today.
- kernel crashes with unreadable message when using a console on a
  pl2303. Could not reproduce but at least work around it.