* Infiniband support
@ 2016-01-06  6:54 Gohar Irfan
From: Gohar Irfan @ 2016-01-06  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Can anyone guide me on how to compile Xen with Infiniband support?
(Particularly Mellanox)
I want to perform some RDMA read/write functionality from within the Xen
code (it is for a course project) using the Verbs API.

Thanks,
Gohar

* Re: Infiniband support
@ 2016-01-07  9:32 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2016-01-07  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gohar Irfan, xen-devel

On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 06:54 +0000, Gohar Irfan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone guide me on how to compile Xen with Infiniband support?
> (Particularly Mellanox)
> I want to perform some RDMA read/write functionality from within the Xen
> code (it is for a course project) using the Verbs API.

Xen itself doesn't typically contain I/O drivers at all, that is delegated
to the domain 0 or driver domain kernel(s).

IOW you need to be looking at how to compile Infiniband support into your
dom0 kernel, i.e. in Linux or BSD or whatever, I would presume there are
plenty of resources on that subject on the web.

Ian.

> Thanks,
> Gohar

* Re: Infiniband support
@ 2016-01-07 10:14   ` Gohar Irfan
From: Gohar Irfan @ 2016-01-07 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell, xen-devel

Thanks a lot for the response.

I am not sure if I asked it right: I already have Infiniband installed on
my kernel and it is working fine in the user space. However, I would like
to use the RDMA Verbs API inside the Xen code, like calling RDMA functions
to send/receive data. That requires Infiniband headers to be included in
the Xen code, but I'm have difficulty with that. So is there any sample
code of someone already calling Infiniband/RDMA functions within Xen code
or any guide on how to recompile Xen with custom headers?

Thanks a lot!
On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 2:34 PM Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@citrix.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 06:54 +0000, Gohar Irfan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone guide me on how to compile Xen with Infiniband support?
> > (Particularly Mellanox)
> > I want to perform some RDMA read/write functionality from within the Xen
> > code (it is for a course project) using the Verbs API.
>
> Xen itself doesn't typically contain I/O drivers at all, that is delegated
> to the domain 0 or driver domain kernel(s).
>
> IOW you need to be looking at how to compile Infiniband support into your
> dom0 kernel, i.e. in Linux or BSD or whatever, I would presume there are
> plenty of resources on that subject on the web.
>
> Ian.
>

> > Thanks,
> > Gohar

* Re: Infiniband support
@ 2016-01-07 10:58     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2016-01-07 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gohar Irfan, xen-devel

On Thu, 2016-01-07 at 10:14 +0000, Gohar Irfan wrote:

Please don't top post.

> I am not sure if I asked it right: I already have Infiniband installed on
> my kernel and it is working fine in the user space. However, I would like
> to use the RDMA Verbs API inside the Xen code, like calling RDMA
> functions to send/receive data. That requires Infiniband headers to be
> included in the Xen code, but I'm have difficulty with that. So is there
> any sample code of someone already calling Infiniband/RDMA functions
> within Xen code or any guide on how to recompile Xen with custom headers?

Do you mean to use RDMA Verbs API from within the Xen hypervisor itself
(i.e. the "kernel-like" part) or just from the Xen toolstack?

The former isn't likely to be possible without importing a full I/B stack
into the hypervisor, a lot of work IMHO. The latter is just userspace, so
you can use whatever libraries you would like.

It might be useful if you took a step back and explained your end goal here
since then we may be able to better guide you.

Ian.