* [Buildroot] Building a Linux from scratch and new target architecture
@ 2016-01-19 11:03 ronyboss
From: ronyboss @ 2016-01-19 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

Recently I have been working with buildroot system and openwrt system. I
have successfully build the linux for raspberry pi and other different
routers with my own modifications. Now I want to learn how to add custom
Target architecture, how to add kernel for them and how to tweek rootfs, and
how to tweek file system and others.

So it would be helpful for me if anyone can provide me some information
about these things.

Best Regards,
Md.Rashedul Amin Rony

* [Buildroot] Building a Linux from scratch and new target architecture
@ 2016-01-19 15:37 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-01-19 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 03:03:49 -0800 (PST), ronyboss wrote:

> Recently I have been working with buildroot system and openwrt system. I

First of all, make sure to not confuse Buildroot and OpenWRT. They are
completely different projects, and internally they work completely
differently.

The OpenWRT documentation improperly calls the project "OpenWRT
Buildroot" because OpenWRT was 10+ years ago a fork of Buildroot. But
nowadays, the projects have nothing in common.

> have successfully build the linux for raspberry pi and other different
> routers with my own modifications. Now I want to learn how to add custom
> Target architecture, how to add kernel for them and how to tweek rootfs, and
> how to tweek file system and others.
>
> So it would be helpful for me if anyone can provide me some information
> about these things.

If you're really talking about Buildroot (http://buildroot.org), then
please read the documentation at
https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html. It gives all the
details about customizing the rootfs, adding more packages, configuring
the kernel, and more.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Building a Linux from scratch and new target architecture
@ 2016-01-20 14:18 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2016-01-20 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Md.Rashedul Amin Rony,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 12:03 PM, ronyboss <md.rashedul.amin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I have been working with buildroot system and openwrt system. I
> have successfully build the linux for raspberry pi and other different
> routers with my own modifications. Now I want to learn how to add custom
> Target architecture, how to add kernel for them and how to tweek rootfs, and
> how to tweek file system and others.
>
> So it would be helpful for me if anyone can provide me some information
> about these things.

Have you seen the Buildroot manual? I think it can be a good starting
point on some of these topics:
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/downloads/manual/manual.html

In particular, you may be interested in chapters
"Project-specific customization"
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#customize
"Adding board support"
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#adding-board-support

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Building a Linux from scratch and new target architecture
@ 2016-01-20 16:12   ` rony
From: rony @ 2016-01-20 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thanks Thomas Petazzoni. Yes I am aware of that Buildroot and OpenWRT are
different from each other. Openwrt basically for low config hardwares,
specially for Router.

But I am working with both. For router we are working with Openwrt. And for
others like wifi camera, TV box etc we are working with buildroot.

So I have gone through https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html
and still working with it.

Thomas De Schampheleire answered my question. So I will be working with it.
I was looking for it and a bit detail guide about it if there is any.

* [Buildroot] Building a Linux from scratch and new target architecture
@ 2016-01-20 16:14   ` rony
From: rony @ 2016-01-20 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thanks Thomas De Schampheleire for your specific direction to study. I will

@ 2016-01-20 19:21     ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2016-01-20 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 5:12 PM, rony <md.rashedul.amin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Thomas Petazzoni. Yes I am aware of that Buildroot and OpenWRT are
> different from each other. Openwrt basically for low config hardwares,
> specially for Router.
>
> But I am working with both. For router we are working with Openwrt. And for
> others like wifi camera, TV box etc we are working with buildroot.
>
> So I have gone through https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html
> and still working with it.
>
> Thomas De Schampheleire answered my question. So I will be working with it.
> I was looking for it and a bit detail guide about it if there is any.

(strange: I did not receive Thomas Petazzoni's reply in my gmail...)

* [Buildroot] Building a Linux from scratch and new target architecture
@ 2016-01-21  3:34       ` rony
From: rony @ 2016-01-21  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

He replied before you and subscribed when you comment. I guess that's why.