* xinput-calibrator startup question
@ 2016-04-19 15:12 Jussi Kukkonen
From: Jussi Kukkonen @ 2016-04-19 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hi Koen,

I was looking at xinput-calibrator in preparation for bug 9365 "Remove
xtscal in preference of xinput-calibrator", and I'm wondering if you
remember the logic behind this commit:

commit 6464bcd67d10ab9967ac83c27c413c1014be707e
Author: Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.thruhere.net>
Date:   Wed Apr 30 11:33:23 2014 +0200

    xinput-calibrator: fix XDG launch

    In the move from meta-oe to OE-core XDG based launched was dropped
    without noting it in the commit message, so fix that regression.

    Gnome-session will now launch the calibrator again.

The commit installs the app desktop file in the XDG autostart
directory. But we already have a XSession script for a similar purpose
-- the result in Sato is that xinput-calibrator runs twice (and I
would expect that to happen in gnome as well)?

I'd like to either not install the desktop file or install it in
applications directory, so please let me know if the reasons for the
above commit might still be valid.

Thanks,
 Jussi

* Re: xinput-calibrator startup question
@ 2016-04-19 18:24 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2016-04-19 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Kukkonen; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

> Op 19 apr. 2016, om 17:12 heeft Jussi Kukkonen <jussi.kukkonen@intel.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi Koen,
>
> I was looking at xinput-calibrator in preparation for bug 9365 "Remove
> xtscal in preference of xinput-calibrator", and I'm wondering if you
> remember the logic behind this commit:
>
> commit 6464bcd67d10ab9967ac83c27c413c1014be707e
> Author: Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.thruhere.net>
> Date:   Wed Apr 30 11:33:23 2014 +0200
>
>    xinput-calibrator: fix XDG launch
>
>    In the move from meta-oe to OE-core XDG based launched was dropped
>    without noting it in the commit message, so fix that regression.
>
>    Gnome-session will now launch the calibrator again.
>
> The commit installs the app desktop file in the XDG autostart
> directory. But we already have a XSession script for a similar purpose
> -- the result in Sato is that xinput-calibrator runs twice (and I
> would expect that to happen in gnome as well)?
>
> I'd like to either not install the desktop file or install it in
> applications directory, so please let me know if the reasons for the
> above commit might still be valid.

They are still valid, XDG is still the right place to launch it.

* Re: xinput-calibrator startup question
@ 2016-04-19 21:01   ` Jussi Kukkonen
From: Jussi Kukkonen @ 2016-04-19 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 19 April 2016 at 21:24, Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.thruhere.net> wrote:

>> Op 19 apr. 2016, om 17:12 heeft Jussi Kukkonen <jussi.kukkonen@intel.com> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Hi Koen,
>>
>> I was looking at xinput-calibrator in preparation for bug 9365 "Remove
>> xtscal in preference of xinput-calibrator", and I'm wondering if you
>> remember the logic behind this commit:
>>
>> commit 6464bcd67d10ab9967ac83c27c413c1014be707e
>> Author: Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.thruhere.net>
>> Date:   Wed Apr 30 11:33:23 2014 +0200
>>
>>    xinput-calibrator: fix XDG launch
>>
>>    In the move from meta-oe to OE-core XDG based launched was dropped
>>    without noting it in the commit message, so fix that regression.
>>
>>    Gnome-session will now launch the calibrator again.
>>
>> The commit installs the app desktop file in the XDG autostart
>> directory. But we already have a XSession script for a similar purpose
>> -- the result in Sato is that xinput-calibrator runs twice (and I
>> would expect that to happen in gnome as well)?
>>
>> I'd like to either not install the desktop file or install it in
>> applications directory, so please let me know if the reasons for the
>> above commit might still be valid.
>
> They are still valid, XDG is still the right place to launch it.

I was hoping for a little more detail... I wonder why is xdg autostart
better than xsession in this case (this does not seem obvious to me)
and if it is, shouldn't the xsession script have been removed when the
autostart desktop file was added? It seems clear that the current
setup is broken since both autostart methods are used.

@ 2016-04-21 20:11     ` Stefan Agner
From: Stefan Agner @ 2016-04-21 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Kukkonen; +Cc: Koen Kooi, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 2016-04-19 14:01, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:
> On 19 April 2016 at 21:24, Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.thruhere.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Op 19 apr. 2016, om 17:12 heeft Jussi Kukkonen <jussi.kukkonen@intel.com> het volgende geschreven:
>>>
>>> Hi Koen,
>>>
>>> I was looking at xinput-calibrator in preparation for bug 9365 "Remove
>>> xtscal in preference of xinput-calibrator", and I'm wondering if you
>>> remember the logic behind this commit:
>>>
>>> commit 6464bcd67d10ab9967ac83c27c413c1014be707e
>>> Author: Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.thruhere.net>
>>> Date:   Wed Apr 30 11:33:23 2014 +0200
>>>
>>>    xinput-calibrator: fix XDG launch
>>>
>>>    In the move from meta-oe to OE-core XDG based launched was dropped
>>>    without noting it in the commit message, so fix that regression.
>>>
>>>    Gnome-session will now launch the calibrator again.
>>>
>>> The commit installs the app desktop file in the XDG autostart
>>> directory. But we already have a XSession script for a similar purpose
>>> -- the result in Sato is that xinput-calibrator runs twice (and I
>>> would expect that to happen in gnome as well)?

It does not run twice in our case (LXDE). Can you point to the XSession
script you are referring to?

--
Stefan

* Re: xinput-calibrator startup question
@ 2016-04-21 21:55       ` Max Krummenacher
From: Max Krummenacher @ 2016-04-21 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Agner, Jussi Kukkonen
  Cc: Koen Kooi, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hi Stefan

Am Donnerstag, den 21.04.2016, 13:11 -0700 schrieb Stefan Agner:
> On 2016-04-19 14:01, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:

> It does not run twice in our case (LXDE). Can you point to the
> XSession
> script you are referring to?

This is not entirely true.

For the Colibri iMX.7 xinput-calibrator was launched twice initially.
Once by the XDG launch and once by the XSession script
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/30xinput_calibrate.sh.

The formfactor file https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm/blob/mast
er/recipes-bsp/formfactor/formfactor/mx7/machconfig sets
HAVE_TOUCHSCREEN=1.
As a workaround we now override machconfig for our machine.

So for me the question remains if installing xinput-calibrator by
itself should launch the calibrator or if this should be conditional on
a config provided by the formfactor package.

Max