* Re: EABI pain and frustration!
       [not found] <1444973837.415081265420091001.JavaMail.root@sz0154a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net>
@ 2010-02-06  1:37 ` pspreadborough
From: pspreadborough @ 2010-02-06  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

----- "Travis Stratman" <tstratman@emacinc.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 13:41 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:

> > > to run an EABI executable on top of it. This just doesn't work period
> > > AFAIK; the kernel can boot either OABI or EABI with the compatibility
> > > flags config'd in, but all of the binaries on the filesystem must match.
> > >
> > > I'll have to look into the patch that you referenced above because I
> > > have been using EABI (built through OE) for both the kernel and
> > > filesystem with armv4t for a few years now. First w/ GCC 4.1.1 and now
> > > with 4.2.4 and I've never run into issues. Does the issue only manifest
> > > in certain situations?
> >
> > Well you said armv4t thats a whole different story than armv4 (without
> > 't') for EABI
> > AFAICT SA1110 is based on ARMv4 not ARMv4t.
>
> You are correct, my mistake.

I have built a EABI rootfs but I get a kernel panic when it attempts
to run init, hence my attempts to verify my EABI executables on a OABI
fs.

Perhaps it's time for me to try the OE EABI compiler. Can you advise me
on which OE recipes to use for this?

Regards,

Pete

* Re: EABI pain and frustration!
@ 2010-02-06 16:27   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2010-02-06 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM,  <pspreadborough@comcast.net> wrote:

> ----- "Travis Stratman" <tstratman@emacinc.com> wrote:

>> > Well you said armv4t thats a whole different story than armv4 (without
>> > 't') for EABI
>> > AFAICT SA1110 is based on ARMv4 not ARMv4t.
>>
>> You are correct, my mistake.
>
> I have built a EABI rootfs but I get a kernel panic when it attempts
> to run init, hence my attempts to verify my EABI executables on a OABI
> fs.
>
> Perhaps it's time for me to try the OE EABI compiler. Can you advise me
> on which OE recipes to use for this?

use 4.4.2 or 4.4.3

@ 2010-02-06 16:38     ` pspreadborough
From: pspreadborough @ 2010-02-06 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

----- "Khem Raj" <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Perhaps it's time for me to try the OE EABI compiler. Can you advise me
> > on which OE recipes to use for this?
>
> use 4.4.2 or 4.4.3

Mmmm, I don't see any 4.4.? targets:

bitbake -s

gcc                                      0:4.2.4-r3
gcc-canadian-sdk                         0:4.2.4-r2
gcc-cross                      0:4.3.2+csl-arm-2008q3-39-r1           0:4.2.4-r5
gcc-cross-initial                        0:4.2.4-r5
gcc-cross-intermediate                   0:4.2.4-r5
gcc-cross-kernel-3.3.3                   0:3.3.3-r6
gcc-cross-kernel-3.3.4                   0:3.3.4-r9
gcc-cross-kernel-3.4.4                  0:3.4.4-r13
gcc-cross-kernel-4.2.1         0:4.2.1+csl-arm-2007q3-53-r4
gcc-cross-kernel-4.2.4                   0:4.2.4-r5
gcc-cross-sdk                            0:4.2.4-r5
gcc-native                              0:3.4.6-r10
gcc-noemu                                0:4.1.2-r0

@ 2010-02-06 17:27       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2010-02-06 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 8:38 AM,  <pspreadborough@comcast.net> wrote:

> ----- "Khem Raj" <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > Perhaps it's time for me to try the OE EABI compiler. Can you advise me
>> > on which OE recipes to use for this?
>>
>> use 4.4.2 or 4.4.3
>>

> Mmmm, I don't see any 4.4.? targets:

are you using .dev branch ?

> bitbake -s
>
> gcc                                      0:4.2.4-r3
> gcc-canadian-sdk                         0:4.2.4-r2
> gcc-cross                      0:4.3.2+csl-arm-2008q3-39-r1           0:4.2.4-r5
> gcc-cross-initial                        0:4.2.4-r5
> gcc-cross-intermediate                   0:4.2.4-r5
> gcc-cross-kernel-3.3.3                   0:3.3.3-r6
> gcc-cross-kernel-3.3.4                   0:3.3.4-r9
> gcc-cross-kernel-3.4.4                  0:3.4.4-r13
> gcc-cross-kernel-4.2.1         0:4.2.1+csl-arm-2007q3-53-r4
> gcc-cross-kernel-4.2.4                   0:4.2.4-r5
> gcc-cross-sdk                            0:4.2.4-r5
> gcc-native                              0:3.4.6-r10
> gcc-noemu                                0:4.1.2-r0
>

>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Pete

* Re: EABI pain and frustration! - Solved
@ 2010-02-07 15:54         ` pspreadborough
From: pspreadborough @ 2010-02-07 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

----- "Khem Raj" <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> advise me
> >>
> >> use 4.4.2 or 4.4.3
> >>

> > Mmmm, I don't see any 4.4.? targets:
> >

> are you using .dev branch ?

I switched to the .dev branch, built the 4.4.2 EABI compiler and it now
works, I can boot to a EABI ramfs.

Thanks for the assistance.

@ 2010-02-06 16:24         ` pspreadborough
From: pspreadborough @ 2010-02-06 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

----- "Phil Blundell" <philb@gnu.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 14:43 -0600, Travis Stratman wrote:
> > >From my understanding of this issue he has an OABI rootfs and is trying
> > to run an EABI executable on top of it. This just doesn't work period
> > AFAIK; the kernel can boot either OABI or EABI with the compatibility
> > flags config'd in, but all of the binaries on the filesystem must match.
>
> I don't think this is strictly true: there shouldn't be any particular
> reason why OABI and EABI binaries couldn't coexist on the same
> filesystem. Of course, you would need to have both sets of runtimes
> installed (ld.so and libc at a mininum, plus whatever other libraries
> are needed by your apps) so this would not be completely trivial to
> arrange, but I can't think of anything that would impose a hard
> requirement for everything on the system to be using the same ABI.

I used a statically linked executable in order to avoid having to install
the support binaries.

@ 2010-02-06 14:01       ` Phil Blundell
From: Phil Blundell @ 2010-02-06 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 14:43 -0600, Travis Stratman wrote:
> >From my understanding of this issue he has an OABI rootfs and is trying
> to run an EABI executable on top of it. This just doesn't work period
> AFAIK; the kernel can boot either OABI or EABI with the compatibility
> flags config'd in, but all of the binaries on the filesystem must match.

I don't think this is strictly true: there shouldn't be any particular
reason why OABI and EABI binaries couldn't coexist on the same
filesystem.  Of course, you would need to have both sets of runtimes
installed (ld.so and libc at a mininum, plus whatever other libraries
are needed by your apps) so this would not be completely trivial to
arrange, but I can't think of anything that would impose a hard
requirement for everything on the system to be using the same ABI.

p.

* Re: EABI pain and frustration!
@ 2010-02-05 22:53         ` Travis Stratman
From: Travis Stratman @ 2010-02-05 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 13:41 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Travis Stratman <tstratman@emacinc.com> wrote:

> >> You need gcc 4.4 to get EABI working on ARMv4 and there are additional patches
> >> to gcc on top of gcc 4.4 see
> >> gcc-armv4-pass-fix-v4bx-to-ld.patch for gcc in OE. So as Koen suggested earlier
> >> if you try with OE compiler you might have better chance of getting it
> >> to work as many
> >> OE devs have tried it.
> >> btw. are you passing march=armv4 to the compiler when doing the compile ?
> >
> > >From my understanding of this issue he has an OABI rootfs and is trying
> > to run an EABI executable on top of it. This just doesn't work period
> > AFAIK; the kernel can boot either OABI or EABI with the compatibility
> > flags config'd in, but all of the binaries on the filesystem must match.
> >
> > I'll have to look into the patch that you referenced above because I
> > have been using EABI (built through OE) for both the kernel and
> > filesystem with armv4t for a few years now. First w/ GCC 4.1.1 and now
> > with 4.2.4 and I've never run into issues. Does the issue only manifest
> > in certain situations?
>
> Well you said armv4t thats a whole different story than armv4 (without
> 't') for EABI
> AFAICT SA1110 is based on ARMv4 not ARMv4t.

You are correct, my mistake.

Thanks,

TAS

* Re: EABI pain and frustration!
@ 2010-02-05 21:41       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2010-02-05 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

@ 2010-02-05 20:43     ` Travis Stratman
From: Travis Stratman @ 2010-02-05 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 10:00 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Detlef Vollmann <dv@vollmann.ch> wrote:
> > On 02/03/10 15:03, pspreadborough@comcast.net wrote:
> >>
> >> My 2.6.29 kernel is built with the CodeSourcery
> >> arm-2009q3-67-arm-none-linux-gnueabi compiler and has the EABI and
> >> OABI_COMPAT config options enabled. Using this kernel I can boot my SA1110
> >> iPaq into a OABI ramfs with no problems, however if I build a "HelloWorld"
> >> executable with the same compiler and try and run it I get an "Illegal
> >> Instruction" error. I build the test program using static linking, select
> >> the correct machine type and tune options but to no avail, I always get the
> >> illegal instruction.
>
> You need gcc 4.4 to get EABI working on ARMv4 and there are additional patches
> to gcc on top of gcc 4.4 see
> gcc-armv4-pass-fix-v4bx-to-ld.patch for gcc in OE. So as Koen suggested earlier
> if you try with OE compiler you might have better chance of getting it
> to work as many
> OE devs have tried it.
> btw. are you passing march=armv4 to the compiler when doing the compile ?

From my understanding of this issue he has an OABI rootfs and is trying

@ 2010-02-05 18:00   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2010-02-05 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

@ 2010-02-05 13:31   ` pspreadborough
From: pspreadborough @ 2010-02-05 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

----- "Detlef Vollmann" <dv@vollmann.ch> wrote:

> On 02/03/10 15:03, pspreadborough@comcast.net wrote:
> > My 2.6.29 kernel is built with the CodeSourcery
> arm-2009q3-67-arm-none-linux-gnueabi
> > compiler and has the EABI and OABI_COMPAT config options enabled.
> Using this kernel
> > I can boot my SA1110 iPaq into a OABI ramfs with no problems,
> however if I build a
> > "HelloWorld" executable with the same compiler and try and run it I
> get an "Illegal Instruction"
> > error. I build the test program using static linking, select the
> correct machine type and tune
> > options but to no avail, I always get the illegal instruction.
> Just checking: are you sure this is an EABI/OABI problem and not a
> Thumb code problem?

I don't think so as I have the no-thumb compiler option enabled.

* Re: EABI pain and frustration!
@ 2010-02-05 12:29 ` Detlef Vollmann
From: Detlef Vollmann @ 2010-02-05 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

@ 2010-02-03 18:39   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2010-02-03 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: EABI pain and frustration!
       [not found] <1525882292.3655251265221536810.JavaMail.root@sz0154a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net>
@ 2010-02-03 18:32 ` pspreadborough
From: pspreadborough @ 2010-02-03 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

I'm working from the Angstrom distribution.

I'm using the arm-2009q3-67-arm-none-linux-gnueabi compiler because that's
the EABI compiler I had to hand. I started out with the intention of moving to
an EABI environment (no OABI_COMPAT), however when my EABI ramfs did
not work (kernel booted but barfed when executing init or sh) I decided to try
and EABI executable in the OABI environment.

When compiling the "HelloWorld" I used the "-mabi=aapcs-linux" compiler option
because that's what the kernel uses.

Thanks,

Pete

From: Khem Raj @ 2010-02-03 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)