* [U-Boot] arc: axs103 compile broken ?
@ 2016-06-14  5:07 Heiko Schocher
From: Heiko Schocher @ 2016-06-14  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello Sjoerd,

as I just write a tbot testcase, which checks patches, which moves
a config option to Kconfig, I tested also to compile arc boards, and
the first try immediately failed with:

pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $ make axs103_defconfig
   HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
   SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
   SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
   SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
   HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
#
# configuration written to .config
#
pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $ make -s -j8 all
In file included from drivers/net/designware.c:21:0:
drivers/net/designware.h:11:22: fatal error: asm/gpio.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
  #include <asm/gpio.h>
                       ^
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.build:280: recipe for target 'drivers/net/designware.o' failed
make[1]: *** [drivers/net/designware.o] Error 1
Makefile:1208: recipe for target 'drivers/net' failed
make: *** [drivers/net] Error 2
make: *** Warte auf noch nicht beendete Prozesse...
pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $

looking into the git history of drivers/net/designware.c it seems
to me, that the commit:

commit 90b7fc924adf "net: designware: support phy reset device-tree bindings"

added the missing include.

$ find arch/arc/include/asm/ -name gpio.h
$

I used the toolchain from:
https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/toolchain/releases/tag/arc-2015.12

Some ideas? May I did something wrong?

bye,
Heiko

* [U-Boot] arc: axs103 compile broken ?
@ 2016-06-14  7:15 ` Alexey Brodkin
From: Alexey Brodkin @ 2016-06-14  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Heiko,

On Tue, 2016-06-14 at 07:07 +0200, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> Hello Sjoerd,
>
> as I just write a tbot testcase, which checks patches, which moves
> a config option to Kconfig, I tested also to compile arc boards, and
> the first try immediately failed with:
>
> pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $ make axs103_defconfig
> ???HOSTCC??scripts/basic/fixdep
> ???HOSTCC??scripts/kconfig/conf.o
> ???SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
> ???SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
> ???SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
> ???HOSTCC??scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
> ???HOSTLD??scripts/kconfig/conf
> #
> # configuration written to .config
> #
> pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $ make -s -j8 all
> In file included from drivers/net/designware.c:21:0:
> drivers/net/designware.h:11:22: fatal error: asm/gpio.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> ? #include <asm/gpio.h>
> ???????????????????????^
> compilation terminated.
> scripts/Makefile.build:280: recipe for target 'drivers/net/designware.o' failed
> make[1]: *** [drivers/net/designware.o] Error 1
> Makefile:1208: recipe for target 'drivers/net' failed
> make: *** [drivers/net] Error 2
> make: *** Warte auf noch nicht beendete Prozesse...
> pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $
>
> looking into the git history of drivers/net/designware.c it seems
> to me, that the commit:
>
> commit 90b7fc924adf "net: designware: support phy reset device-tree bindings"
>
> added the missing include.
>
> $ find arch/arc/include/asm/ -name gpio.h
> $
>
> I used the toolchain from:
> https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/toolchain/releases/tag/arc-2015.12
>
> Some ideas? May I did something wrong?

The problem happens because for ARC we don't have "gpio.h" in "arch/arc/include/asm".
That's because we never needed one and I don't know what to put there except inclusion of
"include/asm-generic/gpio.h".

Indeed I or anybody else may send a patch to address that missing header for ARC.
But for me it looks like improper solution - why multiply substances?

We may instead just include headers from "asm-generic" by default and get rid of all
senseless dummy arch/X/include/asm instances.

-Alexey

* [U-Boot] arc: axs103 compile broken ?
@ 2016-06-16  0:39   ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2016-06-16  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Alexey,

On 14 June 2016 at 01:15, Alexey Brodkin <Alexey.Brodkin@synopsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Heiko,
>
> On Tue, 2016-06-14 at 07:07 +0200, Heiko Schocher wrote:
>> Hello Sjoerd,
>>
>> as I just write a tbot testcase, which checks patches, which moves
>> a config option to Kconfig, I tested also to compile arc boards, and
>> the first try immediately failed with:
>>
>> pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $ make axs103_defconfig
>>    HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
>>    HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
>>    SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
>>    SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
>>    SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
>>    HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
>>    HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
>> #
>> # configuration written to .config
>> #
>> pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $ make -s -j8 all
>> In file included from drivers/net/designware.c:21:0:
>> drivers/net/designware.h:11:22: fatal error: asm/gpio.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
>>   #include <asm/gpio.h>
>>                        ^
>> compilation terminated.
>> scripts/Makefile.build:280: recipe for target 'drivers/net/designware.o' failed
>> make[1]: *** [drivers/net/designware.o] Error 1
>> Makefile:1208: recipe for target 'drivers/net' failed
>> make: *** [drivers/net] Error 2
>> make: *** Warte auf noch nicht beendete Prozesse...
>> pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $
>>
>> looking into the git history of drivers/net/designware.c it seems
>> to me, that the commit:
>>
>> commit 90b7fc924adf "net: designware: support phy reset device-tree bindings"
>>
>> added the missing include.
>>
>> $ find arch/arc/include/asm/ -name gpio.h
>> $
>>
>> I used the toolchain from:
>> https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/toolchain/releases/tag/arc-2015.12
>>
>> Some ideas? May I did something wrong?
>
> The problem happens because for ARC we don't have "gpio.h" in "arch/arc/include/asm".
> That's because we never needed one and I don't know what to put there except inclusion of
> "include/asm-generic/gpio.h".
>
> Indeed I or anybody else may send a patch to address that missing header for ARC.
> But for me it looks like improper solution - why multiply substances?
>
> We may instead just include headers from "asm-generic" by default and get rid of all
> senseless dummy arch/X/include/asm instances.

This should work fine now as the offending archs have been converted
to driver model and don't need global GPIO number definitions. Please
go ahead.

Regards,
Simon

* [U-Boot] arc: axs103 compile broken ?
@ 2016-06-16  6:36     ` Alexey Brodkin
From: Alexey Brodkin @ 2016-06-16  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Simon,

On Wed, 2016-06-15 at 18:39 -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> On 14 June 2016 at 01:15, Alexey Brodkin <Alexey.Brodkin@synopsys.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Heiko,
> >
> > On Tue, 2016-06-14 at 07:07 +0200, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Sjoerd,
> > >
> > > as I just write a tbot testcase, which checks patches, which moves
> > > a config option to Kconfig, I tested also to compile arc boards, and
> > > the first try immediately failed with:
> > >
> > > pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $ make axs103_defconfig
> > > ???HOSTCC??scripts/basic/fixdep
> > > ???HOSTCC??scripts/kconfig/conf.o
> > > ???SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
> > > ???SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
> > > ???SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
> > > ???HOSTCC??scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
> > > ???HOSTLD??scripts/kconfig/conf
> > > #
> > > # configuration written to .config
> > > #
> > > pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $ make -s -j8 all
> > > In file included from drivers/net/designware.c:21:0:
> > > drivers/net/designware.h:11:22: fatal error: asm/gpio.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> > > ? #include <asm/gpio.h>
> > > ???????????????????????^
> > > compilation terminated.
> > > scripts/Makefile.build:280: recipe for target 'drivers/net/designware.o' failed
> > > make[1]: *** [drivers/net/designware.o] Error 1
> > > Makefile:1208: recipe for target 'drivers/net' failed
> > > make: *** [drivers/net] Error 2
> > > make: *** Warte auf noch nicht beendete Prozesse...
> > > pollux:u-boot-dxr2 hs [master] $
> > >
> > > looking into the git history of drivers/net/designware.c it seems
> > > to me, that the commit:
> > >
> > > commit 90b7fc924adf "net: designware: support phy reset device-tree bindings"
> > >
> > > added the missing include.
> > >
> > > $ find arch/arc/include/asm/ -name gpio.h
> > > $
> > >
> > > I used the toolchain from:
> > > https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/toolchain/releases/tag/arc-2015.12
> > >
> > > Some ideas? May I did something wrong?
> > The problem happens because for ARC we don't have "gpio.h" in "arch/arc/include/asm".
> > That's because we never needed one and I don't know what to put there except inclusion of
> > "include/asm-generic/gpio.h".
> >
> > Indeed I or anybody else may send a patch to address that missing header for ARC.
> > But for me it looks like improper solution - why multiply substances?
> >
> > We may instead just include headers from "asm-generic" by default and get rid of all
> > senseless dummy arch/X/include/asm instances.
>
> This should work fine now as the offending archs have been converted
> to driver model and don't need global GPIO number definitions. Please
> go ahead.

Could you please clarify what did you really mean?
Shall I proceed with adding "arch/arc/include/asm/gpio.h" or what?

-Alexey

* [U-Boot] arc: axs103 compile broken ?
@ 2016-06-17  3:52       ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2016-06-17  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Alexey,

On 16 June 2016 at 00:36, Alexey Brodkin <Alexey.Brodkin@synopsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On Wed, 2016-06-15 at 18:39 -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
>> Hi Alexey,
>>
>> On 14 June 2016 at 01:15, Alexey Brodkin <Alexey.Brodkin@synopsys.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Heiko,

>> > The problem happens because for ARC we don't have "gpio.h" in "arch/arc/include/asm".
>> > That's because we never needed one and I don't know what to put there except inclusion of
>> > "include/asm-generic/gpio.h".
>> >
>> > Indeed I or anybody else may send a patch to address that missing header for ARC.
>> > But for me it looks like improper solution - why multiply substances?
>> >
>> > We may instead just include headers from "asm-generic" by default and get rid of all
>> > senseless dummy arch/X/include/asm instances.
>>
>> This should work fine now as the offending archs have been converted
>> to driver model and don't need global GPIO number definitions. Please
>> go ahead.
>
> Could you please clarify what did you really mean?
> Shall I proceed with adding "arch/arc/include/asm/gpio.h" or what?

I thought you wanted to remove all the senseless files? To do that you
would need to do a patch to use asm-generic/gpio.g. In fact I would
prefer that you move that file to gpio.h, since asm-generic/gpio.h is
not sensible either (it is not an arch-specific interface anymore).

But it is up to you whether you do this..

Regards,
Simon