* Missing Package in git Installation Instructions (git-scm.com)
@ 2016-07-04 22:13 Christoph Michelbach
From: Christoph Michelbach @ 2016-07-04 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi, I noticed that the instructions on https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/G
etting-Started-Installing-Git don't work without dh-autoreconf
installed on an apt-get system which isn't listed on that site. Can you
fix that or tell me whom to tell about this? The website doesn't offer
contact information. Just tried this on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04
installation.

--
With kind regards
Christoph Michelbach

* Re: Missing Package in git Installation Instructions (git-scm.com)
@ 2016-07-05  6:10 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2016-07-05  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Michelbach; +Cc: git

Hi Chris,

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016, Christoph Michelbach wrote:

> Hi, I noticed that the instructions on https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/G
> etting-Started-Installing-Git don't work without dh-autoreconf
> installed on an apt-get system which isn't listed on that site. Can you
> fix that or tell me whom to tell about this? The website doesn't offer
> contact information. Just tried this on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04
> installation.

When you follow that link, do you see this text on the left side?

	The source of this book is hosted on GitHub.
	Patches, suggestions and comments are welcome.

It links to https://github.com/progit/progit2 and I am sure your bug
report would make an excellent contribution to the bug tracker ("Issues")
in that repository.

It would probably be even better if you cloned said repository, found the
respective file via `git grep apt-get`, fixed it, and opened a Pull
Request.

Ciao,
Johannes

* Re: Missing Package in git Installation Instructions (git-scm.com)
@ 2016-07-05 13:24   ` Jakub Narębski
From: Jakub Narębski @ 2016-07-05 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: git

W dniu 2016-07-05 o 08:10, Johannes Schindelin pisze:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2016, Christoph Michelbach wrote:
>
>> Hi, I noticed that the instructions on https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/G
>> etting-Started-Installing-Git don't work without dh-autoreconf
>> installed on an apt-get system which isn't listed on that site. Can you
>> fix that or tell me whom to tell about this? The website doesn't offer
>> contact information. Just tried this on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04
>> installation.
>
> When you follow that link, do you see this text on the left side?
>
> 	The source of this book is hosted on GitHub.
> 	Patches, suggestions and comments are welcome.
>
> It links to https://github.com/progit/progit2 and I am sure your bug
> report would make an excellent contribution to the bug tracker ("Issues")
> in that repository.
>
> It would probably be even better if you cloned said repository, found the
> respective file via `git grep apt-get`, fixed it, and opened a Pull
> Request.

Or you can even fix it from a web interface, if you have a GitHub account.
Behind the scene, GitHub would fork a repository, edit file and create
a commit, then create a pull request.  Very easy for one-off fixes, assuming
that you have a GitHub account.

--
Jakub Narębski

* Re: Missing Package in git Installation Instructions (git-scm.com)
@ 2016-07-05 18:08     ` Christoph Michelbach
From: Christoph Michelbach @ 2016-07-05 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Narębski, Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git

Thank you both!

I cloned the repository to fix it yet found it already fixed so assumed
either of you did that. But according to git blame, that line was last
touched 94 days ago by Yue Lin Ho and they made exactly that change. It
seems to take a long time until they publish it on the website.

--
With kind regards
Christoph Michelbach