* [uml-devel] User Mode Linux
@ 2016-07-20 17:04 Ritesh Raj Sarraf
From: Ritesh Raj Sarraf @ 2016-07-20 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jdike, richard; +Cc: Mattia Dongili, user-mode-linux-devel

* Re: [uml-devel] User Mode Linux
@ 2016-07-20 17:28 ` Anton Ivanov
From: Anton Ivanov @ 2016-07-20 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrs, jdike, richard; +Cc: Mattia Dongili, user-mode-linux-devel

I have some patches which bring network performance to > 3gbit for a single core virtual router/firewall/net device, need to find time to get them up to date and resubmit.
Some disk is improvements too.

@ 2016-07-20 17:39 ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2016-07-20 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrs, jdike; +Cc: Mattia Dongili, user-mode-linux-devel

Hi!

Am 20.07.2016 um 19:04 schrieb Ritesh Raj Sarraf:
> Hello Jeff, Richard and the UML Team.
>
> Me and Mattia are maintainers for UML in the Debian Distribution.
>
> Recently, during a refresh of the package, we realized that the User Mode Linux
> website, which hosts useful documentation, doesn't seem to have been updated in
> years.

> The documentation which still is active and useful[1] is marked as "old" on the
> website.
> The wiki [2] on the other hand, points to a link with no content at all.
>
> Could you please share on what the roadmap and future plans for UML are?

Well, I maintain the UML kernel component. That meas I keep it running, fix regressions
and try to answer questions from other developers.
Since I do this in my spare time there is not much time left for adding new features.

So, my roadmap is "keep it alive" :-)

> And for the documentation on the old site, do you have it in a Source Markup
> Language? What we've used now is a dump of the website from [1]

I don't have such a dump. But I agree that we need to rework the website.
It is very, very old.
Maybe it is worth adding a UML section to http://kernelnewbies.org/?

Thanks,
//richard

* Re: [uml-devel] User Mode Linux
@ 2016-07-20 17:47   ` Ritesh Raj Sarraf
From: Ritesh Raj Sarraf @ 2016-07-20 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Weinberger, jdike; +Cc: Mattia Dongili, user-mode-linux-devel

Hello Richard,

On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 19:39 +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> > The documentation which still is active and useful[1] is marked as "old" on
> the
> > website.
> > The wiki [2] on the other hand, points to a link with no content at all.
> >
> > Could you please share on what the roadmap and future plans for UML are?
>
> Well, I maintain the UML kernel component. That meas I keep it running, fix
> regressions
> and try to answer questions from other developers.
> Since I do this in my spare time there is not much time left for adding new
> features.
>
> So, my roadmap is "keep it alive" :-)

Okay! Thanks for the update. I had the same impression and am glad to read that
you will continue to maintain it.

> > And for the documentation on the old site, do you have it in a Source Markup
> > Language? What we've used now is a dump of the website from [1]
>
> I don't have such a dump. But I agree that we need to rework the website.
> It is very, very old.
> Maybe it is worth adding a UML section to http://kernelnewbies.org/?

IN my opinion, the kernel wiki may be a better option for long term maintenance.
https://wiki.kernel.org/

The main page for wiki points no login link. But once you get into one of the
sub wikis, you can see the login link.
Take this link for example: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php?title=Specia
l:UserLogin&returnto=Main+Page

Maybe you could ask the kernel infra team to create a sub-wiki house for uml ?
And then we can all help migrate the content ?

For Debian, we'll keep the documentation package, and update when UML site finds
a new home.

- --
Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs
Debian - The Universal Operating System

* Re: [uml-devel] User Mode Linux
@ 2016-07-24 18:52     ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2016-07-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrs, jdike; +Cc: Mattia Dongili, user-mode-linux-devel

Am 20.07.2016 um 19:47 schrieb Ritesh Raj Sarraf:
> Hello Richard,
>
> On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 19:39 +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
>>> The documentation which still is active and useful[1] is marked as "old" on
>> the
>>> website.
>>> The wiki [2] on the other hand, points to a link with no content at all.
>>>
>>> Could you please share on what the roadmap and future plans for UML are?
>
>> Well, I maintain the UML kernel component. That meas I keep it running, fix
>> regressions
>> and try to answer questions from other developers.
>> Since I do this in my spare time there is not much time left for adding new
>> features.
>
>> So, my roadmap is "keep it alive" :-)
>

> Okay! Thanks for the update. I had the same impression and am glad to read that
> you will continue to maintain it.
>
>>> And for the documentation on the old site, do you have it in a Source Markup
>>> Language? What we've used now is a dump of the website from [1]
>
>> I don't have such a dump. But I agree that we need to rework the website.
>> It is very, very old.
>> Maybe it is worth adding a UML section to http://kernelnewbies.org/?
>
> IN my opinion, the kernel wiki may be a better option for long term maintenance.
> https://wiki.kernel.org/

Agreed.

> The main page for wiki points no login link. But once you get into one of the
> sub wikis, you can see the login link.
> Take this link for example: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php?title=Specia
> l:UserLogin&returnto=Main+Page
>
> Maybe you could ask the kernel infra team to create a sub-wiki house for uml ?
> And then we can all help migrate the content ?

Just sent a request to get a wiki instance. :-)

Thanks,
//richard