* What distros have Xen 4.7 packages that work on UEFI hardware?
@ 2016-08-01 16:59 lists
From: lists @ 2016-08-01 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I want to run Xen+Linux Dom0 host on server-grade UEFI hardware.

I want to use current stable releases of Xen (4.7) and Linux kernel (4.7).

I prefer to use distro packages when possible, but the current distro packages I use crash on Xen boot.

I can't keep having things down for days or weeks at a time and I can't get any response from the distro devs at all.

To get off this train I'm working on building my own Xen & Linux from source and getting that reliable enough for production here.  Not quite there yet.

In the meantime I should try other distros as alternatives too.

What distros, if any provide "official" and/or "regularly maintained" packages that are

(1) up-to-date with current stable releases of Xen and Kernel?
(2) known to work on UEFI hardware for Dom0 boot?
(3) can boot UEFI DomU guests?

* Re: What distros have Xen 4.7 packages that work on UEFI hardware?
@ 2016-08-02  7:06 ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2016-08-02  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: xen-devel

>>> On 01.08.16 at 18:59, <lists@ssl-mail.com> wrote:
> I want to run Xen+Linux Dom0 host on server-grade UEFI hardware.
>
> I want to use current stable releases of Xen (4.7) and Linux kernel (4.7).
>
> I prefer to use distro packages when possible, but the current distro
> packages I use crash on Xen boot.
>
> I can't keep having things down for days or weeks at a time and I can't get
> any response from the distro devs at all.
>
> To get off this train I'm working on building my own Xen & Linux from source
> and getting that reliable enough for production here.  Not quite there yet.
>
> In the meantime I should try other distros as alternatives too.
>
> What distros, if any provide "official" and/or "regularly maintained"
> packages that are
>
> (1) up-to-date with current stable releases of Xen and Kernel?
> (2) known to work on UEFI hardware for Dom0 boot?
> (3) can boot UEFI DomU guests?

I don't understand this distro related complaint. Afaict the bug is in
upstream Linux, and hence any distro will have the issue. And your
expectation that freshly released Linux (or Xen) versions are
completely bug free is simply wrong, as is your expectation that a
solution will always be found within a couple of days, the more
when quite a bit of back and forth is needed to even get all
relevant data. As was validly said recently in the context of a
different thread: The level of support you get is somewhat
proportional to the amount of money you spend.

Jan

* Re: What distros have Xen 4.7 packages that work on UEFI hardware?
@ 2016-08-02 13:03   ` lists
From: lists @ 2016-08-02 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016, at 12:06 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
> I don't understand this distro related complaint.

Possibly because it's not a complaint.  It's a question.

> Afaict the bug is in upstream Linux, and hence any distro will have the issue.
> expectation that freshly released Linux (or Xen) versions are
> completely bug free is simply wrong, as is your expectation that a
> solution will always be found within a couple of days, the more
> when quite a bit of back and forth is needed to even get all
> relevant data. As was validly said recently in the context of a
> different thread: The level of support you get is somewhat
> proportional to the amount of money you spend.

I don't have expectations here.  I have a question.

* Re: What distros have Xen 4.7 packages that work on UEFI hardware?
@ 2016-08-02 15:37     ` lists
From: lists @ 2016-08-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

> The level of support you get is somewhat proportional to the amount of money you spend.

I shared that comment here, and the immediate follow-on response was:

"Great.  Money's not the problem. Which commercial entity provides a supported solution?"

We're happy to consider Oracle, Redhat, Ubuntu or XenServer for commercial distros.

Debian too, if there's commercial support.