* profiling Firefox, no perf-<PID>.map file
@ 2016-09-03 18:53 Giovanni Gherdovich
From: Giovanni Gherdovich @ 2016-09-03 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

Hello,

when profiling firefox with perf (i.e. `perf top` or `perf record`) I
get errors like "Failed to open /tmp/perf-<PID>.map, continuing
without symbols". The perf docs says it has to do with the support for
JIT'ed code (tools/perf/Documentation/jit-interface.txt), which I
guess is produced by firefox' javascript engine (I could be wrong).

The documentation is a bit vague on how to have those perf-<PID>.map
files produced correctly, and the original commit introducing this
feature, 80d496be89ed "perf report: Add support for profiling JIT
generated code" only says "A JIT compiler is required [...]".

Is there a way to profile firefox and get those *.map files?
It's more of a curiosity, I am new to perf and I'm playing around.

Thanks,
Giovanni

* Re: profiling Firefox, no perf-<PID>.map file
@ 2016-09-03 20:37 ` Milian Wolff
From: Milian Wolff @ 2016-09-03 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Gherdovich; +Cc: linux-perf-users

On Samstag, 3. September 2016 20:53:26 CEST Giovanni Gherdovich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when profiling firefox with perf (i.e. `perf top` or `perf record`) I
> get errors like "Failed to open /tmp/perf-<PID>.map, continuing
> without symbols". The perf docs says it has to do with the support for
> JIT'ed code (tools/perf/Documentation/jit-interface.txt), which I
> guess is produced by firefox' javascript engine (I could be wrong).
>
> The documentation is a bit vague on how to have those perf-<PID>.map
> files produced correctly, and the original commit introducing this
> feature, 80d496be89ed "perf report: Add support for profiling JIT
> generated code" only says "A JIT compiler is required [...]".
>
> Is there a way to profile firefox and get those *.map files?
> It's more of a curiosity, I am new to perf and I'm playing around.

You need integration for generating such a file in the JavaScript engine. node
and QML are two examples for that. But if you don't want to attribute JIT code
addresses to JavaScript code, you can safely ignore this warning.

Bye

--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff@kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel: +49-30-521325470

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: profiling Firefox, no perf-<PID>.map file
@ 2016-09-04 10:50   ` Giovanni Gherdovich
From: Giovanni Gherdovich @ 2016-09-04 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milian Wolff; +Cc: linux-perf-users

On Sat, 2016-09-03 at 22:37 +0200, Milian Wolff wrote:
> [...]
>
> You need integration for generating such a file in the JavaScript engine. node
> and QML are two examples for that. But if you don't want to attribute JIT code
> addresses to JavaScript code, you can safely ignore this warning.

Right, thanks for pointing it out. It's the VM who's JIT'ing that is
in charge of writing the perf-<PID>.map files.
I've now found the relevant part in Brendan Gregg's perf page describing
this: http://www.brendangregg.com/perf.html#JIT_Symbols
The first time around I read that section it didn't ring a bell,
now I see what the problem is.

Thanks,
Giovanni