* ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-25 14:52 Otavio Salvador
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2016-10-25 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hello everyone,

In 2015 an effort to unify the i.MX and QorIQ BSP layers has been
started and today we are finally moving the FSL Community BSP to use
the result of this work.

The development of this new layer has been possible due a
collaborative work from O.S. Systems and NXP. It has been a long
commitment from all the involved people as we tried hard to make the
transition as seamless as possible.

The new layer, called meta-freescale, has been available for quite
some time at Github[1] but now it is also available under the Yocto
Project Git[2] server.

1. https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale
2. http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/

This layer supports Yocto Project 2.2 (morty) and upcoming releases
(master). Users of older releases should keep using the meta-fsl-arm
and meta-fsl-ppc layers.

As a consequence of the new unified layer, the meta-fsl-arm-extra and
meta-fsl-demos layers were also renamed so they use a more meaningful
name. Basically:

- meta-fsl-arm-extra has been renamed to meta-freescale-3rdparty. It
makes clear that 3rdparty boards are supported on this layer and also
removes the ARM from name as PowerPC and other NXP SoC’s based board
are welcome to be included there as well.

- meta-fsl-demos has been renamed to meta-freescale-distro. This
communicates better the layer goal as it has been always a design
decision to keep as isolated as possible the BSP and distribution
bits.

All previous releases are still working as Github provides a very nice
rename handling so all users and forks are still valid.

Please don’t think the work is complete as there are a number of
recipes inside meta-freescale that need clean up or to be moved to
other layers, however the base for the work is ready, and we need to
look forward in order to develop the layer for the best of the
community.

We are now focusing in verifying as much the build results as possible
from the new FSL Community BSP and to update the documentation to
reflect those changes. All possible help is welcome.

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-26  5:33 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2016-10-26  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

On 2016-10-25 16:52, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> In 2015 an effort to unify the i.MX and QorIQ BSP layers has been
> started and today we are finally moving the FSL Community BSP to use
> the result of this work.
>
> The development of this new layer has been possible due a
> collaborative work from O.S. Systems and NXP. It has been a long
> commitment from all the involved people as we tried hard to make the
> transition as seamless as possible.
>
> The new layer, called meta-freescale, has been available for quite
> some time at Github[1] but now it is also available under the Yocto
> Project Git[2] server.
>
> 1. https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale
> 2. http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/
>
> This layer supports Yocto Project 2.2 (morty) and upcoming releases
> (master). Users of older releases should keep using the meta-fsl-arm
> and meta-fsl-ppc layers.
>
> As a consequence of the new unified layer, the meta-fsl-arm-extra and
> meta-fsl-demos layers were also renamed so they use a more meaningful
> name. Basically:
>
> - meta-fsl-arm-extra has been renamed to meta-freescale-3rdparty. It
> makes clear that 3rdparty boards are supported on this layer and also
> removes the ARM from name as PowerPC and other NXP SoC’s based board
> are welcome to be included there as well.
>
> - meta-fsl-demos has been renamed to meta-freescale-distro. This
> communicates better the layer goal as it has been always a design
> decision to keep as isolated as possible the BSP and distribution
> bits.

> All previous releases are still working as Github provides a very nice
> rename handling so all users and forks are still valid.
>
> Please don’t think the work is complete as there are a number of
> recipes inside meta-freescale that need clean up or to be moved to
> other layers, however the base for the work is ready, and we need to
> look forward in order to develop the layer for the best of the
> community.

So, in practice, should we start using these new layers immediately?

Also, will new work/changes only be done in these new/renamed layers?

--
Gary Thomas

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-26  6:54 ` Maciej Borzęcki
From: Maciej Borzęcki @ 2016-10-26  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> In 2015 an effort to unify the i.MX and QorIQ BSP layers has been
> started and today we are finally moving the FSL Community BSP to use
> the result of this work.
>
> The development of this new layer has been possible due a
> collaborative work from O.S. Systems and NXP. It has been a long
> commitment from all the involved people as we tried hard to make the
> transition as seamless as possible.
>
> The new layer, called meta-freescale, has been available for quite
> some time at Github[1] but now it is also available under the Yocto
> Project Git[2] server.
>
> 1. https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale
> 2. http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/
>
> This layer supports Yocto Project 2.2 (morty) and upcoming releases
> (master). Users of older releases should keep using the meta-fsl-arm
> and meta-fsl-ppc layers.
>
> As a consequence of the new unified layer, the meta-fsl-arm-extra and
> meta-fsl-demos layers were also renamed so they use a more meaningful
> name. Basically:
>
> - meta-fsl-arm-extra has been renamed to meta-freescale-3rdparty. It
> makes clear that 3rdparty boards are supported on this layer and also
> removes the ARM from name as PowerPC and other NXP SoC’s based board
> are welcome to be included there as well.
>
> - meta-fsl-demos has been renamed to meta-freescale-distro. This
> communicates better the layer goal as it has been always a design
> decision to keep as isolated as possible the BSP and distribution
> bits.
>
> All previous releases are still working as Github provides a very nice
> rename handling so all users and forks are still valid.
>
> Please don’t think the work is complete as there are a number of
> recipes inside meta-freescale that need clean up or to be moved to
> other layers, however the base for the work is ready, and we need to
> look forward in order to develop the layer for the best of the
> community.
>
> We are now focusing in verifying as much the build results as possible
> from the new FSL Community BSP and to update the documentation to
> reflect those changes. All possible help is welcome.

Do we know what's the status of other vendors who ship i.MX based
systems but were not part of meta-fsl-arm-extra, Gateworks for
example?

Cheers,
--
Maciej Borzecki
RnDity

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-26  9:55   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2016-10-26  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 3:33 AM, Gary Thomas <samoht.yrag@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2016-10-25 16:52, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> So, in practice, should we start using these new layers immediately?

If you have products using krogoth or older releases, nothing changes.

For master and upcoming morty, yes, new layers.

> Also, will new work/changes only be done in these new/renamed layers?

Yes as master is using the new layout.

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-26 10:00   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2016-10-26 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Borzęcki; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 4:54 AM, Maciej Borzęcki
<maciej.borzecki@rndity.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>> We are now focusing in verifying as much the build results as possible
>> from the new FSL Community BSP and to update the documentation to
>> reflect those changes. All possible help is welcome.
>
> Do we know what's the status of other vendors who ship i.MX based
> systems but were not part of meta-fsl-arm-extra, Gateworks for
> example?

As we explained in the e-mail, meta-fsl-arm-extra has been renamed to
meta-freescale-3rdparty. It makes clear that 3rdparty boards are
supported on this layer and also removes the ARM from name as PowerPC
and other NXP SoC’s based board are welcome to be included there as
well.

So everything which was in meta-fsl-arm-extra is now on
meta-freescale-3rdparty. Gateworks /is/ included[1].

1. https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale-3rdparty/blob/master/conf/machine/ventana.conf

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-26 11:16 ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2016-10-26 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> In 2015 an effort to unify the i.MX and QorIQ BSP layers has been
> started and today we are finally moving the FSL Community BSP to use
> the result of this work.

I think this is a good opportunity to rename the project as well.
Instead of using FSL Community BSP we could use FSL Community PDK.

My point is that we have more than a BSP in our metalayers.

What do you think?
Daiane

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-26 11:22   ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2016-10-26 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiane Angolini; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Daiane Angolini <daiane.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> In 2015 an effort to unify the i.MX and QorIQ BSP layers has been
>> started and today we are finally moving the FSL Community BSP to use
>> the result of this work.
>
> I think this is a good opportunity to rename the project as well.
> Instead of using FSL Community BSP we could use FSL Community PDK.

Speaking in renaming: why don't we use NXP instead of FSL?

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-26 12:15     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2016-10-26 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Estevam, Lauren Post; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Daiane Angolini <daiane.list@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Otavio Salvador
>> <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> In 2015 an effort to unify the i.MX and QorIQ BSP layers has been
>>> started and today we are finally moving the FSL Community BSP to use
>>> the result of this work.
>>
>> I think this is a good opportunity to rename the project as well.
>> Instead of using FSL Community BSP we could use FSL Community PDK.
>
> Speaking in renaming: why don't we use NXP instead of FSL?

This need to be checked with Lauren; I added her on Cc.

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-26 22:12       ` Max Krummenacher
From: Max Krummenacher @ 2016-10-26 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Daiane Angolini <daiane.list@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think this is a good opportunity to rename the project as well.
>>> Instead of using FSL Community BSP we could use FSL Community PDK.
>>
>> Speaking in renaming: why don't we use NXP instead of FSL?

In OE/Yocto a distro layer is some thing special. So using distro in a
layer name which is not a distro layer is sort of confusing.

If there is another rename ahead, I would propose to also consider to
not use '-distro' in meta-freescale-distro. I don't know what was the
rationale to no longer user the '-demo', if one does not want to use
demo one could use e.g.
...-sw or ...-user.

Regards
Max

@ 2016-10-27 10:14         ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2016-10-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Krummenacher; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hello Max,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 8:12 PM, Max Krummenacher <max.oss.09@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi

>>> Speaking in renaming: why don't we use NXP instead of FSL?
>
> In OE/Yocto a distro layer is some thing special. So using distro in a
> layer name which is not a distro layer is sort of confusing.
>
> If there is another rename ahead, I would propose to also consider to
> not use '-distro' in meta-freescale-distro. I don't know what was the
> rationale to no longer user the '-demo', if one does not want to use
> demo one could use e.g.
> ...-sw or ...-user.

Because the layer is going to include the distros.

One huge problem we have now is that the community release and the NXP
release use different components for few core items (kernel, gstreamer
plugin, u-boot) and we are cooking the different set of distros so
users can easily reproduce the NXP release.

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-27 12:48           ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2016-10-27 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> Hello Max,
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 8:12 PM, Max Krummenacher <max.oss.09@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi

>> In OE/Yocto a distro layer is some thing special. So using distro in a
>> layer name which is not a distro layer is sort of confusing.
>>
>> If there is another rename ahead, I would propose to also consider to
>> not use '-distro' in meta-freescale-distro. I don't know what was the
>> rationale to no longer user the '-demo', if one does not want to use
>> demo one could use e.g.
>> ...-sw or ...-user.
>
> Because the layer is going to include the distros.

Otavio, it makes me think we need to also work on the Documentation to
accommodate all the changes. It's going to be a huge change.

I'm really busy working for the FTF Connect Brazil, so I can only
start working on this task after November 8th.

Regards,
Daiane

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-27 12:52             ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2016-10-27 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiane Angolini; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Daiane Angolini <daiane.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>> Hello Max,
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 8:12 PM, Max Krummenacher <max.oss.09@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> In OE/Yocto a distro layer is some thing special. So using distro in a
>>> layer name which is not a distro layer is sort of confusing.
>>>
>>> If there is another rename ahead, I would propose to also consider to
>>> not use '-distro' in meta-freescale-distro. I don't know what was the
>>> rationale to no longer user the '-demo', if one does not want to use
>>> demo one could use e.g.
>>> ...-sw or ...-user.
>>
>> Because the layer is going to include the distros.
>
> Otavio, it makes me think we need to also work on the Documentation to
> accommodate all the changes. It's going to be a huge change.
>
> I'm really busy working for the FTF Connect Brazil, so I can only
> start working on this task after November 8th.

Yes; the documentation does need to change to accommodate to the new layout.

The biggest problem of this date is the delay in releasing the FSL
Community BSP. Maybe someone could help to try to reduce the time?

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-27 14:05     ` Thomas Thorne
From: Thomas Thorne @ 2016-10-27 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Estevam, meta-freescale

> Speaking in renaming: why don't we use NXP instead of FSL?

Perhaps after yesterday's announcement you should delay the rename a few months and use Qualcomm instead of NXP?  Or perhaps plan to move directly from FSL to Qualcomm in a couple of years depending how it all pans out.

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-27 17:00     ` Maciej Borzęcki
From: Maciej Borzęcki @ 2016-10-27 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 4:54 AM, Maciej Borzęcki
> <maciej.borzecki@rndity.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Otavio Salvador
>> <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>>> We are now focusing in verifying as much the build results as possible
>>> from the new FSL Community BSP and to update the documentation to
>>> reflect those changes. All possible help is welcome.
>>
>> Do we know what's the status of other vendors who ship i.MX based
>> systems but were not part of meta-fsl-arm-extra, Gateworks for
>> example?
>
> As we explained in the e-mail, meta-fsl-arm-extra has been renamed to
> meta-freescale-3rdparty. It makes clear that 3rdparty boards are
> supported on this layer and also removes the ARM from name as PowerPC
> and other NXP SoC’s based board are welcome to be included there as
> well.
>
> So everything which was in meta-fsl-arm-extra is now on
> meta-freescale-3rdparty. Gateworks /is/ included[1].
>
> 1. https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale-3rdparty/blob/master/conf/machine/ventana.conf

My bad, looks like I've been using meta-gateworks significantly longer
than necessary.

Anyways, it's great to see this consolidation happen. Congratulations
to everyone involved.

--
Maciej Borzecki
RnDity

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-28  9:38           ` Max Krummenacher
From: Max Krummenacher @ 2016-10-28  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hello Otavio

Am Donnerstag, den 27.10.2016, 08:14 -0200 schrieb Otavio Salvador:
> Hello Max,
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 8:12 PM, Max Krummenacher <
> max.oss.09@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi

> > otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br>:

> > In OE/Yocto a distro layer is some thing special. So using distro
> > in a
> > layer name which is not a distro layer is sort of confusing.
> >
> > If there is another rename ahead, I would propose to also consider
> > not use '-distro' in meta-freescale-distro. I don't know what was
> > the
> > rationale to no longer user the '-demo', if one does not want to
> > use
> > demo one could use e.g.
> > ...-sw or ...-user.
>
> Because the layer is going to include the distros.
>
> One huge problem we have now is that the community release and the
> NXP
> release use different components for few core items (kernel,
> gstreamer
> plugin, u-boot) and we are cooking the different set of distros so
> users can easily reproduce the NXP release.

Thanks for the explanation.

Max

* Re: ANN: New layout for FSL Community BSP and BSP layers
@ 2016-10-28 12:36       ` Lauren Post
From: Lauren Post @ 2016-10-28 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Thorne, Fabio Estevam, meta-freescale

The delay on renaming was because of legal transitions to NXP happening through 2016. The announcement does change things of which we'll consider at a later time.   The legal transition is why we've continued to use Freescale in all our copyrights in 2016.

We've worked together on this transition for over a year and for i.MX the use of distros is something we've pushed for almost as long.  This is a good thing and hopefully will include other product lines in the future.   Thank you Otavio for all your hard work on making this happen.

We still have a great deal of work to in progress do going forward providing our 2017 releases based on morty release.

Lauren