* [LSF/MM TOPIC] Optimizations for swap sub-system
@ 2017-01-06 20:34 Tim Chen
From: Tim Chen @ 2017-01-06 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc
  Cc: linux-mm, Johannes Weiner, Tim Chen, Michal Hocko, Shaohua Li,
	Huang, Ying

We have some swap related topics we'll like to discuss
at mm summit. A We'll like to get everyone's opinionsA
to guide future swap related work that we have in mind.

1. DAX swap -A
For swap space on very fast solid state block devices, the swappedA
pages can be accessed directly using DAX mechanism withoutA
incurring the overhead to allocate a page in RAM and swap themA
in.A A The direct access swap space should speed things up inA
many cases.A A One remaining issue is if the pages are accessedA
frequently, we may still need to promote them back to RAM.A A Wea??llA
like to discuss several possible approaches and their pros andA
cons to see what is the most viable:A
A  (i) Using performance monitoring unit to measure the access frequencyA
A  (ii) Extend the LRU list to such DAX swap spaceA
A  (iii) A page scanning daemon

2. Improving Swap Read Ahead -A
The current swap read ahead is done in the same order that theA
pages are swapped out.A A However, the order of page access mayA
have no relations with the order that the pages are accessed,A
especially for sequential memory access.A A Wea??ll like to discussA
detection mechanism for sequential memory access and using a VMAA
based read ahead for such case.

3. Improving Swap out path -A
Optimization of the swap out paths by reducing the contentionsA
on the locks on swap device, radix tree by introducing finerA
grained lock on cluster, splitting up the radix tree and gettingA
swap pages and releasing swap pages in batches. A We'll like to
address any issues if our proposed patchset has not been
merged by the time of mm summit.

4. Huge Page Swapping -A
Now, the transparent huge page (THP) will be split before swappingA
out and collapsed back to THP after swapping in.A A This will wasteA
CPU cycles and reduce effectiveness (utilization) of THP.A A To resolveA
these issue, we propose to avoid splitting THP during swap out/in.A A
At the same time, this give us the opportunity to further optimizeA
the performance of THP swap out/in with large read/write size andA
reduced TLB flushing etc. to take advantage of the new high speedA
storage device.

Thanks.

Ying Huang & Tim Chen

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-01-06 20:34 UTC | newest]