* [LSF/MM ATTEND AND AGENDA TOPIC] request to attend the summit
@ 2017-01-02 18:14 Paolo Valente
From: Paolo Valente @ 2017-01-02 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc; +Cc: Ulf Hansson, Linus Walleij, Mark Brown, linux-block

Hi,
this is to retry to request to attend the summit.  This time I'm
trying to propose and agenda topic too.

I would like to attend, and propose a topic, because:
1) the project for adding (only) the BFQ I/O scheduler to blk-mq has
entered a quite active phase: the framework prepared by Jens seems
mostly ready and complete, and I need just a few details to complete
the port of BFQ.
2) the landing of BFQ into blk-mq might have possibly important
consequences, in a way or the other.

So, it might be quite useful for me, and possibly for other
developers/stakeholders interested in these changes and consequences,
to have the opportunity to talk with each other, exactly when, or
right after these changes happen.

In addition, a few months ago Greg KH and James Bottomley even
suggested to postpone to this summit, or Vault, the KS discussion that
I proposed on the unsolved latency problems for which BFQ has been
devised.  So, my topic proposal would be exactly this:
"Unsolved latency problems, related to I/O, in Linux: consequences on
lsb-compliant and Android systems, solutions proposed so far, possible
next solutions".

If needed, I can provide more details on this topic.

As for the expertise that I may bring, I'm somehow expert in:
guaranteeing a good system and application responsiveness (a low lag
in typical Android terminology), providing strong low-latency
guarantees to video/audio playing/streaming applications, guaranteeing
a fair share of the bandwidth, and not just the time, of I/O
resources.

I would like to submit a talk proposal to Vault too.

Thanks,
Paolo