* corruption: yet another one after deleting a ro snapshot
@ 2017-01-12  1:07 Christoph Anton Mitterer
From: Christoph Anton Mitterer @ 2017-01-12  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hey.

Linux heisenberg 4.8.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.8.15-2 (2017-01-04)
x86_64 GNU/Linux
btrfs-progs v4.7.3

I've had this already at least once some year ago or so:

I was doing backups (incremental via send/receive).
After everything was copied, I unmounted the destination fs, made a
fsck, all fine.
Then I mounted it again and did nothing but deleting the old snapshot.
After that, another fsck with the following errors:

Usually I have quite positive experiences with btrfs (things seem to be
fine even after a crash or accidental removal of the USB cable which
attaches the HDD)... but I'm every time shocked again, when supposedly
simple and basic operations like this cause such corruptions.
Kinda gives one the feeling as if quite deep bugs are still everywhere
in place, especially as such "hard to explain" errors happens every now
and then (take e.g. my mails "strange btrfs deadlock", "csum errors
during btrfs check" from the last days... and I don't seem to be the
only one who suffers from such problems, even with the basic parts of
btrfs which are considered to be stable - I mean we're not talking
about RAID56 here)... sigh :-(

While these files are precious, I have in total copies of all these
files, 3 on btrfs and 1 on ext4 (just to be on the safe side if btrfs
gets corrupted for no good reason :-( ).... so I could do some
debugging here if some developer tells me what to do.

Anyway... what should I do to repair the fs? Or is it better to simply
re-create that backup from scratch?

Cheers,
Chris.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 5930 bytes --]

* Re: corruption: yet another one after deleting a ro snapshot
@ 2017-01-12 10:27 Giuseppe Della Bianca
From: Giuseppe Della Bianca @ 2017-01-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: calestyo; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Hi.

I had issues with a case very similar to yours.

My experience is that subvolume delete and/or attempt to repair the file
system makes the situation worse.

To gain experience and accepting losing the data of the file system, I
have always tried to recover the file system.

But then I always had to recreate the partition from scratch.

Cheers.

gdb

* Re: corruption: yet another one after deleting a ro snapshot
@ 2017-01-16 11:06 Giuseppe Della Bianca
From: Giuseppe Della Bianca @ 2017-01-16 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quwenruo, calestyo; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Hi.

If it can be helpful.

How to double checking the status of my filesystem, I launched ' btrfs
scrub / ' and/or ' du -sh /* '.
If the file system is corrupt, in my case, the command have aborted.

Regards.

gdb