* [Xenomai] ARM L2C-310 cahce controller enabling
@ 2017-01-31  8:17 Mauro Salvini
From: Mauro Salvini @ 2017-01-31  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,
I'm working on a iMX6SX custom platform and I'm trying to use Xenomai on
top of it.
In the past, I tried Xenomai on a iMX6SX SabreSD demoboard using kernel
branch 4.1.15 from Freescale patched with Xenomai 3.0.1 (some little
rejections corrected by hand), and I was able to get a maximum latency
around 25us.
Now, using kernel 4.1.36 from Freescale Community (that integrates the
Freescale kernel branch) patched with Xenomai 3.0.3 I get maximum
latencies around 45us.

Trying to figure out what is the source(s) of increased latencies, I
found these two kernel logs:

[    0.000000] L2C: I-pipe: revision >= L310-r3p2 detected, forcing WA.
[    0.000000] L2C: I-pipe: write-allocate enabled, induces high
latencies.

I wonder why L2C-310 cache controllers that are greater or equal to r3p2
revision must be forced enabled.

In past I read (and asked) in this mailing list that L2 cache should be
disabled to avoid higher latencies (as kernel log says).

Thanks in advance, best regards

Mauro

* Re: [Xenomai] ARM L2C-310 cahce controller enabling
@ 2017-01-31  8:28 ` Mauro Salvini
From: Mauro Salvini @ 2017-01-31  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,
sorry, found myself the answer here:

http://git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git/commit/?h=ipipe-4.1.y&id=a2a9a6148449095fa658a6d0d0cbed3308be2cfb

So, should be L2 cache disabled for iMX6SX (that has a single  core)?

Thanks again, regards
Mauro

@ 2017-01-31  9:34   ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2017-01-31  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Salvini, xenomai

On 01/31/2017 09:28 AM, Mauro Salvini wrote:
> Hi,
> sorry, found myself the answer here:
>
> http://git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git/commit/?h=ipipe-4.1.y&id=a2a9a6148449095fa658a6d0d0cbed3308be2cfb
>
> So, should be L2 cache disabled for iMX6SX (that has a single  core)?

Not the entire cache, but you may want to try running with
write-allocate off using the "l2x0_write_allocate" kernel switch, since
cache coherence issues are not going to be relevant in this case.

> Thanks again, regards
> Mauro
>
> On Tue, 2017-01-31 at 09:17 +0100, Mauro Salvini wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm working on a iMX6SX custom platform and I'm trying to use Xenomai on
>> top of it.
>> In the past, I tried Xenomai on a iMX6SX SabreSD demoboard using kernel
>> branch 4.1.15 from Freescale patched with Xenomai 3.0.1 (some little
>> rejections corrected by hand), and I was able to get a maximum latency
>> around 25us.
>> Now, using kernel 4.1.36 from Freescale Community (that integrates the
>> Freescale kernel branch) patched with Xenomai 3.0.3 I get maximum
>> latencies around 45us.
>>
>> Trying to figure out what is the source(s) of increased latencies, I
>> found these two kernel logs:
>>
>> [    0.000000] L2C: I-pipe: revision >= L310-r3p2 detected, forcing WA.
>> [    0.000000] L2C: I-pipe: write-allocate enabled, induces high
>> latencies.
>>
>> I wonder why L2C-310 cache controllers that are greater or equal to r3p2
>> revision must be forced enabled.
>>
>> In past I read (and asked) in this mailing list that L2 cache should be
>> disabled to avoid higher latencies (as kernel log says).
>>
>> Thanks in advance, best regards
>>
>> Mauro

Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai] ARM L2C-310 cahce controller enabling
@ 2017-02-01  8:06     ` Mauro Salvini
From: Mauro Salvini @ 2017-02-01  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum; +Cc: xenomai

Thank you Philippe.

I will try this, now I'm facing with other problems (I will send another
mail for those).
Only one note: for systems with L310 cache controller with version
greater or equal to R3P2 (like iMX6SX) the "l2x0_write_allocate" kernel
switch is useless (it's always overwritten in __l2c_init() call), will
need a code edit to disable write-allocate.

Regards
Mauro