* Re: [SPDK] "Requested device XXX cannot be used" warning in device detach procedure may be misleading
@ 2017-03-13 16:10 Walker, Benjamin
From: Walker, Benjamin @ 2017-03-13 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

On Mon, 2017-03-13 at 12:28 +0800, Freeman Zhang wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 3/13/17 12:03 PM, Chang, Cunyin wrote:
> >
> > Actually, the error message caused by the function
> > spdk_pci_device_detach(), after we detach the device, we try to
> > call the function
> > rte_eal_pci_probe_one(), but we do not have callback function for
> > the dpdk nvme driver at this point, so the error message show up,
> > but  this function will add the device back to dpdk pci device
> > list, then we could probe the device next time when
> > we want to use it again. So it has no adverse effects but just one
> > error message, but we still trying to fix it now.
> >

> Thanks for your reply!
>
> I've noticed it and that is why I think it's kind of misleading. So I
> guess we should not focus only on reusing codes but also making it
> clearer for both users and developers.

The problem is that DPDK is not exposing a public API to do the
operation we need to do (unload a driver but not remove it entirely
from the list of PCI devices). We're working with the DPDK team to add
a public API to do that while also investigating better ways to work
around the issue that don't leave us with this confusing error message.

> All the best!
> Freeman

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3274 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] "Requested device XXX cannot be used" warning in device detach procedure may be misleading
@ 2017-03-13  4:28 Freeman Zhang
From: Freeman Zhang @ 2017-03-13  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi

On 3/13/17 12:03 PM, Chang, Cunyin wrote:

> Actually, the error message caused by the function spdk_pci_device_detach(), after we detach the device, we try to call the function
> rte_eal_pci_probe_one(), but we do not have callback function for the dpdk nvme driver at this point, so the error message show up,
> but  this function will add the device back to dpdk pci device list, then we could probe the device next time when
> we want to use it again. So it has no adverse effects but just one error message, but we still trying to fix it now.

Thanks for your reply!

I've noticed it and that is why I think it's kind of misleading. So I
guess we should not focus only on reusing codes but also making it
clearer for both users and developers.

All the best!
Freeman

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [SPDK] "Requested device XXX cannot be used" warning in device detach procedure may be misleading
@ 2017-03-13  4:03 Chang, Cunyin

From: Freeman Zhang @ 2017-03-12  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk