* ipset on older kernels
@ 2016-09-21 18:06 Sudheendra Murthy
From: Sudheendra Murthy @ 2016-09-21 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi,

I'm trying to install iptables and ipset on an older kernel version 2.6.35-22-server. I was able to build iptables from source and iptables v1.6.0 is working fine.

For ipset, I patched the kernel sources based on netlink.patch and ipset compiled correctly. However, when I try to execute any ipset command, it gives the following error.

# ipset -L
ipset v6.29: Kernel error received: Invalid argument

# dmesg
[69432.285219] ip_set: cannot register with nfnetlink.

From the code, it looks like it is failing when executing nfnetlink_subsys_register(...) (http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/net/netfilter/ipset/ip_set_core.c#L2069).

Are there any other changes necessary?

Thanks,
Sudhi.

* Re: ipset on older kernels
@ 2016-09-22  9:25 ` Jozsef Kadlecsik
From: Jozsef Kadlecsik @ 2016-09-22  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudheendra Murthy; +Cc: netfilter

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016, Sudheendra Murthy wrote:

> I'm trying to install iptables and ipset on an older kernel version
> 2.6.35-22-server. I was able to build iptables from source and iptables
> v1.6.0 is working fine.
>
> For ipset, I patched the kernel sources based on netlink.patch and ipset
> compiled correctly. However, when I try to execute any ipset command, it
> gives the following error.
>
> # ipset -L
> ipset v6.29: Kernel error received: Invalid argument
>
> # dmesg
> [69432.285219] ip_set: cannot register with nfnetlink.
>
> From the code, it looks like it is failing when executing
> nfnetlink_subsys_register(...)
> (http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/net/netfilter/ipset/ip_set_core.c#L2069).

As it is written in the README file of the ipset package, for kernel
versions < 2.6.39 you have to apply the netlink.patch from the package and
recompile the kernel itself.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu, kadlecsik.jozsef@wigner.mta.hu
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary