* last call for selinux 2.7-rc1 release
@ 2017-04-21 14:04 Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2017-04-21 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

Hi,

We plan to cut a 2.7-rc1 selinux userspace release in the next week or
so.  If you have any additional patches you want included in 2.7,
please post them to the list soon.

Thanks.

* Re: last call for selinux 2.7-rc1 release
@ 2017-04-24  3:47 ` Jason Zaman
From: Jason Zaman @ 2017-04-24  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley; +Cc: selinux

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:04:27AM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We plan to cut a 2.7-rc1 selinux userspace release in the next week or
> so.  If you have any additional patches you want included in 2.7,
> please post them to the list soon.

Thanks for the notice, I have a couple things:
1) mcstransd still needs to be ported to libpcre2 from the looks of it.
I know nothing about libpcre so probably easier if someone else does it ;)

2) the libpcre CFLAGS and LDLIBS should get stuff from pkg_config cuz i
think some arches have special requirements (but i forgot which was the
problem)

3) I have a patch for policycoreutils so that it honours LINGUAS and
only installs the .po files that the user wants. I'll send it with the
next things.

4) There are a few things with the build system that have had patches in
gentoo for a fair while that I want to upstream but I'm not sure the
best way.

4a) there is a bit of mixup with LDLIBS and LDFLAGS throughout, -lfoo
goes in LDLIBS and -L/usr/lib/foo goes in LDFLAGS.
https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Implicit-Variables.html
This is pretty uncontroversial so i'll send a patch to set/reorder them. It
matters because some compilers are stricter and things can also break with
things like -Wl,as-needed.
https://ao2.it/en/blog/2011/11/27/dont-mix-ldflags-and-ldlibs

4b) This is the one im confused about, we've had a patch in gentoo for
ages to remove -I/usr/include and -L/usr/lib cuz the toolchain
automatically handles those and apparently they are wrong if you are
cross compiling and stuff or compiling into a SYSROOT.
https://bugs.gentoo.org/500674
The latest incarnation of the patch is at:
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-libs/libselinux/files/libselinux-2.6-0007-build-related-fixes-bug-500674.patch
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-libs/libsemanage/files/libsemanage-2.7-build-paths.patch

I was working on a patch to remove these everywhere and it works to
build on my machine from my initial testing but it appears to break
if you do make DESTDIR=/tmp/selinux install which is in the README.
Arguably, this is abusing DESTDIR because DESTDIR should never affect
compilation and currently that command uses /tmp/selinux/include/*.h
and stuff instead of the global ones. On the other hand, it is fairly
convenient to build and test it all in one command.

What is the best way to approach this? As far as I can tell, the correct
way to install into /tmp/selinux would be to override *FLAGS and add
those search dirs manually but that gets rather verbose.
We could add a new target to the root Makefile to add all those extra
paths so we can be lazy?

Thoughts?
Jason

* Re: last call for selinux 2.7-rc1 release
@ 2017-04-24 15:47   ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2017-04-24 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Zaman; +Cc: selinux

On Mon, 2017-04-24 at 11:47 +0800, Jason Zaman wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:04:27AM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We plan to cut a 2.7-rc1 selinux userspace release in the next week
> > or
> > so.  If you have any additional patches you want included in 2.7,
> > please post them to the list soon.
>
> Thanks for the notice, I have a couple things:
> 1) mcstransd still needs to be ported to libpcre2 from the looks of
> it.
> I know nothing about libpcre so probably easier if someone else does
> it ;)

Ok, noted, but not necessarily a blocker IMHO.  mcstransd really isn't
required outside of MLS environments, and they can always just keep
using libpcre if necessary.

> 2) the libpcre CFLAGS and LDLIBS should get stuff from pkg_config cuz
> think some arches have special requirements (but i forgot which was
> the
> problem)
>
> 3) I have a patch for policycoreutils so that it honours LINGUAS and
> only installs the .po files that the user wants. I'll send it with
> the
> next things.

We also need to figure out what to do with the po files given the
policycoreutils splitup.

> 4) There are a few things with the build system that have had patches
> in
> gentoo for a fair while that I want to upstream but I'm not sure the
> best way.
>
> 4a) there is a bit of mixup with LDLIBS and LDFLAGS throughout, -lfoo
> goes in LDLIBS and -L/usr/lib/foo goes in LDFLAGS.
> https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Implicit-Variables
> .html
> This is pretty uncontroversial so i'll send a patch to set/reorder
> them. It
> matters because some compilers are stricter and things can also break
> with
> things like -Wl,as-needed.
> https://ao2.it/en/blog/2011/11/27/dont-mix-ldflags-and-ldlibs
>
> 4b) This is the one im confused about, we've had a patch in gentoo
> for
> ages to remove -I/usr/include and -L/usr/lib cuz the toolchain
> automatically handles those and apparently they are wrong if you are
> cross compiling and stuff or compiling into a SYSROOT.
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/500674
> The latest incarnation of the patch is at:
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-libs/libselinux/fi
> les/libselinux-2.6-0007-build-related-fixes-bug-500674.patch
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-libs/libsemanage/f
> iles/libsemanage-2.7-build-paths.patch
>
> I was working on a patch to remove these everywhere and it works to
> build on my machine from my initial testing but it appears to break
> if you do make DESTDIR=/tmp/selinux install which is in the README.
> Arguably, this is abusing DESTDIR because DESTDIR should never affect
> compilation and currently that command uses /tmp/selinux/include/*.h
> and stuff instead of the global ones. On the other hand, it is fairly
> convenient to build and test it all in one command.
>
> What is the best way to approach this? As far as I can tell, the
> correct
> way to install into /tmp/selinux would be to override *FLAGS and add
> those search dirs manually but that gets rather verbose.
> We could add a new target to the root Makefile to add all those extra
> paths so we can be lazy?
>
> Thoughts?

-I$(INCLUDEDIR) -L$(LIBDIR) is intentional to support building against
non-system headers/libraries.  Not sure why that's a problem; one can
always override the INCLUDEDIR and LIBDIR definitions.

If it truly is a problem, then I guess the approach you suggest would
work.

* Re: last call for selinux 2.7-rc1 release
@ 2017-06-02 17:21 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2017-06-02 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

On Fri, 2017-04-21 at 10:04 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We plan to cut a 2.7-rc1 selinux userspace release in the next week
> or
> so.  If you have any additional patches you want included in 2.7,
> please post them to the list soon.

This took longer than anticipated due to patch volume and wanting to
get certain features and bug fixes in place, but I think we should be
ready to cut an -rc1 release next week.