* [Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Your build results for 2017-05-02
       [not found]   ` <CAOMZO5BbPjn9b6i1uDr01ikFsSHWy9xkzfpk7F7GhssQyCuuJw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-05-04  7:30     ` Thomas Petazzoni
       [not found]       ` <035B547B-A554-4715-A235-95E6A1E14EE9@uclibc-ng.org>
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-05-04  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Wed, 3 May 2017 18:20:20 -0300, Fabio Estevam wrote:

> >>          arc | atest-895b0183a89c15f5e2305... | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/f344bbc94344107ef2f0337a4d8f211563d5a3bf

This one is the ARC pre-built toolchain, which we don't have control
over. So for now, we need to add an exclusion.

Waldemar: in fact, re-enabling atest, ifupdown and lvm on uClibc was
wrong, because the ARC external toolchain provided pre-built by
Synopsys does not have wordexp support and does not use uClibc-ng
1.0.24 yet.

Vlad: do you know when the Synopsys toolchain might be rebuilt with
those options enabled?

> >> microblazeel | atest-895b0183a89c15f5e2305... | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/b05ef59f1fd20800da2f407f64c369b9b5252328
> >> microblazeel | atest-895b0183a89c15f5e2305... | http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/35b4a1e2a47f4e169e286fa8d25606821a88cc58

Those ones are due to me having forgotten to rebuild the Microblaze
toolchain. I've just started the build, I will deploy once the build is
finished.

Thanks for reporting the issue!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

@ 2017-05-04  7:57         ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-05-04  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Thu, 4 May 2017 09:48:57 +0200, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:

> I wouldn't say it was wrong.
> We have all internal toolchains fixed and we get a good idea about the quality of the latest release.
>
> May be it will motivate Synopsis to release a new tarball, as other important ARC Bugfixes are included
> in this release.

Well the problem is that in the mean time, we have autobuilder failures
caused by this. We are about to release -rc1, so we will try to reduce
the number of autobuilder failures, and this will get in the way. Which
is why we need to find a solution here.

 (1) Synopsys quickly publishes a new pre-built toolchain with uClibc
     1.0.24 + wordexp

 (2) We disable the Synopsys toolchain from our autobuilders

 (3) We re-add exceptions in the relevant packages, but only for the
     Synopsys toolchain (and not uClibc globally)

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2017-05-04  8:46           ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2017-05-04  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Hello,
 > On Thu, 4 May 2017 09:48:57 +0200, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:

 >> I wouldn't say it was wrong.
 >> We have all internal toolchains fixed and we get a good idea about the quality of the latest release.
 >>
 >> May be it will motivate Synopsis to release a new tarball, as other important ARC Bugfixes are included
 >> in this release.

 > Well the problem is that in the mean time, we have autobuilder failures
 > caused by this. We are about to release -rc1, so we will try to reduce
 > the number of autobuilder failures, and this will get in the way. Which
 > is why we need to find a solution here.

 >  (1) Synopsys quickly publishes a new pre-built toolchain with uClibc
 >      1.0.24 + wordexp

 >  (2) We disable the Synopsys toolchain from our autobuilders

I would suggest we give Synopsys a few days to do (1), and if it doesn't
get fixed / too much noise in the autobuilder results do (2).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

@ 2017-05-04 15:04       ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-05-04 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Thu, 4 May 2017 09:30:49 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Those ones are due to me having forgotten to rebuild the Microblaze
> toolchain. I've just started the build, I will deploy once the build is
> finished.

Build finished, toolchain deployed and used by the autobuilders.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2017-05-04 15:34             ` Alexey Brodkin
From: Alexey Brodkin @ 2017-05-04 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas, Peter, Waldemar, all,

On Thu, 2017-05-04 at 10:46 +0200, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

> ?> Hello,
> ?> On Thu, 4 May 2017 09:48:57 +0200, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
>
> ?>> I wouldn't say it was wrong.
> ?>> We have all internal toolchains fixed and we get a good idea about the quality of the latest release.
> ?>>?
> ?>> May be it will motivate Synopsis to release a new tarball, as other important ARC Bugfixes are included
> ?>> in this release.?
>
> ?> Well the problem is that in the mean time, we have autobuilder failures
> ?> caused by this. We are about to release -rc1, so we will try to reduce
> ?> the number of autobuilder failures, and this will get in the way. Which
> ?> is why we need to find a solution here.

> ?>??(1) Synopsys quickly publishes a new pre-built toolchain with uClibc
> ?>??????1.0.24 + wordexp

Unfortunately in the beginning of the current toolchain development cycle
we decided to stay on uClibc-ng 1.0.17 + backported ARC-related patches
due to different reasons and given we're now on rc2 stage there's no chance
to switch to any other version unfortunately. I hope next dev cycle we'll use just
latest upstream uClibc-ng release.

In other words (1) won't happen in coming days.

> ?>??(2) We disable the Synopsys toolchain from our autobuilders

We're talking only about __prebuilt__ ARC toolchain right?
Because Buildroot-built tools use latest uClibc-ng with correct config.

Ideally I'd prefer to update affected packages so they are disabled for
ARC prebuilt tools with some easily greppable comment like:
----------------->8-----------------
?xxx yyy zzz # arc_prebuilt lacks wordexp
----------------->8-----------------
that will help us to track missing parts we need to work on in the future.
Otherwise we may just disable autobuilder for ARC prebuilt tools because:

1) There's no such thing as prebuilt engineering builds i.e. autobuilder
? ?only will test either RCs or final releases of ARC prebuilt tools which
? ?IMHO makes not much sense as that's a bit too late, rgiht?

2) We know there're differences in ARC prebuilt tools from what gets built in
? ?Buildroot still having ARC prebuilt tools is a nice opportunity to
? ?simplify life for some people who prefers to not build toolchain
? ?themselves and for basic stuff it usually works quite fine.

-Alexey

* [Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Your build results for 2017-05-02
@ 2017-05-04 15:46               ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-05-04 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Thu, 4 May 2017 15:34:55 +0000, Alexey Brodkin wrote:

> Unfortunately in the beginning of the current toolchain development cycle
> we decided to stay on uClibc-ng 1.0.17 + backported ARC-related patches
> due to different reasons and given we're now on rc2 stage there's no chance
> to switch to any other version unfortunately. I hope next dev cycle we'll use just
> latest upstream uClibc-ng release.

OK. Can you make sure to enable wordexp as well?

> We're talking only about __prebuilt__ ARC toolchain right?
> Because Buildroot-built tools use latest uClibc-ng with correct config.

Wow, I just discovered that our autobuilders were not properly setup.
They are not supposed to test the Synopsys pre-built toolchain, but a
Buildroot pre-built toolchain. But they are testing the Synopsys
pre-built toolchain.

To clarify things, we have three toolchain possibilities:

 - The internal toolchain backend, Buildroot builds the entire
   toolchain from scratch for every build. This is what the base
   configuration
   http://autobuild.buildroot.net/toolchains/configs/br-arc-full-internal.config
   is doing.

 - The external toolchain backend that uses a custom toolchain, itself
   built by Buildroot. This one I have rebuilt recently with uClibc-ng
   1.0.24 and wordexp. It is the toolchain configuration supposed to be
   tested by
   http://autobuild.buildroot.net/toolchains/configs/br-arcle-hs38.config.
   Except that this file lacks BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CUSTOM=y, so
   instead of using the custom toolchain specified in this defconfig,
   it uses the Synopsys pre-built toolchain. Weird that Arnout's check
   that all lines of the base configuration are still present in the
   final configuration doesn't detect this.

 - The external toolchain backend that uses the Synopsys provided
   pre-built toolchain, through the toolchain-external-synopsys-arc
   package. This is *NOT* supposed to be tested by the autobuilders
   currently.

> Ideally I'd prefer to update affected packages so they are disabled for
> ARC prebuilt tools with some easily greppable comment like:
> ----------------->8-----------------
> ?xxx yyy zzz # arc_prebuilt lacks wordexp
> ----------------->8-----------------
> that will help us to track missing parts we need to work on in the future.
> Otherwise we may just disable autobuilder for ARC prebuilt tools because:
>
> 1) There's no such thing as prebuilt engineering builds i.e. autobuilder
> ? ?only will test either RCs or final releases of ARC prebuilt tools which
> ? ?IMHO makes not much sense as that's a bit too late, rgiht?
>
> 2) We know there're differences in ARC prebuilt tools from what gets built in
> ? ?Buildroot still having ARC prebuilt tools is a nice opportunity to
> ? ?simplify life for some people who prefers to not build toolchain
> ? ?themselves and for basic stuff it usually works quite fine.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you suggested here. In the light of
my explanation above, could you clarify what you mean by "ARC prebuilt
tools" ?

Thanks!

Thomas
--

@ 2017-05-04 15:57                 ` Alexey Brodkin
From: Alexey Brodkin @ 2017-05-04 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On Thu, 2017-05-04 at 17:46 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 4 May 2017 15:34:55 +0000, Alexey Brodkin wrote:
>

> > Unfortunately in the beginning of the current toolchain development cycle
> > we decided to stay on uClibc-ng 1.0.17 + backported ARC-related patches
> > due to different reasons and given we're now on rc2 stage there's no chance
> > to switch to any other version unfortunately. I hope next dev cycle we'll use just
> > latest upstream uClibc-ng release.
>
> OK. Can you make sure to enable wordexp as well?

I'll try to :)

> > We're talking only about __prebuilt__ ARC toolchain right?
> > Because Buildroot-built tools use latest uClibc-ng with correct config.
>
> Wow, I just discovered that our autobuilders were not properly setup.
> They are not supposed to test the Synopsys pre-built toolchain, but a
> Buildroot pre-built toolchain. But they are testing the Synopsys
> pre-built toolchain.

Yeah, I was really surprised ARC prebuilt tools are now tested
by BR autobuilder - I was sure it was disabled quite some time ago
but then I thought for some reason it got added back again :)

> To clarify things, we have three toolchain possibilities:
>
> ?- The internal toolchain backend, Buildroot builds the entire
> ???toolchain from scratch for every build. This is what the base
> ???configuration
> ???https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__autobuild.buildroot.net_toolchains_configs_br-2Darc-2Dfull-2Dinternal.config&d=DwIFaQ&c=DPL6_
> X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=lqdeeSSEes0GFDDl656eViXO7breS55ytWkhpk5R81I&m=lI2tCqR-PmGs3JqLc-
> Snnhmqzt6zHKZM_7hqymaPhQM&s=IcnEnd9QveBxXM9nhFjGxcVn_aw5IOBaVZ6TR9HLVog&e=?
> ???is doing.
>
> ?- The external toolchain backend that uses a custom toolchain, itself
> ???built by Buildroot. This one I have rebuilt recently with uClibc-ng
> ???1.0.24 and wordexp. It is the toolchain configuration supposed to be
> ???tested by
> ???https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__autobuild.buildroot.net_toolchains_configs_br-2Darcle-2Dhs38.config&d=DwIFaQ&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7
> AXWqB0tg&r=lqdeeSSEes0GFDDl656eViXO7breS55ytWkhpk5R81I&m=lI2tCqR-PmGs3JqLc-
> Snnhmqzt6zHKZM_7hqymaPhQM&s=vIRYBsKYcVzHuV5wdpe9R3huxW1q_X_Lz3MQXD1XEWo&e= .
> ???Except that this file lacks BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CUSTOM=y, so
> ???instead of using the custom toolchain specified in this defconfig,
> ???it uses the Synopsys pre-built toolchain. Weird that Arnout's check
> ???that all lines of the base configuration are still present in the
> ???final configuration doesn't detect this.
>
> ?- The external toolchain backend that uses the Synopsys provided
> ???pre-built toolchain, through the toolchain-external-synopsys-arc
> ???package. This is *NOT* supposed to be tested by the autobuilders
> ???currently.
>

> > Ideally I'd prefer to update affected packages so they are disabled for
> > ARC prebuilt tools with some easily greppable comment like:
> > ----------------->8-----------------??
> > ?xxx yyy zzz # arc_prebuilt lacks wordexp
> > ----------------->8-----------------??
> > that will help us to track missing parts we need to work on in the future.
> > Otherwise we may just disable autobuilder for ARC prebuilt tools because:
> >
> > 1) There's no such thing as prebuilt engineering builds i.e. autobuilder
> > ? ?only will test either RCs or final releases of ARC prebuilt tools which
> > ? ?IMHO makes not much sense as that's a bit too late, rgiht?
> >
> > 2) We know there're differences in ARC prebuilt tools from what gets built in
> > ? ?Buildroot still having ARC prebuilt tools is a nice opportunity to
> > ? ?simplify life for some people who prefers to not build toolchain
> > ? ?themselves and for basic stuff it usually works quite fine.
>
> Sorry, but I don't understand what you suggested here. In the light of
> my explanation above, could you clarify what you mean by "ARC prebuilt
> tools" ?

Scratch it then :)

If ARC prebuilt tools are not used by BR autobuilder there's no sense in
touching packages affected by these tools.

-Alexey

* [Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Your build results for 2017-05-02
@ 2017-05-04 19:04                   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-05-04 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Thu, 4 May 2017 15:57:03 +0000, Alexey Brodkin wrote:

> > Sorry, but I don't understand what you suggested here. In the light of
> > my explanation above, could you clarify what you mean by "ARC prebuilt
> > tools" ?
>
> Scratch it then :)
>
> If ARC prebuilt tools are not used by BR autobuilder there's no sense in
> touching packages affected by these tools.

I have fixed the br-arcle-hs38.config to really use the pre-built
toolchain generated by Buildroot:

  https://git.buildroot.org/buildroot-test/commit/?id=09977c172479658411c03138a7f07e68e63d47a5

So the Synopsys ARC toolchain will no longer be tested by our
autobuilders.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thomas
--

@ 2017-05-04 19:28                     ` Alexey Brodkin
From: Alexey Brodkin @ 2017-05-04 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On Thu, 2017-05-04 at 21:04 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 4 May 2017 15:57:03 +0000, Alexey Brodkin wrote:
>

> > > Sorry, but I don't understand what you suggested here. In the light of
> > > my explanation above, could you clarify what you mean by "ARC prebuilt
> > > tools" ???
> >
> > Scratch it then :)
> >
> > If ARC prebuilt tools are not used by BR autobuilder there's no sense in
> > touching packages affected by these tools.
>
> I have fixed the br-arcle-hs38.config to really use the pre-built
> toolchain generated by Buildroot:

Thanks for doing that!

> So the Synopsys ARC toolchain will no longer be tested by our
> autobuilders.

That's fine.

-Alexey