* Does recvfrom(2) imply { getattr }?
@ 2017-05-06 23:45 Ian Pilcher
From: Ian Pilcher @ 2017-05-06 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

I'm getting a non-fatal { getattr } denial on a UDP socket (talking to a
DNS server).  strace doesn't show any fstat calls on the socket, but it
does show that recvfrom is being called.

Does recvfrom want getattr permission in order to retrieve the message
source?  (The other potential system calls are poll and
ioctl(FIONREAD).)

Ian Pilcher                                         arequipeno@gmail.com
-------- "I grew up before Mark Zuckerberg invented friendship" --------

* Re: Does recvfrom(2) imply { getattr }?
@ 2017-05-08 13:53 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2017-05-08 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Pilcher, selinux

On Sat, 2017-05-06 at 18:45 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I'm getting a non-fatal { getattr } denial on a UDP socket (talking
> to a
> DNS server).  strace doesn't show any fstat calls on the socket, but
> it
> does show that recvfrom is being called.
>
> Does recvfrom want getattr permission in order to retrieve the
> message
> source?  (The other potential system calls are poll and
> ioctl(FIONREAD).)

ioctl(FIONREAD) triggers a getattr permission check because it can be
used to get the file size.