* Re: [SPDK] Any idea for SPDK to limit the data transfer speed
@ 2017-05-08 17:00 Walker, Benjamin
From: Walker, Benjamin @ 2017-05-08 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

On Sun, 2017-05-07 at 15:17 +0800, nixun_992(a)sina.com wrote:

>      For one nvme device, if i config SPDK with two partitions, is there any
> way to limit the transfer speed to a fix speed? I know the kernel has cgroup
> limit and buffered io limit, if i want to implement this in SPDK, is there a
> way to archive this?

As Changpeng said, we don't have any quality of service code in SPDK today
(patches welcome). However, we do have a vision for where that type of code
would go. We expect this type of thing to be implemented as a bdev module
(lib/bdev). Specifically, a virtual bdev that is layered on top of the other
physical bdevs. That way, the same code can be used for all of the different
types of backing storage. We have one example of how to write a virtual bdev
(lib/bdev/split) which is a simple splitter that you can use to get started.

Note that the community is currently doing some major refactoring on the bdev
layer in preparation for stabilizing and "finalizing" the API of this component.
The big changes coming do the following things:

1) Use the env wrapper instead of calling DPDK directly
2) Remove the dependency on the event framework (lib/event)
3) Full support for zero copy read and write, where possible*
4) Documentation!

*This is only possible with appropriate hardware support

Thanks,
Ben

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3274 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Any idea for SPDK to limit the data transfer speed
@ 2017-05-08  6:30 Liu, Changpeng
From: Liu, Changpeng @ 2017-05-08  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi Xun,

Very good question, but currently SPDK does not have such feature.

One crude implementation: you can modify function bdev_nvme_poll: spdk_nvme_qpair_process_completions(qpair, 0),
replace 0 with a different number such as 8. This means batch of I/O at a time instead of wrap around.

     For one nvme device, if i config SPDK with two partitions, is there any way to limit the transfer speed to a fix speed? I know the kernel has cgroup limit and buffered io limit, if i want to implement this in SPDK, is there a way to archive this?

Thanks,
Xun

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 41214 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Any idea for SPDK to limit the data transfer speed
@ 2017-05-08  3:28 nixun_992
From: nixun_992 @ 2017-05-08  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi, Paul:

    Thanks for the advice, currently i am only using SPDK NVMe module, the environment is SPDK + VHOST-USER app, as a server, the client is the qemu. Several qemu clients are using the same vhost server attached nvme disk partitions, of cause, each one use a different partition. I am trying to limit a special qemu process's IO speed. is there a way to do it in vhost-user backend?

Thanks,
Xun

Hi Xun,

I’m pretty new to SPDK so I’m sure some others will jump in but first I wanted to make sure you saw Ben’s email on IRC (attached). We’re trying to
 channel more discussions to IRC as opposed to email but you’re, of course, welcome to continue to use the dist list if that’s more convenient for you.

Given that SPDK apps are typically given a full core, is it the case that you are trying to implement a basic form of QoS? Also, are you just using
 the SPDK NVMe driver or are you using other modules as well? As much info as you can provide on your application and what problem you are trying to solve would be great!

Thanks!!
Paul

     For one nvme device, if i config SPDK with two partitions, is there any way to limit the transfer speed to a fix speed? I know the kernel has cgroup limit and buffered io limit, if i want to implement this in SPDK, is there a way to
 archive this?

Thanks,

Xun

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 3727 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Any idea for SPDK to limit the data transfer speed
@ 2017-05-07 16:49 Luse, Paul E

From: nixun_992 @ 2017-05-07  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk