* [Buildroot] genimage maintainers
@ 2017-05-30 10:04 hkengblom
From: hkengblom @ 2017-05-30 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

This post may not be related to Buildroot but rather to genimage, but I've
not been able to find any maintainer for genimage, so I'm posting here since
I found an issue with genimage when using Buildroot.

My problem is that there seem to be a bug in genimage making it impossible
to have a mountpoint specified like this:

image dummy.ext4 {
  ext4 {}
  mountpoint = "/mnt/subdirectory"
  size = 128M
}

however this works fine:

image dummy.ext4 {
  ext4 {}
  mountpoint = "/mnt"
  size = 128M
}

When looking at the code it looks like genimage cannot handle mountpoints
that is not a directory directly under /

I've made a patch for it, but I don't know where to send it, or make a
pull-request. Further, I'm not that familiar with genimage, so it would be
good if someone with more insight in genimage could take a look at it.

Can anyone point me to someone that might be the "receiver" of such a patch?

br H?kan

* [Buildroot] genimage maintainers
@ 2017-05-30 11:52   ` Håkan Engblom
From: Håkan Engblom @ 2017-05-30 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Yes you're right, that seems to be the place for this issue. Sorry for
cluttering the Buildroot mailing list with this issue.
(I did look at github, but I only found an outdated repo with genimage that
was not updated since before latest release. Evidently I did not search
enough)

br H?kan

* [Buildroot] genimage maintainers
@ 2017-05-30 11:58 ` Martin Kepplinger
From: Martin Kepplinger @ 2017-05-30 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 2017-05-30 12:04, hkengblom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This post may not be related to Buildroot but rather to genimage, but I've
> not been able to find any maintainer for genimage, so I'm posting here since
> I found an issue with genimage when using Buildroot.
>
> My problem is that there seem to be a bug in genimage making it impossible
> to have a mountpoint specified like this:
>
> image dummy.ext4 {
>   ext4 {}
>   mountpoint = "/mnt/subdirectory"
>   size = 128M
> }
>
> however this works fine:
>
> image dummy.ext4 {
>   ext4 {}
>   mountpoint = "/mnt"
>   size = 128M
> }
>
> When looking at the code it looks like genimage cannot handle mountpoints
> that is not a directory directly under /
>
> I've made a patch for it, but I don't know where to send it, or make a
> pull-request. Further, I'm not that familiar with genimage, so it would be
> good if someone with more insight in genimage could take a look at it.
>
> Can anyone point me to someone that might be the "receiver" of such a patch?
>
> br H?kan

haven't you tried to just look for it? It seems like it's developed on
github, and an issue with the problem you describe is already open there:
https://github.com/vivien/genimage/issues/2

I guess that would be the place this should go. Tell them it's a simple
and important issue to you, make a pull request and they will help you.

                        martin

________________________________

Ginzinger electronic systems GmbH
Gewerbegebiet Pirath 16
4952 Weng im Innkreis
www.ginzinger.com

Firmenbuchnummer: FN 364958d
Firmenbuchgericht: Ried im Innkreis
UID-Nr.: ATU66521089

* [Buildroot] genimage maintainers
@ 2017-05-30 12:08   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-05-30 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Tue, 30 May 2017 13:58:01 +0200, Martin Kepplinger wrote:

> haven't you tried to just look for it? It seems like it's developed on
> github, and an issue with the problem you describe is already open there:
> https://github.com/vivien/genimage/issues/2

Actually the real upstream is
https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/genimage/log/.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] genimage maintainers
@ 2017-05-30 12:32 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2017-05-30 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

 > I've made a patch for it, but I don't know where to send it, or make
 > a pull-request. Further, I'm not that familiar with genimage, so it
 > would be good if someone with more insight in genimage could take a
 > look at it.

 > Can anyone point me to someone that might be the "receiver" of such a
 > patch?

Sorry, I have never used this mountpoint option (and it isn't directly
clear to me what it does), but the upstream git repo for genimage is at:

git://git.pengutronix.de/git/genimage.git

And looking at the git history, the most active developers looks to be:

git shortlog -sne | head -n 3
    84  Michael Olbrich <m.olbrich@pengutronix.de>
    15  Juergen Beisert <jbe@pengutronix.de>
    15  Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>

So perhaps mailing them is the best way forward.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] genimage maintainers
@ 2017-05-30 14:05   ` Håkan Engblom
From: Håkan Engblom @ 2017-05-30 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Peter Korsgaard-2 wrote
> git://git.pengutronix.de/git/genimage.git
>
> And looking at the git history, the most active developers looks to be:
>
> git shortlog -sne | head -n 3
>     84  Michael Olbrich &lt;

> m.olbrich@

> &gt;
>     15  Juergen Beisert &lt;

> jbe@

> &gt;
>     15  Sascha Hauer &lt;

> s.hauer@

> &gt;
>
> So perhaps mailing them is the best way forward.

Thanks, I'll try that

br H?kan