* [Buildroot] 2017.08-rc1 approaching
@ 2017-08-01 21:30 Thomas Petazzoni
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-08-01 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

We're now August 1st, so it's about time to cut 2017.08-rc1.

I've updated the CHANGES file already, and it would be nice if people
could review it, and see if there is any missing information or mistake.

I'm still planning on merging, either today or tomorrow, the skeleton
patch series from Yann, which Arnout is adjusting, as he had made a
number of comments on it. And once this is done, cut -rc1 hopefully
tomorrow evening.

If there is anything that you believe is really important to have in
2017.08 and that is already pending in patchwork, let me know. After
we cut 2017.08-rc1, new features will continue to be merged in the
"next" branch and will be part of the 2017.11 release, and only bug
fixes will be accepted for 2017.08.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] 2017.08-rc1 approaching
@ 2017-08-01 22:19 ` nimaim at gmail.com
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: nimaim at gmail.com @ 2017-08-01 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

Just a request but I think it's important to finally get Qt 5.9.1 into this
release, as it is probably the most popular cross-platform GUI framework
today. It is the new LTS version and fixes a lot of the issues from older
versions, even adding more embedded controls (Quick Controls 2). I am hoping
someone can fix  this
<http://buildroot-busybox.2317881.n4.nabble.com/Qt-5-9-1-QML-arm-crash-QTBUG-61522-td172524.html>
problem and push it up, and that you guys can commit it before releasing
this RC. Unfortunately, I lack the knowledge and time to fix all the bugs
currently present building this version but would be grateful if someone can
look into it so we don't have to wait another 3 months to get a stable
release with it in there. Thanks!

* [Buildroot] 2017.08-rc1 approaching
@ 2017-08-01 22:25   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-08-01 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 15:19:36 -0700 (PDT), nimaim at gmail.com wrote:

> Just a request but I think it's important to finally get Qt 5.9.1 into this
> release, as it is probably the most popular cross-platform GUI framework
> today. It is the new LTS version and fixes a lot of the issues from older
> versions, even adding more embedded controls (Quick Controls 2). I am hoping
> someone can fix  this
> <http://buildroot-busybox.2317881.n4.nabble.com/Qt-5-9-1-QML-arm-crash-QTBUG-61522-td172524.html>
> problem and push it up, and that you guys can commit it before releasing
> this RC. Unfortunately, I lack the knowledge and time to fix all the bugs
> currently present building this version but would be grateful if someone can
> look into it so we don't have to wait another 3 months to get a stable
> release with it in there. Thanks!

Well, Qt 5.9.1 is in Buildroot since 2 weeks already, and the fix for
the QML crash has been merged yesterday. So both of them will be in
2017.08-rc1, and the final 2017.08.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2017-08-01 22:26     ` nimaim
From: nimaim @ 2017-08-01 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Great news, thanks a lot. Sorry about that, I must have missed the commits
for those.

* [Buildroot] 2017.08-rc1 approaching
@ 2017-08-02  5:31 ` Bernd Kuhls
From: Bernd Kuhls @ 2017-08-02  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Am Tue, 01 Aug 2017 23:30:55 +0200 schrieb Thomas Petazzoni:

> If there is anything that you believe is really important to have in
> 2017.08 and that is already pending in patchwork, let me know.

Hi Thomas,

I would like to have the "kodi: Add support for more archs"[1] patch in
2017.08, it allows to use kodi, among others, on aarch64.
In May we already had a user asking for this on our mailinglist:
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2017-May/191352.html

This patch is part of a 3-patch series which includes a fix for the
broken sunxi mali support. I agree with your proposal to change the egl
checks to a positive list "depends on PLATFORM_A || PLATFORM_B ||
PLATFORM_C" but this takes more time to test than I currently have.

Therefore I removed the sunxi stuff from the patch series to keep only
the fix for the supported archs. This patch is currently tested by test-
pkg with all 47 toolchains. I expect to have the result this evening and
would sent v4 of the patch in the hope it will get into 2017.08 ;)

Regards, Bernd

[1] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/788923/

* [Buildroot] 2017.08-rc1 approaching
@ 2017-08-02  6:08 ` daggs
> We're now August 1st, so it's about time to cut 2017.08-rc1.
>
> I've updated the CHANGES file already, and it would be nice if people
> could review it, and see if there is any missing information or mistake.
>
> I'm still planning on merging, either today or tomorrow, the skeleton
> patch series from Yann, which Arnout is adjusting, as he had made a
> number of comments on it. And once this is done, cut -rc1 hopefully
> tomorrow evening.
>
> If there is anything that you believe is really important to have in
> 2017.08 and that is already pending in patchwork, let me know. After
> we cut 2017.08-rc1, new features will continue to be merged in the
> "next" branch and will be part of the 2017.11 release, and only bug
> fixes will be accepted for 2017.08.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas

my I inquire what will be the status of the odroidc2 in this release?
it still depends on gcc 4.9.x, I'm working on a latest uboot support which will remove this limitation but I wasn't able to get it to work yet.
in addition I lost the ability to test it as the board was dedicated to other urgent matter, I'm planning to order a new one now but it will take time arrive.

I'd hate seeing the board removed from buildroot.

Dagg.

* [Buildroot] 2017.08-rc1 approaching
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-08-02 10:09 ` Marcus Hoffmann
From: Marcus Hoffmann @ 2017-08-02 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On 01.08.2017 23:30, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're now August 1st, so it's about time to cut 2017.08-rc1.
>
> I've updated the CHANGES file already, and it would be nice if people
> could review it, and see if there is any missing information or mistake.
>
> I'm still planning on merging, either today or tomorrow, the skeleton
> patch series from Yann, which Arnout is adjusting, as he had made a
> number of comments on it. And once this is done, cut -rc1 hopefully
> tomorrow evening.
>
> If there is anything that you believe is really important to have in
> 2017.08 and that is already pending in patchwork, let me know. After
> we cut 2017.08-rc1, new features will continue to be merged in the
> "next" branch and will be part of the 2017.11 release, and only bug
> fixes will be accepted for 2017.08.

Can we get the systemd bump to 234 in?

@ 2017-08-02 16:35   ` Bernd Kuhls
From: Bernd Kuhls @ 2017-08-02 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

Am Wed, 02 Aug 2017 07:31:13 +0200 schrieb Bernd Kuhls:

> This patch is currently tested by test-pkg with all 47 toolchains.
> I expect to have the result this evening and would sent v4 of the
> patch in the hope it will get into 2017.08 ;)

done: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/796693/

And while you are at it please take a look at this patch as well which
was tested by Yann: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/756785/

I just checked that it still applies to git HEAD.

Regards, Bernd

* [Buildroot] 2017.08-rc1 approaching
@ 2017-08-02 20:51     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-08-02 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 18:35:05 +0200, Bernd Kuhls wrote:

> Am Wed, 02 Aug 2017 07:31:13 +0200 schrieb Bernd Kuhls:
>
> > This patch is currently tested by test-pkg with all 47 toolchains.
> > I expect to have the result this evening and would sent v4 of the
> > patch in the hope it will get into 2017.08 ;)
>
> done: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/796693/

I've applied this one.

> And while you are at it please take a look at this patch as well which
> was tested by Yann: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/756785/

This one looks less important, and it's time to cut -rc1, so this one
will be for the next release;

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2017-08-02 20:53   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-08-02 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 08:08:54 +0200, daggs wrote:

> my I inquire what will be the status of the odroidc2 in this release?

The defconfig is still there, in configs/odroidc2_defconfig. And it
currently builds fine:
https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/25168668.

> it still depends on gcc 4.9.x, I'm working on a latest uboot support which will remove this limitation but I wasn't able to get it to work yet.
> in addition I lost the ability to test it as the board was dedicated to other urgent matter, I'm planning to order a new one now but it will take time arrive.

For now, we're keeping gcc 4.9 support around, so no problem for the
2017.08 release.

Best regards,

Thomas

From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-08-02 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 12:09:49 +0200, Marcus Hoffmann wrote:

> > If there is anything that you believe is really important to have in
> > 2017.08 and that is already pending in patchwork, let me know. After
> > we cut 2017.08-rc1, new features will continue to be merged in the
> > "next" branch and will be part of the 2017.11 release, and only bug
> > fixes will be accepted for 2017.08.
>
> Can we get the systemd bump to 234 in?

I've applied. Thanks!

Thomas