* Release manager deputy for Xen 4.9 rc3
@ 2017-04-25 13:04 Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-04-25 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Ian Jackson, committers, lars.kurth

Hi all,

I will be away from tomorrow (26th April) until the 1rst of May. Ian
Jackson volunteered to handle the release management for Xen 4.9 rc3
(expected on Friday 28th April).

When sending a patch for Xen 4.9, please CC relevant maintainers, him
(ian.jackson@eu.citrix.com) and me (julien.grall@arm.com).

Julien Grall

* Xenstore Standalone application
@ 2017-07-25 11:50 ` Waseem, Amna
From: Waseem, Amna @ 2017-07-25 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, xen-devel

Hello All,

Can I run xenstored daemon on a machine without xen hypervisor being run. Just native Kernel Linux is running and I want to communicate to it using some customized application I made following the approach used in Dom0 and Dom0 using Xenbus .

Regards
Amna

* Re: Xenstore Standalone application
@ 2017-07-25 13:28   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2017-07-25 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waseem, Amna; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, Wei Liu

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:50:22AM +0000, Waseem, Amna wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Can I run xenstored daemon on a machine without xen hypervisor being
> run. Just native Kernel Linux is running and I want to communicate to
> it using some customized application I made following the approach
> used in Dom0 and Dom0 using Xenbus .

In theory you can. But you need to change the code yourself. I believe
current code requires a few Xen devices to be present.

* Xenstore filling information about Dom0
@ 2017-08-02 10:12   ` Waseem, Amna
From: Waseem, Amna @ 2017-08-02 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, xen-devel

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me how xenstore filesystem gets populated about information about Dom0. Which function or script creates node for local domain?

I want to statically configure the xenstore about guest parameters. I want to statically create nodes before bringing up xenstored daemon.

Regards
Amna

* Re: Xenstore filling information about Dom0
@ 2017-08-02 10:21     ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-08-02 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waseem, Amna, Julien Grall, xen-devel

On 02/08/17 12:12, Waseem, Amna wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Can anyone tell me how xenstore filesystem gets populated about information about Dom0.

see tools/helpers/xen-init-dom0.c

> Which function or script creates node for local domain?

see tools/libxl/ (various source files)

> I want to statically configure the xenstore about guest parameters.

I guess you want to create xenstore nodes for all guests? You could use
a Xenstore watch for "@introduceDomain" to be called whenever a new
guest is added to Xenstore.

> I want to statically create nodes before bringing up xenstored daemon.

How should that work? Without xenstored daemon there is no Xenstore.
You can, however, create nodes at xenstored startup. See function
setup_structure() in tools/xenstore/xenstored_core.c

Juergen

* Re: Xenstore filling information about Dom0
@ 2017-08-03  7:59       ` Waseem, Amna
From: Waseem, Amna @ 2017-08-03  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross, Julien Grall, xen-devel

Thanks a lot.

I assume I will use manual_node to add nodes before starting xenstore daemon completely.

If I understand, manual_node just adds nodes and children. It doesnot add values.

Is there any way to add value of nodes as well?

Thanks
Amna

@ 2017-08-03  9:23         ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-08-03  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waseem, Amna, Julien Grall, xen-devel

On 03/08/17 09:59, Waseem, Amna wrote:
> Thanks a lot.
>
> I assume I will use manual_node to add nodes before starting xenstore daemon completely.
>
> If I understand, manual_node just adds nodes and children. It doesnot add values.

Be careful here: manual_node() right now even can add only one child per
node.

> Is there any way to add value of nodes as well?

You would have to add setting node->data and node->datalen to
manual_node() (or an appropriate new function).

Juergen

* Re: Xenstore filling information about Dom0
@ 2017-08-03  9:54           ` Waseem, Amna
From: Waseem, Amna @ 2017-08-03  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross, Julien Grall, xen-devel

Thanks a lot for information.
Is there any other function to add more than one child per node besides manual node before starting xendameon ?

Thanks
Amna

@ 2017-08-03 10:07             ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-08-03 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waseem, Amna, Julien Grall, xen-devel

On 03/08/17 11:54, Waseem, Amna wrote:
> Thanks a lot for information.
> Is there any other function to add more than one child per node besides manual node before starting xendameon ?

Maybe you should look around yourself a little bit?

It is okay to ask for some hints where to look for some functionality,
but please don't expect anyone to just do the work for you. Yes, it is
sometimes hard to find the information you are searching for, but that's
the way we all learned about the internals of Xen.

Juergen

@ 2017-08-03 10:08               ` Waseem, Amna
From: Waseem, Amna @ 2017-08-03 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross, Julien Grall, xen-devel

Yes I am looking myself too.
Thanks
Amna
______________________________________
> Is there any other function to add more than one child per node besides manual node before starting xendameon ?

Maybe you should look around yourself a little bit?

It is okay to ask for some hints where to look for some functionality,
but please don't expect anyone to just do the work for you. Yes, it is
sometimes hard to find the information you are searching for, but that's
the way we all learned about the internals of Xen.

Juergen

> Thanks
> Amna

* Xen Grant table frames for granting access permissions
@ 2017-08-10 13:47     ` Waseem, Amna
From: Waseem, Amna @ 2017-08-10 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel, xen-devel

Hello All,

I am struggling with fixing the allocation of pages to some known physical pages used for mapping and granting access between guests.

I want to fix the allocation of pages i.e. their frame numbers to be be mapped to fixed physical pages. I only want to do this for pages shared between guests for mapping,c opying and transferring data.

Is there any way in linux to change mapping of already allocated pages to some fixed physical pages?
I want to change the mapping of pages allocated in kernel used by xen frontend and backend drivers to some fixed phsical address range.

I have looked into mremap functionality but it is used by user space applications, not by kernel drivers. ioremap maps a physcial address to a kernel virtual address space. But I want already allocated virtual address of page to a fixed physical page. I want to update its page table entry to point to fixed physical page.

Thanks
Amna