* Merge status of IB/IPoIB: Add multi-queue TSS and RSS support
@ 2018-01-29 11:37 Benjamin Drung
       [not found] ` <1517225860.4291.2.camel-EIkl63zCoXaH+58JC4qpiA@public.gmane.org>
From: Benjamin Drung @ 2018-01-29 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hello,

can someone tell me why MQ TSS/RSS is present in MLNX OFED, but not in
mainlined yet? I've found some nearly four years old patch sets
regarding that topic, but no real reason for not merging them:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg14940.html

I'd like to push this forward in order to align features of mainline
with MLNX OFED.

--
Benjamin Drung
System Developer

ProfitBricks GmbH
Greifswalder Str. 207
D - 10405 Berlin

Email: benjamin.drung-EIkl63zCoXaH+58JC4qpiA@public.gmane.org

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 125506 B
Geschäftsführer: Achim Weiss, Matthias Steinberg

* Re: Merge status of IB/IPoIB: Add multi-queue TSS and RSS support
       [not found] ` <1517225860.4291.2.camel-EIkl63zCoXaH+58JC4qpiA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-01-29 18:10   ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]     ` <20180129181028.GD23714-uk2M96/98Pc@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2018-01-29 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Drung; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:37:40PM +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can someone tell me why MQ TSS/RSS is present in MLNX OFED, but not in
> mainlined yet? I've found some nearly four years old patch sets
> regarding that topic, but no real reason for not merging them:
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg14940.html
>
> I'd like to push this forward in order to align features of mainline
> with MLNX OFED.

Kernel features like this have been superseded by rdma_netdev for
ipoib - eg mlx5 implements all offloads through this API.

RSS was merged to userspace with a different API, see
 ibv_create_rwq_ind_table.3
 ibv_create_wq.3
 ibv_modify_wq.3

And TSS was merged to userspace with a different API, see
IBV_QP_CREATE_SOURCE_QPN.

Jason

@ 2018-01-30 11:47       ` Jack Wang
       [not found]         ` <CAD+HZHW2RA7r+JFSFHzntPGFzcoRgy5nwtO+tf5XGCJmdC_5qg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Jack Wang @ 2018-01-30 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: Benjamin Drung, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hello Jason,

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:37:40PM +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> can someone tell me why MQ TSS/RSS is present in MLNX OFED, but not in
>> mainlined yet? I've found some nearly four years old patch sets
>> regarding that topic, but no real reason for not merging them:
>> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg14940.html
>>
>> I'd like to push this forward in order to align features of mainline
>> with MLNX OFED.
>
> Kernel features like this have been superseded by rdma_netdev for
> ipoib - eg mlx5 implements all offloads through this API.
>
> RSS was merged to userspace with a different API, see
>  ibv_create_rwq_ind_table.3
>  ibv_create_wq.3
>  ibv_modify_wq.3
>
> And TSS was merged to userspace with a different API, see
> IBV_QP_CREATE_SOURCE_QPN.

Thanks for reply.

To be more specific, our kernel module depends on the TSS/TSS QP
groups, which is in the patch below:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg14935.html

It's no really about IPOIB and user space.

Does upstream support or plan to have that feature?
Do you have any suggestion if we want to switch to upstream OFED?

Thanks,

Jack Wang

@ 2018-01-30 15:00           ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2018-01-30 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Wang; +Cc: Benjamin Drung, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:47:02PM +0100, Jack Wang wrote:
> Hello Jason,

> > On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:37:40PM +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> can someone tell me why MQ TSS/RSS is present in MLNX OFED, but not in
> >> mainlined yet? I've found some nearly four years old patch sets
> >> regarding that topic, but no real reason for not merging them:
> >> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg14940.html
> >>
> >> I'd like to push this forward in order to align features of mainline
> >> with MLNX OFED.
> >
> > Kernel features like this have been superseded by rdma_netdev for
> > ipoib - eg mlx5 implements all offloads through this API.
> >
> > RSS was merged to userspace with a different API, see
> >  ibv_create_rwq_ind_table.3
> >  ibv_create_wq.3
> >  ibv_modify_wq.3
> >
> > And TSS was merged to userspace with a different API, see
> > IBV_QP_CREATE_SOURCE_QPN.
>
> Thanks for reply.
>
> To be more specific, our kernel module depends on the TSS/TSS QP
> groups, which is in the patch below:
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg14935.html
>
> It's no really about IPOIB and user space.
>
> Does upstream support or plan to have that feature?
> Do you have any suggestion if we want to switch to upstream OFED?

You might have to make some patches, but IBV_QP_CREATE_SOURCE_QPN
should work in the kernel too..

Jason