* IMA/EVM writing xattrs during remount filesystem
@ 2018-02-26 14:23 Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2018-02-26 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-integrity, linux-fsdevel; +Cc: Mimi Zohar, kernel

Hi All,

When a filesystem is remounted from rw to ro then
sb_prepare_remount_readonly() is called. After this call there shouldn't
be any writers left on the filesystem. However, IMA/EVM is not aware of
this as it never calls mnt_want_write[_file](), but only looks add the
MS_RDONLY superblock flag before writing to its xattrs. This flag is
only changed after sb->s_op->remount_fs() is called. As a consequence
IMA/EVM still updates xattrs while the filesystem is going to readonly
mode.

We observed that on a 4.0 Kernel in conjunction with UBIFS, but the
relevant code in IMA/EVM still looks the same so I assume it's present
in the current kernel aswell.

UBIFS calculates its free space before and after the remount_fs op and
if there's a difference it prints a backtrace (dbg_check_space_info:
free space changed from x to y). We see this backtrace sometimes when
remounting the fs readonly. If I understand the situation correctly this
is not UBIFS's fault, right? Any hint what we can do about it?

Sascha

* Re: IMA/EVM writing xattrs during remount filesystem
@ 2018-02-26 15:12   ` Mimi Zohar
From: Mimi Zohar @ 2018-02-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer, linux-integrity, linux-fsdevel; +Cc: kernel

Hi Sascha,

On Mon, 2018-02-26 at 15:23 +0100, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When a filesystem is remounted from rw to ro then
> sb_prepare_remount_readonly() is called. After this call there shouldn't
> be any writers left on the filesystem. However, IMA/EVM is not aware of
> this as it never calls mnt_want_write[_file](), but only looks add the
> MS_RDONLY superblock flag before writing to its xattrs. This flag is
> only changed after sb->s_op->remount_fs() is called. As a consequence
> IMA/EVM still updates xattrs while the filesystem is going to readonly
> mode.
>
> We observed that on a 4.0 Kernel in conjunction with UBIFS, but the
> relevant code in IMA/EVM still looks the same so I assume it's present
> in the current kernel aswell.
>
> UBIFS calculates its free space before and after the remount_fs op and
> if there's a difference it prints a backtrace (dbg_check_space_info:
> free space changed from x to y). We see this backtrace sometimes when
> remounting the fs readonly. If I understand the situation correctly this
> is not UBIFS's fault, right? Any hint what we can do about it?

Not updating the file hashes could result in verification errors.  I
would classify updating the xattrs as working as designed.  Wouldn't
you?

Perhaps the files changing should not be included in the IMA-appraisal
policy?

Mimi

From: Mimi Zohar @ 2018-02-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer, linux-integrity, linux-fsdevel; +Cc: kernel

@ 2018-02-26 15:38     ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2018-02-26 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mimi Zohar; +Cc: linux-integrity, linux-fsdevel, kernel

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 10:12:05AM -0500, Mimi Zohar wrote:
> Hi Sascha,
>
> On Mon, 2018-02-26 at 15:23 +0100, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > When a filesystem is remounted from rw to ro then
> > sb_prepare_remount_readonly() is called. After this call there shouldn't
> > be any writers left on the filesystem. However, IMA/EVM is not aware of
> > this as it never calls mnt_want_write[_file](), but only looks add the
> > MS_RDONLY superblock flag before writing to its xattrs. This flag is
> > only changed after sb->s_op->remount_fs() is called. As a consequence
> > IMA/EVM still updates xattrs while the filesystem is going to readonly
> > mode.
> >
> > We observed that on a 4.0 Kernel in conjunction with UBIFS, but the
> > relevant code in IMA/EVM still looks the same so I assume it's present
> > in the current kernel aswell.
> >
> > UBIFS calculates its free space before and after the remount_fs op and
> > if there's a difference it prints a backtrace (dbg_check_space_info:
> > free space changed from x to y). We see this backtrace sometimes when
> > remounting the fs readonly. If I understand the situation correctly this
> > is not UBIFS's fault, right? Any hint what we can do about it?
>
> Not updating the file hashes could result in verification errors. ï¿œI
> would classify updating the xattrs as working as designed. ï¿œWouldn't
> you?

If IMA updates the hash for a file that actually gets written then the
file is opened for writing. Trying remount the filesystem readonly in
this situation will return -EBUSY. Everything fine here, but look at
evm_verify_hmac(). Here a file is not necessarily opened for writing,
but if the file is signed the code replaces the signature with a HMAC by
calling evm_update_evmxattr(). This function updates the xattr even when
the VFS is in the process of remounting the filesystem readonly.

More specifically look at do_remount_sb():

>	/* If we are remounting RDONLY and current sb is read/write,
>	   make sure there are no rw files opened */
>	if (remount_ro) {
>		if (force) {
>			sb->s_readonly_remount = 1;
>			smp_wmb();
>		} else {
>			retval = sb_prepare_remount_readonly(sb);
>			if (retval)
>				return retval;
>		}
>	}

When sb_prepare_remount_readonly() succeeds there are no writers left.

>	if (sb->s_op->remount_fs) {
>		retval = sb->s_op->remount_fs(sb, &sb_flags, data);
>		if (retval) {
>			if (!force)
>				goto cancel_readonly;
>			/* If forced remount, go ahead despite any errors */
>			WARN(1, "forced remount of a %s fs returned %i\n",
>			     sb->s_type->name, retval);
>		}
>	}

remount_fs assumes VFS has stopped writing. At least UBIFS expects this,
maybe it's wrong:

/**
 * ubifs_remount_ro - re-mount in read-only mode.
 * @c: UBIFS file-system description object
 *
 * We assume VFS has stopped writing. Possibly the background thread could be
 * running a commit, however kthread_stop will wait in that case.
 */

>	sb->s_flags = (sb->s_flags & ~MS_RMT_MASK) | (sb_flags & MS_RMT_MASK);

Here, *after* remount_fs has returned the MS_RDONLY sb flag is set which
EVM tests for before calling evm_update_evmxattr() and the race window
closes.

From: Sascha Hauer @ 2018-02-26 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mimi Zohar; +Cc: linux-integrity, linux-fsdevel, kernel

@ 2018-02-26 16:03       ` Mimi Zohar
From: Mimi Zohar @ 2018-02-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: linux-integrity, linux-fsdevel, kernel

On Mon, 2018-02-26 at 16:38 +0100, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> [...]
> >			WARN(1, "forced remount of a %s fs returned %i\n",
> >			     sb->s_type->name, retval);
> >		}
> >	}
>
> remount_fs assumes VFS has stopped writing. At least UBIFS expects this,
> maybe it's wrong:
>
> /**
>  * ubifs_remount_ro - re-mount in read-only mode.
>  * @c: UBIFS file-system description object
>  *
>  * We assume VFS has stopped writing. Possibly the background thread could be
>  * running a commit, however kthread_stop will wait in that case.
>  */
>
> >	sb->s_flags = (sb->s_flags & ~MS_RMT_MASK) | (sb_flags & MS_RMT_MASK);
>
> Here, *after* remount_fs has returned the MS_RDONLY sb flag is set which
> EVM tests for before calling evm_update_evmxattr() and the race window

So the cause of the problem is not IMA, per se, but EVM converting the
EVM signature to an HMAC.  There's no harm in not re-writing the xattr
signature as an HMAC.  Feel free to add the additional
"s_readonly_remount" test.

During this open window, we upstreamed support for EVM portable and
immutable file signatures.  Please make sure you base the change on
the linux-integrity #next-integrity branch.

thanks,

Mimi

From: Mimi Zohar @ 2018-02-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: linux-integrity, linux-fsdevel, kernel

@ 2018-02-27  7:27         ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2018-02-27  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mimi Zohar; +Cc: linux-integrity, linux-fsdevel, kernel

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 11:03:18AM -0500, Mimi Zohar wrote:
> >  * ubifs_remount_ro - re-mount in read-only mode.
> >  * @c: UBIFS file-system description object
> >  *
> >  * We assume VFS has stopped writing. Possibly the background thread could be
> >  * running a commit, however kthread_stop will wait in that case.
> >  */
> >
> > >	sb->s_flags = (sb->s_flags & ~MS_RMT_MASK) | (sb_flags & MS_RMT_MASK);
> >
> > Here, *after* remount_fs has returned the MS_RDONLY sb flag is set which
> > EVM tests for before calling evm_update_evmxattr() and the race window
> > closes.
>
> So the cause of the problem is not IMA, per se, but EVM converting the
> EVM signature to an HMAC. ï¿œThere's no harm in not re-writing the xattr
> signature as an HMAC. ï¿œFeel free to add the additional
> "s_readonly_remount" test.

Ok, that should work. I'll give it some testing here before I send a
patch.

> During this open window, we upstreamed support for EVM portable and
> immutable file signatures. ï¿œPlease make sure you base the change on
> the linux-integrity #next-integrity branch.

sure, thanks

From: Sascha Hauer @ 2018-02-27  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mimi Zohar; +Cc: linux-integrity, linux-fsdevel, kernel