* Re: [SPDK] Nvmf target namespace specification
@ 2018-05-04 18:09 Walker, Benjamin
From: Walker, Benjamin @ 2018-05-04 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

On Fri, 2018-05-04 at 17:56 +0000, Andrey Kuzmin wrote:
> Thanks for the quick turnaround, Daniel.
>
> On Fri, May 4, 2018, 20:48 Verkamp, Daniel <daniel.verkamp(a)intel.com> wrote:
> > Hi Andrey,
> >
> > Do you mean on the host (initiator) side, bdev/nvme?  When you are
> > connecting to a NVMe-oF target with the NVMe bdev (either via the [Nvme]
> > configuration file section or the construct_nvme_bdev RPC method), you are
> > specifying the address to a subsystem, and all namespaces in that subsystem
> > will be exposed as bdevs.  There is currently no way to specify just a
> > single namespace within the subsystem, but we could probably add this if
> > there is a reasonable use case that requires it.
>
> I don't think it as strong as required, but the case that has triggered my
> question above was trying to run bdevperf with its target device specification
> against a specific namespace at thee nvmf target.
>
> As is (with effectively just the controller specified), it actually runs
> prerry well, but I assume it does so against all namespaces the target exports
> via the specified subsystem.

When you connect to a controller with the NVMe-oF host, it will create a
separate bdev for each namespace automatically. If you do something like this:

[Nvme]
  TransportID "trtype:RDMA <stuff>" Nvme0

Then it will create one bdev per namespace with the names Nvme0n1, Nvme0n2, etc.

However, when you go to run bdevperf, there isn't actually a way to say to just
run against one of those namespaces. That's probably a reasonable addition to
the tool.

(Also, we should consider promoting the tool from a test tool in test/bdev to an
example in examples/bdev.)

@ 2018-05-04 19:05 Andrey Kuzmin
From: Andrey Kuzmin @ 2018-05-04 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

On Fri, May 4, 2018, 21:09 Walker, Benjamin <benjamin.walker(a)intel.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2018-05-04 at 17:56 +0000, Andrey Kuzmin wrote:
> > Thanks for the quick turnaround, Daniel.
> >
> > On Fri, May 4, 2018, 20:48 Verkamp, Daniel <daniel.verkamp(a)intel.com>
> wrote:
> > > Hi Andrey,
> > >
> > > Do you mean on the host (initiator) side, bdev/nvme?  When you are
> > > connecting to a NVMe-oF target with the NVMe bdev (either via the
> [Nvme]
> > > configuration file section or the construct_nvme_bdev RPC method), you
> are
> > > specifying the address to a subsystem, and all namespaces in that
> subsystem
> > > will be exposed as bdevs.  There is currently no way to specify just a
> > > single namespace within the subsystem, but we could probably add this
> if
> > > there is a reasonable use case that requires it.
> >
> > I don't think it as strong as required, but the case that has triggered
> my
> > question above was trying to run bdevperf with its target device
> specification
> > against a specific namespace at thee nvmf target.
> >
> > As is (with effectively just the controller specified), it actually runs
> > prerry well, but I assume it does so against all namespaces the target
> exports
> > via the specified subsystem.
>
> When you connect to a controller with the NVMe-oF host, it will create a
> separate bdev for each namespace automatically. If you do something like
> this:
>
> [Nvme]
>   TransportID "trtype:RDMA <stuff>" Nvme0
>
> Then it will create one bdev per namespace with the names Nvme0n1,
> Nvme0n2, etc.
>
> However, when you go to run bdevperf, there isn't actually a way to say to
> just
> run against one of those namespaces.

Exactly.

That's probably a reasonable addition to
> the tool.
>
> (Also, we should consider promoting the tool from a test tool in test/bdev
> to an
> example in examples/bdev.)

I have indeed found it pretty useful for testng bdevs.

Regards,
Andrey

> > Regards,
> > Andrey
> > > If you are talking about the target side, you can configure namespaces
> > > have a particular ID using the optional second parameter to the
> Namespace
> > > line in the [SubsystemN] config sections, or via the optional
> namespace.nsid
> > > parameter to the nvmf_subsystem_add_ns RPC method.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > -- Daniel

Andrey

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 5480 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Nvmf target namespace specification
@ 2018-05-04 17:56 Andrey Kuzmin
From: Andrey Kuzmin @ 2018-05-04 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Thanks for the quick turnaround, Daniel.

On Fri, May 4, 2018, 20:48 Verkamp, Daniel <daniel.verkamp(a)intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Andrey,
>
> Do you mean on the host (initiator) side, bdev/nvme?  When you are
> connecting to a NVMe-oF target with the NVMe bdev (either via the [Nvme]
> configuration file section or the construct_nvme_bdev RPC method), you are
> specifying the address to a subsystem, and all namespaces in that subsystem
> will be exposed as bdevs.  There is currently no way to specify just a
> single namespace within the subsystem, but we could probably add this if
> there is a reasonable use case that requires it.

I don't think it as strong as required, but the case that has triggered my
question above was trying to run bdevperf with its target device
specification against a specific namespace at thee nvmf target.

As is (with effectively just the controller specified), it actually runs
prerry well, but I assume it does so against all namespaces the target
exports via the specified subsystem.

Regards,
Andrey

> If you are talking about the target side, you can configure namespaces to
> have a particular ID using the optional second parameter to the Namespace
> line in the [SubsystemN] config sections, or via the optional
> namespace.nsid parameter to the nvmf_subsystem_add_ns RPC method.
>
> Thanks,
> -- Daniel

[-- Type: text/html, Size: 3194 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Nvmf target namespace specification
@ 2018-05-04 17:48 Verkamp, Daniel
From: Verkamp, Daniel @ 2018-05-04 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

@ 2018-05-04 17:34 Andrey Kuzmin